Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my N/S/F bearings had gone, I had a humming whirring noise which had slowly got worse over the last few months. It was louder when I turned right and more noticeable on smooth road.

Anyway, I've had the bearings replaced - along with the wishbone; the ball joint and rubbers were knackered - and I've still got the bloody whirring noise, although I'm certain it's not as bad as before. Could the drivers side be buggered too? Even though the noise continues to be worse whilst turning right?

R

·
0 Posts
I've had very similar symptoms in the past - a bearing type drone that I was convinced was wheel bearings. The wheel bearings were marginal, but most of the noise was coming from the gearbox bearings. Had to change both. This was in a 156 TS, so different gearbox. Hope you have not got the same problem.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, it doesn't sound like a gearbox problem and I'd be disgusted if it was, considering the car has only done 40K miles. If it's not wheel related then why the more prominent noise when turning to the right? When cornering to the left the noise more or less disappears.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Hmm, it doesn't sound like a gearbox problem and I'd be disgusted if it was, considering the car has only done 40K miles. If it's not wheel related then why the more prominent noise when turning to the right? When cornering to the left the noise more or less disappears.
I am very curious as to the answer to this as I have the exact same issue with mine but it only occurs when turning left. When I have the car checked over by a mechanic before I bought it he immediately said it was a wheel bearing issue "but could be more". I am going to have it fixed in a few weeks, as it makes me very paranoid when driving at speed, so I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was convinced I had a wheel bearing problem on my 156 and came very close to changing them but it turned out to be the tyres which were causing the noise.

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
I reckon it may be a CV joint, or the beginnings of a failed Diff.

The CV joint shouldn't fail at 40k miles, but Diffs have been know to. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
This will be the old 50p-shaped tyre wear. Constant bugbear of GTVs - though usually only those shod with Goodyear F1s for reasons I can't figure. Usually affects the rears mostly and latest diagnosis I've had is its due to worn shocks. Rub your hand around the inner edge of the tread - which you will almost certainly find is more worn than the outer - & you will find that rather than wearing smoothly it will be uneven, up & down, hence 50p. That causes the whirring & sounds just like bearings. You could also swap tyres front & rear to see if it changes.

Could still be bearings of course. Can be very difficult to tell front or rear. My garage changed a front bearing only to find it was a rear that was gone ...

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
You may be surprised at how much noise tyres can make. When I bought my V6 it had a loud whirring sound much like wheel bearings at above 100kms.

I had the bearings checked, then thought it must be the gearbox and luckily before deciding to have the gearbox inspected I swapped the wheels from another 156 and the sound was gone.

The tyres looked perfect with no wear or damage and from a reasonable manufacturer too :confused:

·
Registered
535 Posts
ive got a simliar type thing on mine. Its a kind of shakey noise.

I head it louder when I corner or when I brake. I was assuming its the right rear wheel bearings. hope it is on mine!!!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I can only repeat "Start with the tyres!" They can make a horrendous din as said above, mine did when I first got it (still bought it tho' - assuming it was just a bearing!) and it is again now. But easy to identify by swapping them around, etc

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

I have a whirring noise from the back. If you run your hand around the tyre tread you will notice that it's smooth in one direction but rough (the pattern lips/edges will be higher) in the other.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I can only repeat "Start with the tyres!" They can make a horrendous din as said above, mine did when I first got it (still bought it tho' - assuming it was just a bearing!) and it is again now. But easy to identify by swapping them around, etc
yeah, I swap mine around quite often now to avoid it - won't be buying the F1s again

R

·
0 Posts
I have this issue and only yesterday it was diagnosed by Alfatech as a worn F1.

I will let you know the outcome when I replace them.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've had noises just like wheel bearings in the past, changed the bearings on occasion to no avail whatever, only to find noise disappears suddenly on fresh tyres.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts