Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We as a family went to Legoland Windsor on Saturday. My kids had been looking forward to it for a while.

What an utter shambles. We paid over £105 to get in (that was a special offer) then had to pay another £7 just to park.

We then spent the whole day queuing up for rides which lasted a matter of minutes. The place was overcrowded, people were smoking and vaping all over the park (Not just in the designated areas) and Covid control was non-existent.

The food prices too were extortionate. £35 for 3 chicken burgers and a pack of popcorn chicken, £17 for two ice creams and a slush drink.

I don't think we will be returning in a hurry.

The last park we visited was Paulton's Park which was much much better, but still had queues for many of the rides.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,980 Posts
Paulton park no longer appeals to my son....really for the younger ones and he's 12.....pity as its conveniently located for me. You can make a day easier at Legoland by paying a few quid extra to get the little queue jumper gadget.....affectively you are virtual queueing from the moment you select the ride on the gadget....your just roll up at the moment you would have got to the front if you really queued and get on.....no queueing! Its called Reserve & Ride (formerly known as Q-Bot). Money well spent as you can be doing other things or going on the less popular rides or eating whilst you are virtual queuing instead of wasting your day just standing there....usually burning!.
As for the prices....yep expensive....but that's theme parks for you...and they have lots of lost trade to make up.

·
Administrator
47,762 Posts
The year before lockdown, we got merlin passes through Tesco points and did Legoland and Chessington with a couple of days at each.

Maybe we went at a quieter period, but we didn't queue outrageously. We did find Chessington far better though. Legoland had very few rides which were genuinely exciting for my daughter (8 at the time). The fireworks were good mind you (actually, remembering now that we went for one of their special events, I doubt it was very quiet!)

Chessington had better rides, and the zoo part of it was surprisingly good too (helped by us doing a giraffe meeting experience).

Reactions: symon

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Sadly, the food at those theme parks is usually extortionate prices and crap.paying to park is something else!

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I thnk that's a new thing....Im sure we didn't pay to park last time at Legoland......

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I didn't have to pay at Legoland, but as per Symon's post, I found it abysmal too, I took my niece just before lockdown, the whole place was grotty, the food options were terrible.

The queues for the rides generally weren't bad, but a lot of them were generic fairground rides with a passing reference to Lego, we didn't go on the Ninjago ride as the queue for that was over 2 hours apparently.

Biggest gripe was nearly getting wiped out by someone in the carpark as the markings probably haven't been renewed since it was built.

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
My kids enjoyed legoland. We went a few times, usually there were good hotel packages to be had. Someone, I forget who, told me to be there when it opened, then immediately go to the ride furthest away. This seemed to work.

Some the rides were too complicated for their own good so you waited an hour, and got 15 minutes' explanation, for a 60 second go in a pretend JCB.

I don't remember paying to park but it's been a while and it may have been in the deal.. I hate paying to park at places where you're already being charged to get in. The NEC is the worst offender. Ten quid to park in some god-forsaken bit of the Midlands where you wouldn't otherwise have any desire to go, when you've already paid for a ticket to the event.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Depend on the NEC Exhibition going on at the time strangely .....the two caravan shows for instance (so Feb and Oct)....parking is free as is was at the bike show.....but not been to the bike show in a few years..

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Took my 3 year old to Paradise Wildlife Park for his 3rd birthday this June.

Bearing in mind it's just one child, I believe it cost us in the region of £80+ including a fairly over priced meal of chips and a low meat content burger each...

At least when we went there the park was sparsely packed as they had a social distance limit on the folk in there.

Also I guess they need to feed all the live exotic animals they have so it was a bit pricey. He cared far more about the robotic life sized dinosaurs than the actual zoo animals which he shrugged then walked past :cautious:

·
Registered
209 Posts
My two enjoyed a visit to Legoland a few years ago, but I think I could probably count the rides they went on with one hand. If I'd realised the queuing was so bad I'd have paid for the virtual queuing, as mentioned above, but I really think they could do everyone a favour by making it a standard part of the entry fee. It's sad and disappointing to have paid all that money to go only to be stood around doing nothing for most of it.

We had a discount so it wasn't as bad. I think they enjoyed the Lego driving school the most. We spent most of our time at the play area, which was brilliant, they were more interested in that than queuing for rides.

Tend to take my own food to these places, not because of the price but because... It's yet another thing you have to queue for! 🤣

Reactions: symon

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Attending Alfa/italian days at either Chatham or Brooklands the parking was free.
For theme parks it's also beat to take your own as the food is normally crap and very bland, not to mention overpriced.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Btw. Don't forget you pay through the nose for your wonderful treasured photograph from some of the rides. These places know how to fleece you.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Those places know you've got no choice but to pay and probably won't even go there that often, so they'll try and squeeze everything from their customers!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
We went to Legoland in July and our two loved it. Didn't find the queues excessive and they thought the pirate show by the lake was the best. We ended up watching it 3 times.
My biggest gripe was getting out of the car park. Why, having shown somebody your ticket on the way in, do you then have to show someone on the way out? Makes no sense and only made the queue to get out worse. Frickin stoopid idea.

·
Administrator
47,762 Posts
It's to make sure you haven't pretended to be a hotel guest and not paid for your parking I think.

·
Administrator
47,762 Posts
Alton Towers has a 'rollercoaster restaurant'. The prices aren't atrocious, and they do a pretty good steak too.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Please tell me that's what I think it is.

Hand Mouth Jaw Gesture Finger

I'm reminded of the cub troop who did that on Jim'll fix it.

·
Administrator
47,762 Posts
I'm afraid not. The food comes to you along a rollercoaster track (including a loop for some tables), but you don't eat it while riding.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Last leg-it to Legoland Windsor was, err, about 20 years back. Was not wildly bad then and the (then) anklebiters enjoyed it. But it seems to have slipped since then ... from what others are saying here.

Disney in Orlando was monumentally scary and disappointing ... again, 20-odd years ago. Never again, thank you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts