Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here and hope to become GTA owner soon. There is a 156 3,2l GTA berlina from 2003 with 100,000km driven which I strongly recommend to buy.

There is tapping sound from the engine at cold startup. It lasts for 15 sec before it disappears.
Is there a valve lift that starts to be worn? Is there anything to worry about? Or is there anything else?

Need help / advice from you before purchase

Regards
Dysan

·
Registered
479 Posts
If it’s a lifter you can free them all up by folkowing the lifter guide here.
Basically you slowly raise revs to 3000rpm during 20-30seconds and then let it idle for the same anount of time.
Repeat many times.

Mine really did manage to flow some extra oil theough one or more lifters and became quiter after 20-30 times of this.

But the most noise on start up wasn’t a lifter for me - it was a small crack in the front exhaust manifold that sounded just like the clickwty clacking of a worn lifter.

·
Registered
823 Posts
If it’s a lifter you can free them all up by folkowing the lifter guide here.
Basically you slowly raise revs to 3000rpm during 20-30seconds and then let it idle for the same anount of time.
Repeat many times.

Mine really did manage to flow some extra oil theough one or more lifters and became quiter after 20-30 times of this.

But the most noise on start up wasn’t a lifter for me - it was a small crack in the front exhaust manifold that sounded just like the clickwty clacking of a worn lifter.
I had a similar problem years ago, turned out to be the front cat!.
Great engines but there not the quietest, especially aux tensioner area. occasionally i give mine a squirt with silicone spray, can work wonders.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
It does sound like a lifter issue. If it is, the only way of properly sorting the issue is to have the lifters (front and rear bank) removed and cleaned. This work is quite labour intensive though. It's not the end of the world if you leave it......but it becomes very annoying.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Could be a leaky or cracked exhaust manifold or were it’s joined to the downpipes. On cold start up it can make a ‘tapping’ noise and as soon as the heat builds up the crack closes up and the noise disappears.

injectors can also make a similar ‘ticking’ sound.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,
Thanks to everyone with good advice and help. Should check out the front cat and crack in the front exhaust manifold when I look at.
There is 10W-60 oil on the engine and the temperature outside is 8-10'C. Thick oil and a little cold temp can it have something with lifts guide making sound in the first 10-20 seconds?

Which oil recommends for summer use?

Thanks

Dysan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts