Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by pictures in another thread, I thought it might be an interesting thread. people might be suprised how little it takes to write a car off. All join in!! I'll start

·
Vendor
46,600 Posts
We recently bought a salvage GTV that was written off because every panel was keyed and the tyres slashed.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
518 Posts
In that case... my missus' old Rover 420 diesel, sideswiped by a French lorry driver near Daventry who decided to go right on a roundabout in the left hand lane. Damage - headlamp/indicator unit and wing as you can see, bumper all scraped up and mirror knocked off. Alloy was fine once tire marks rubbed off it, and car perfectly driveable - wheel arch liner just needed pushing back in place.

Declared uneconomical to repair and to be written off by insurers (Co-op); we found out the magic words to use which were "repair under contract" instead of letting their repairers do it (they'd quoted £1500 to fix it, about 500 notes more than what the car was worth). Final bill from the garage she always used for servicing anyway - about £700, of which we paid the £250 excess. Ran the car for a couple more years after that with no problems and it actually looked better than before the accident because the new wing and bumper looked so good!

It's crazy what perfectly good* vehicles insurers will write off.

* yes I know this one's a Rover

Attachments

G

·
This is mine......
sc001b65f2.jpg
sc001b51d4.jpg

Having spent 3 years doing a full body restoration and then mildly modifying it i was a little gutted to have this happen only 6 weeks after i had finished it

It only had 50 miles on the clock

I was lucky to get out alive, i had multiple fractures all down my right hand side and now have a lot of metalwork inside me.

The cause.....Joy riders who had stolen a car about 10 mins before, they came hammering round a bend on my side, i had no time to react, the impact was so hard the car ended up on its roof....

first thing i did once i was out of hospital.....got back in another mini :D

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,191 Posts
Ouch...

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
bonnet catch failure at 70mph scary:eek:

got smacked in the head with the interior light and alarm sensors, and little splinters of glass from the windscreen:(

annoying thing was, i was going to replace the passenger headlight the next day, still got it here with me:rant::mad:

·
Registered
46,602 Posts
came out of this crash, not even a scratch on me and my mates! should always wear seat belts
:wow: HOLY SH*T not even a scratch - you lot were very lucky! :eek:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was lucky to get out alive, i had multiple fractures all down my right hand side and now have a lot of metalwork inside me.

The cause.....Joy riders who had stolen a car about 10 mins before, they came hammering round a bend on my side, i had no time to react, the impact was so hard the car ended up on its roof....

first thing i did once i was out of hospital.....got back in another mini :D
Bloody hell Jay that looks nasty!! Glad you made a good recovery, someone must be looking out for you bud :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
annoying thing was, i was going to replace the passenger headlight the next day, still got it here with me:rant::mad:
Same colour as mine, Casual Blue. :thumbs:
Fancy donating the PX headlight so I can get swap mine which has failed and is letting water in? :)

G

·
Bloody hell Jay that looks nasty!! Glad you made a good recovery, someone must be looking out for you bud :thumbs:
Oh yes there was an angel that day....

It was 6 months before i walked unaided and i was in Hospital for 4 months...

It calmed me down for a while, and then i got the feeling back in my right foot and normal service was resumed :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did this on late afternoon christmas eve 2007. took the corner too fast oops. put a dent in every panel and took out every window as it went through the hedge then rolled over 3 times about 25 feet into the field come to a stop on passenager side left hanging in the air. can't remember getting out was in shock for about a week. also gate post went through drivers car door just missing me by a couple of cm's.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
My companys Clio - I wasnt driving, it was coleague and his 2yo son. Both got away scratchless. Actually, damage wasnt so bad, but the airbags went off - the bill made it writeoff.

Image037smanjena.JPG
Image038smanjena.JPG

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Same colour as mine, Casual Blue. :thumbs:
Fancy donating the PX headlight so I can get swap mine which has failed and is letting water in? :)
i know, i was the one that told you what colour it was:lol:

headlight, the only issue with it is one of the 3 mountings has broke, ill get a pick later:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts