Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Merc in pretty good condition which I'm very fond of, a few people lately have commented that I'm lucky it hasn't been stolen -apparently they are a popular target to be shipped out to Africa.
It has been suggested I get a disklok steering wheel lock Disklok UK
Will it work or are they a waste of money? Will professional car thieves be put off by one or would they just lift the car onto a transporter and into a container at the docks?
Just wondered if anyone on here had any thoughts or advice on these or other theft deterrents?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Is the theft risk real or hearsay? You should be able readily find out actual modes of theft if they are being stolen.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,398 Posts
Sadly, the theft risk is real.

W/S124s are still much used in Africa and Eastern Europe, hence demand for cheap parts, and a source for them. My friend bought a S124 about four years ago and only had it for a matter of months before it was whipped away from outside his house in London. I think his was lifted as no glass or broken parts were found at the scene. Don't think you can tow them if they're in Park, because you need the key to take them out of Park. If I remember correctly, either the Police or his insurance company gently said 'you won't be seeing that again', as these cars are stolen to be shipped/stripped.

Chris - While that would question the value of a Disklok, I'd still get one. It'll put your mind at rest at least. Might be worth spending ten mins or so on a W124 forum to see what's been discussed there with respect to this issue and any useful solutions they suggest to ensure your Benz remains where you last left it :) Please don't panic in the meantime...but do plan to add some additional security to it.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Lifting cars, onto trailers, sometimes in broad daylight has been around for a considerable time.

If the lift is done correctly the cars tilt alarm does not activate.

Can't think of a deterrent other than a secure garage.

Any deterrent that can be seen by the toe rags is always good.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Tracker system should combat that. One that triggers if the vehicle is moved while armed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Tracker is your best shot, but if professionals want your car, they will get it no matter what. It will be stolen for order and so it will be planned. Will probably be stripped by the time the police / flying squad locate the car in a dockyard / warehouse anyways. Also police will only care if they think they can make a sting op to catch the masterminds not just to find one stolen car.

·
Registered
39,119 Posts
There was a news story about loads of w124 body-shells being found in London at least five years ago and a friend at the time had a rare 4-matic estate and he wondered if he was more or less of a target.

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly, the theft risk is real.

W/S124s are still much used in Africa and Eastern Europe, hence demand for cheap parts, and a source for them. My friend bought a S124 about four years ago and only had it for a matter of months before it was whipped away from outside his house in London. I think his was lifted as no glass or broken parts were found at the scene. Don't think you can tow them if they're in Park, because you need the key to take them out of Park. If I remember correctly, either the Police or his insurance company gently said 'you won't be seeing that again', as these cars are stolen to be shipped/stripped.

Chris - While that would question the value of a Disklok, I'd still get one. It'll put your mind at rest at least. Might be worth spending ten mins or so on a W124 forum to see what's been discussed there with respect to this issue and any useful solutions they suggest to ensure your Benz remains where you last left it :) Please don't panic in the meantime...but do plan to add some additional security to it.
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Gino, I did have a quick look on the MB forum, and found a thread about London 124 thefts which talked about an organised gang which was busted about 10 years ago. They had been lifting cars and the opinion seemed to be as here, if they want your car enough they'll get it. There was another similar thread from 2013, but I couldn't find anything more recent, which might be a good sign.
I think I'll get a disklok. I even thought of a wheel clamp chained to a lamp post...:scratchchin:
I will also look into classic car insurance so (I think I'm right in thinking?) I can specify a valuation more in line with what the car is worth to me?

·
Registered
39,119 Posts
Would the insurance companies have specific enough data to recognise the risk with your model with you postcode I wonder?

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
After the panic about how easy it was to add new keys via the OBD port
and BMW, Audis and JLRs being stolen in the UK reported on Watchdog
there was a total panic on EwokMoaner.com and they were all out buying disklocs etc
even though not a single EwokMoaner had had their car nicked.

Waste of time for the seasoned car thief in my opinion.

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Upon discussion with various contacts in the motor trade, I have been advised that the disklok will not deter the type of thieves targeting my old Merc.
As an alternative theft-deterrent strategy, I have decided instead to cover it with two massive cardboard boxes to disguise it as a Chrysler 300C Estate.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Wheel clamp chained (with a BIG chain) to a lamp-post seems like a pretty good idea. Doubt anyone would easily get away with torching or cutting off the chain unnoticed.

·
Registered
39,119 Posts
Upon discussion with various contacts in the motor trade, I have been advised that the disklok will not deter the type of thieves targeting my old Merc.
As an alternative theft-deterrent strategy, I have decided instead to cover it with two massive cardboard boxes to disguise it as a Chrysler 300C Estate.
The Chrysler was of course based on the Mercedes , but don't tell the thieves. Can you park so that they can't get close enough to lift it?

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wheel clamp chained (with a BIG chain) to a lamp-post seems like a pretty good idea. Doubt anyone would easily get away with torching or cutting off the chain unnoticed.
Apparently liquid nitrogen is used to super-freeze the metal in locks and chains making it so brittle as to shatter with a hammer blow.
There are comments on the MB forum amazed that thieves get away with these kind of thefts repeatedly and that it's worth their while for cars of relatively low monetary value... I am equally puzzled, but agree with the conclusion that if well equipped car theft experts want a vehicle they will get it.
Hence the camouflage idea in my previous post. ;)

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Chrysler was of course based on the Mercedes , but don't tell the thieves. Can you park so that they can't get close enough to lift it?
Not unless I double-park the 156 next to it...
and that isn't going to happen :nono: - the 156 is definitely my automotive favourite :inlove:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
You can bet that the markets where they sell the cars (or parts) have high taxes on imports of cars and car parts. One of the few avenues of palace/banquet/yacht-funding money some dictators have - taxation of "must haves" like cars.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The Chysler was based on the front of the W220 S-class and the rear of the W211 E-class, so about three generations on from the W124.

·
Registered
39,119 Posts
A friend who has worked for Alfa in product development did not give me the impression the Mercedes bits under Jeeps and Maseratis are that up to date nowadays.

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Chysler was based on the front of the W220 S-class and the rear of the W211 E-class, so about three generations on from the W124.
Whatever it was 'based on', in my entirely subjective opinion, it's a hideously ugly undesirable piece of ****e. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts