Alfa Romeo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
37,346 Posts
It might just be my area but I see lots of Coupes and convertibles around here. Mostly new almost new.

5 door hatches could easily get overlooked in favour of an SUV for a familiy orientated buyer, where as a Coupe/Convertible wouldn't.

·
Registered
33,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
There was a three door Astra coupe wasn’t there. And a 1 series three door. And a Megane three door....

·
Registered
33,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
It might just be my area but I see lots of Coupes and convertibles around here. Mostly new almost new.

5 door hatches could easily get overlooked in favour of an SUV for a familiy orientated buyer, where as a Coupe/Convertible wouldn't.
When I took our Multipla to wbac the guy there said they took quite a few BMW convertibles from couples who were new parents generally for them to buy a Qashqi.

·
Registered
198 Posts
In some countries like Norway there are tax breaks for 2 doors over 4 doors. But I also disagree on the 2 door vs 4 door kiddy practicality. I went from a 4 door to a 3door Freelander once sprog was hatched as I found it much easier to get in the back via a wider aperture than the narrow rear doors and I could easily fit in side the back once the seat was slid forward to work on the various buckles etc if it was raining. But yes, I can see the practicality argument. But 2 door sporty cars have always sold and still do. I agree with symon that I see plenty of 2 door coupes and convertibles. driving around even if they are far outnumbered by the sea of boring SUVs. BMW and Merc flog a lot of their coupes and convertibles from what I see.

But it's Catch 22- nobody buys 2 door coupes as none are available. Nobody makes 2 door coupes as nobody buys them. And return..

And I'd bet that most young professionals without sprogs would prefer a nice stylish coupe to a boring 5 door kiddy carrier. If they could be bought.

I understand that Alfa (and BMW) are historicaly sporty saloons and coupes but SUVs? It just doesn't seem right to me even if that's what they have to do to survive. Shame.

·
Registered
496 Posts
People buy hatches for the practicality, meaning the 3dr versions are less popular.

Proper coupes such as the 4 series are still a common sight on the roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
The longer doors are more practical for putting a child into their seat in the back but people don’t all know that. A lot of cars are bought by companies and they don’t want anything without rear doors. The 4 series coupe can be produced with mainly the same components as other models but their boss has been replaced by a manufacturing based man. He will probably do the complexity reduction that VW did a while back.

·
Registered
33,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
My wife found it worked when she had a Lancia Delta HPE . I remember her saying at the time.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
As a father and owner of two, four and five door cars I can't see how anyone can realistically ever say the a two door car is easier to get the kids in than a 4/5 door car..its clearly nonsense....a smaller door will always make entry easier than no door at all! And as said above if there is another car parked within 3 feet of the big doors is goes from difficult to just about impossible. This is why family people buy SUVs and five door hatches in the first place......and lots sold their impractical 2 and 3 door cars to get them......until the kids get big enough or leave most wont drive a 2 door for a few years. I love 2 door cars......but (as much as I own one....and a big one) and even though my boy is now ten I still don't tend tp drive it when he's around...a combination of the big doors and one of us having to get out to let him in! Loads less hassle with the 159.

Five doors does not have to be or look boring...my old Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2 was certainly neither of those things!.... I miss that car....even though of the 35 odd cars I've owned it was far and away the worst built and least reliable car I've EVER owned! Lol.....did I care?...did I f***!

·
Registered
33,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
“Clearly nonsense’?
My wife was able to get into the Delta and stand on the floor between front and rear seats because the front seat moves forward. She could then face the child and get them into their seat reaching straight ahead without a C pillar in the way.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
But a rear door would be easier than stretching into the rear (especially with small kids that need strapping into their child seats)....Im not saying it cant be done...I had an Audi Coupe with my kid was born.....Its just a lot easier with a four door. Thats why most young families choose a 4 door. So yes if you are actually saying a 2 door rather than a 4 is easier with kids??…..then yes "Clearly nonsense"!
:)

·
Registered
33,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I am saying that’s what my wife said and I know what she meant. If you read what I described you would understand; At 5’2 tall she could get into the car and stand directly facing the child seat, thus having eye contact with the child while she buckled them in.
Why do you feel you can tell somebody their opinion from experience is nonsense?
With some 4 /5 door cars your head is outside and you’re looking past the rear screen as you blindly drop the child into their baby seat. It was the case with the Audi A2 that followed the Delta HPE.

·
Registered
198 Posts
“Clearly nonsense’?
My wife was able to get into the Delta and stand on the floor between front and rear seats because the front seat moves forward. She could then face the child and get them into their seat reaching straight ahead without a C pillar in the way.
Yep, same with me. My issue is a very bad back and I truly found it easier doing it this way.

My biggest annoyance with 2 doors though is when putting bags etc on the back seat and reaching for them but I persevere for style.

Best kiddy carrier I had (still have) is my Chrysler 300c. It's fookin massive with tons of space and even the biggest of puschairs (my old trusty Baby Jogger XC) fit easily in the boot along with all my work related stuff. Rear doors the size of most front doors but still a pain to get kiddy seats in and out. I totally agree about the close parking issues but that was as bad as a 2 door on this as it's so wide. My solution is always to park as far away as everyone else anyway.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am saying that’s what my wife said and I know what she meant. If you read what I described you would understand; At 5’2 tall she could get into the car and stand directly facing the child seat, thus having eye contact with the child while she buckled them in.
Why do you feel you can tell somebody their opinion from experience is nonsense?
With some 4 /5 door cars your head is outside and you’re looking past the rear screen as you blindly drop the child into their baby seat. It was the case with the Audi A2 that followed the Delta HPE.
Same experience for me and I'm 6'2"

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree with both of you in parts. Cue2, I agree with your wife, alfaitalia I agree about 2 doors needing more parking space, otherwise they're a hinderance. So I park away from the hordes and have space as often as I can. My boy prefers the climb into the back as it's more fun in a 2 door than opening a boring door. And as he's autistic it's a lot easier to contain him and ensures that an adult can get out before he does, something that became a race and stressfull with a 4 door, and no, I don't use childlocks as adults get in there too. As far as my passengers are concerned, they can either struggle andhave a second class drive, or have a first class walk. They're choice.. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Recall that the Giulietta has been on the market since 2010 and reached its peak in its first "full" year of marketing, 2011, with a total of over 78 thousand units sold in Europe. Subsequently, there was a sharp drop in 2012 (the year in which the market crisis in Europe began to be particularly intense) with 60 thousand units sold.

In the following years, from 2013 to 2016, between special series and restyling, the Giulietta maintained volumes between 40 and 45 thousand units per year and then started a further decline in 2017, closed with 32 thousand units sold in Europe, repeated in 2018 with 26 thousand units. The 2019 data therefore definitively certify the drop in the C segment of the Italian brand, now one step away from the definitive exit from the market.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta: will there be a new generation in the future?
Once the production of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta ends (probably in the spring), the assembly line at the Cassino plant will be dismantled to make room for the new line on which FCA will make the Maserati D-SUV, the third model (developed on the basis of Giorgio) scheduled for the Lazio plant whose debut is scheduled for 2021.”
It did well holding its sales steady at 40-45,000 units per year during 2013-2016, clearly helped by the two facelifts and different engine/trim/special editions. In fact the 2014 facelift was a far more worthwhile refresh than FCA usually manage, with the extra sound insulation, touchscreen, subtle restyle (at the front) and material/equipment upgrades.

The fact that sales have declined each year since 2017 will probably be spouted as a reason for not replacing it - of course the fact the sales tailed off in its 7th year when many manufacturers have a replacement lined-up wouldn't have anything to do with it......

Alfa are idiots. They could've have had a replacement lined-up on the same platform quite easily, given the current platform is still pretty decent, but they've not bothered. They arrived in the SUV game pretty late and the Giulia entered a tough and shrinking sector. With nothing else to sell I'm hoping they weren't expecting decent sales? Roll on the PSA merger - hopefully their management will have a better idea how to run a car company.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts