Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I drove from Perth back home to Glasgow and as I was driving the other half back home I passed my brother (in a 306dt). He started following me when we got stuck behind a geriatric in 107 so when the opportunity arose I slightly depressed the go pedal and promptly left the pair of them in my wake.

So eventually I get home and my brother says "Your car brings a whole new meaning to rapid when viewing it from the outside" - meaning that when inside the 156 it feels so composed and never too fast but when seen from the outside it's like a rocket ship. I have to agree with the Alfa never feeling like it's going fast (except when I try to brake and realise there a ton and a half of car to stop :)) - just about every other car I've driven feels like it's going fast when it's going fast.

Does anyone else feel this discrepancy between being inside/outside the car or driving any other car?

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
Yeah, I get this too. Sometimes it feels slow, even when I'm leaving other cars behind. I think its because its a diesel, you don't hear the 7,000 RPM scream or loud exhaust you would from a petrol, and also with the torque coming in low and staying all the way through the range you don't get a surge of acceleration high up like you do on a petrol. Think this might be the reason why :D

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Think I know what you mean Puntomatt. The Alfa's have long legs is it? Smooth projectiles, I love even the hatch we have, cruises beautifully, with that nice bit in reserve. Never seems that fussed. PS wouldn't mind a diesel, after the reports you guys make, for a change.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Good Title

know exactly what you mean, when I first got my car I had to use the Speed Limit Buzzer for a few weeks until I got used to it, I would often find myself doing some silly speeds without realising :), (moved up from 1.8 Focus).

@ZF - the dark side in you I sense!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know what you mean puntomatt, I hope the new car when it arrives has the same feel. I used to have a Volvo t5 and once found myself impatiently waiting for a 3series to shift out of the way in the 3rd lane so I could pass only when I floored it to pass did I realise that the other driver had been accelerating too and I was already the wrong side of 3 figures. :eek: :tut: the stability of the car just didn't let on the speed that you were cruising at.

On the other hand my current car, fiesta :eek:, lets you know every one of the 30mph you travel at and I frequently find myself checking the speedo to make sure I'm not speeding.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
I agree with your thoughts Puntomatt - speed is a relative thing. It is soooo easy for me to break the motorway limit in the 159 and leave tailgaters/co-workers behind. It's so quiet and refined compared to my Spider. :)
The 159 is a pretty rapid car now, even with it's weight. Thank goodness the brakes are up to the job! :D

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Good Title

know exactly what you mean, when I first got my car I had to use the Speed Limit Buzzer for a few weeks until I got used to it, I would often find myself doing some silly speeds without realising :), (moved up from 1.8 Focus).

@ZF - the dark side in you I sense!
147 doesn't suffer from this, if your going fast, you feel like your going fast. (well mind does)

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
I actually like sitting in my car and to look at it (sort of). But the driving :rolleyes: :(
tell you what BF we will club together and buy you an Alfa and ship it to Japan.....:)
back on thread - yes I often look at the speedo and think 'oops how did i get there..?'

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
147 doesn't suffer from this, if your going fast, you feel like your going fast. (well mind does)
I think the diesel/petrol thing makes a difference (not starting any P/D arguments) When I had a 1.6 147 Courtesy Car, -3 times-, I loved being able to rev a car again, and it felt quick, but when I got my Jtd back the lack of noise/revs took away some the sensation of speed even though it's quicker. Just my opinion,
I do think I have to drive quicker in the 147 to get the same sensation of speed I got from my old Focus at lower speeds (haven't made up my mind if that's a good thing or bad thing yet).

Sorry bout late reply - access at work only -
rambling finished for now
Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts