Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a shuftie at a chaps 'Sunseeker' motorhome the other day. Quite impressive what with it's mod cons an all.

Centrally heated, shower and loo, fridge, microwave, gas cooker, two tele's one up front the other at the back by the double bed Etc. Etc.. The drivers seat was like an armchair, and the power unit was a 'V' 8 Chevy. diesel. Any one else got one of these Romany rolling residences? :):

N

·
0 Posts
In the US they look like great fun with facilities all over the country.
Tour of the national parks? Yes please!

:thumbs::cool:

Here in Europe they make less sense.

We were inundated with them this summer. parking up on the seafront.
There were so many you couldn't even see the sea.

There are a few that are here all year round down the end of the road.
:rant:

And I bet they complain about the local Gypsies when they get back home. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Not that size, but I have a Swift PR580. Two berths, bog and shower, full cooker with 3 gas and one electric hob, microwave and fridge. It is based on a 3.5 tonne Ducato chassis. 2.2 litre diesel engine returns about 30mpg overall against 4-5 from the American monsters. Access can be difficult with a van the size of mine, so you would be severely limited on our roads with a Yankee RV.

France is great for motorhoming with their Aires de Service. Basic sites for one or two overnights with fresh water and grey/black water dumps. Many are free, those that charge are a fraction of the camp site fees (€3-5). We can get away with basic facilities as we have 90 litres of fresh water and a 68 litre grey tank. With careful use three to four days off site is possible.

Ireland is good for wild camping - the Gardai don't worry too much about motor homes, but will move gypsies on. we have had some spectacular nights almost on the beach, miles from anywhere.

We travel with a scooter on a rack at the back - great for local running about.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Following on from your comments Nev, Sunseeker was the name of the Motorhome I had a tour around, but I 'see' they also do cabin cruisers using the same name? Perhaps some of those RV owners that block your view both camp and then cruise? Rich folk down your way in abundance? :):

Yours sounds great Poolegan, and the idea of having a scooter for mobility is a brilliant idea.:thumbs:

The chap who offered me a tour was using it as a place to live while working away from home. Left hand drive, but as he mentioned that was acceptable for the time spent actually driving the beast between locations, and he admitted it was not bought for pleasure and leisure, so I'd agree with your comments rather too large, cumbersome and awkward for most UK roads.:):

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a lovely name Sif. Sounds like my 'crabby' old neighbor who wrinkles his disapprovingly at most things.:):

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scenic wonderment! Ideal for radio exercises in a 4 tonner so I believe? Never did wireless myself but I believe those who did from the wireless wing at Catterick took in scenery like that maybe? :):

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Following on from your comments Nev, Sunseeker was the name of the Motorhome I had a tour around, but I 'see' they also do cabin cruisers using the same name? Perhaps some of those RV owners that block your view both camp and then cruise? Rich folk down your way in abundance? :):
The two companies are not associated as far as I know. Sunseeker boats are made here in Poole and I think they would be less than flattered by the "cabin cruiser" description. I think they start the range at around £1m and go up to however much your budget is. I think they prefer motor yacht as the title for their offerings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts