Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaarrrrggghhhh! What happened today? Cold, clear, quite pleasant morning and in the space of 25 mins, 20 miles, I experienced more aggressive and plainly bad driving than I have for the past 6 months. Got me thinking, certain cars seem inevitably driven by poor drivers. Here's my observations - any thoughts?

The worst culprits.....

1) Merc C Class (drivers have attitude problems, think they're 'thrusting execs' and so drive like c*cks)
2) VW Passat (previous series). P*ssed off that they're not Execs, thrusting or not, so take it out on other road users. Think that they have a powerful German executive car. They don't.
3) VW Passat (new model). All of the above, only exacerbated by the fact that they think it's almost a Merc cos it's got chrome in the cabin and because it's new, they must be a 'thrusting exec')
4) Volvo S60. Anyone who makes a conscious decision to buy a Volvo is clearly a self-centred, inward-looking (as opposed to out of the windows, which would be useful) tw*t and sure enough, this is reflected in their driving.
5) Audi A4 & A6 (See 'VW Passat' and multiply it x2)
6) Porsche Boxster. Just enough power to get some very egotistical people into alot of trouble. 'I drive a Porsche, therefore I am'. Erm, it's a girls' car (a good one actually but I won't acknowledge that), you have it because you can't affor a 911 and 'ohmygawd here comes a corner, what do you do now, you tw*t!?'
7) Any Kia
8) Nissan X-trail/Honda CRV. No. you've not made it. It's not a 'luxury 4x4' and yes, you are still bound by the same rules as the rest of us. Oh, and Disco/Range Rover drivers sneer at you.
9) Honda Civic 'Sport'. Stop trying to be what you're not. It's just a red 'S' on a shopping car. It's as close in ability to a Type R as my car is to an F430 and no, your driving skills cannot bridge that gap.
10) Any young (invariably blonde, bad perm) woman in a company car. One minute you're looking at them thinking 'Mmmm, I would....', next minute, they've wrapped their Golf/Focus/Peugeot 307 around them like a suit of armour and turned into a spitting, snarling mass of deranged blonde curly hair as they wrestle both with their car and their severely limited powers of spatial awareness. Avoid.

Anyone agrre/disagree? Anyone else we should be wary of?

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
You didn't mention BMWs !! :p

I think it just the general standard of driving is deteriorating and people are becoming more and more arrogant no matter what vehicle they drive !! :( (Apart from Alfa drivers of course :rolleyes: :p ;) )

Gives me some good entertainment to watch on my walks to and from work though !! :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nomad said:
You didn't mention BMWs !! :p /QUOTE]

To be honest Nomad, I consciously omitted BMWs - it seems, miraculously, that the standard of BMW driving has improved of late. Think it may be because the drivers are so consumed with wondering what everyone else things of the Chris Bangle 'flame-surface' styling that they've regressed into their shells a bit......

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
What about 5 series repmobiles. Surely they are badly driven:eek: ?
I agree about the Passats.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
joegalsit said:
miraculously, that the standard of BMW driving has improved of late.
Has it :confused: :eek:

:lol:

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I know that your observations are probably made in humour Joe, but I agree that there seems to be a relationship between the type of car and the type of driver.

From personal experience, when I had my Celica, I very often felt like I needed to "prove" myself against other (especially male) drivers so was a much more aggressive driver than I needed to be.

I don't feel the urge so much in the GT, probably because it's not so in your face as the Celica (although it is nice to burn off a few Chavs every now and again).

I think the drivers that annoy me the most are those in expensive large executive cars who have the attitude they own the road eg BMWs, Mercs, etc. I suppose it comes down to selfish attitudes that they probably carry into their daily lives too.

I don't let it get me down though....after all, I'm the one with the sexy GT :D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
No, no, no, the worst by far are Skoda drivers :rant:

Oh wait, that probably has something to do with living in a country where 70% of cars on the road are Skoda's. :lol:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lynnb said:
I know that your observations are probably made in humour Joe
Oops! Now I wish I'd taken a minute to consider the female membership (and you particularly Lynn!) as I made my seeping generalisations about female drivers.....:(
Of course you're an exception - most of us on this forum are because we are actually 'involved' in the act of driving - it's more, much more than an means to an end. And I agree, getting to that end in a GT (or any Alfa) helps reinforce that attitude.....:)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(Sorry, that was of course 'sweeping' generalisations. Although some of you may disagree......)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
joegals said:
nomad said:
You didn't mention BMWs !! :p /QUOTE]

To be honest Nomad, I consciously omitted BMWs - it seems, miraculously, that the standard of BMW driving has improved of late. Think it may be because the drivers are so consumed with wondering what everyone else things of the Chris Bangle 'flame-surface' styling that they've regressed into their shells a bit......
I must confess, I was amazed this morning, as I attempted to rejoin a dual carriageway a BMW driver actually let me in :wow:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bizarre isn't it? Let's make the most of it, it won't last......

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the general increase in bad driving by large-ish executive cars is due to all this 'chauffer driving' which is about more than it used to be. All the cabbies think it's the same job with more money involved and so jump on the band wagon. The fact that they are more at large than they used to be in their rusted up, 15 year old, medium sized, japanese saloons makes life more difficult for the rest of us. All they are thinking about whilst driving is how to beat their opponent to the next passenger pick up. This will invlove:

Cutting up other drivers
Speeding
Driving at 40mph on the Motorway
Using all the lanes on roundabouts
Laughing at you when you horn at them
Wearing cheap 'n cheerfull suits
Sporting a greasy side part hairstyle
Clogging up local car parks & fast food joints

To these people, nothing is more important than the couple of bob they might make on the day.

·
Registered
807 Posts
BMW drivers are bound to get better, as they are now so popular (they've just sold more cars than ever before). You don't get that many agresive sheep with a bad attitude do you:cheese:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
alfatastic said:
You don't get that many agresive sheep with a bad attitude do you:cheese:
:lol:

·
Registered
38,288 Posts
I had to drive my mum into oxford this morning at 4.30 AM and there was a driver, possibly a TOG driving a Rover at 40mph on an empty dual carraigeway. Why?

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
joegals said:
Oops! Now I wish I'd taken a minute to consider the female membership (and you particularly Lynn!) as I made my seeping generalisations about female drivers.....:(
It's OK Joe, I'm as big a critic of some women drivers as anyone ;)

Probably doesn't help that I used to drive a Skoda too though :lol:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts