Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my current televisual apparatus (A Philips Ambilight 32PFL8404H as many on here will remember)
back in October 2010.

I would like to get a 4K TV, but refuse to buy a new one whilst this one
is still functioning 100% even after 5 years.

Hurry-up and DIE, TV!!! :mad: :rant:

I may have to resort to PaulR's method and shoot it in the face. :eek:

·
Administrator
46,725 Posts
"Even after 5 years"? How long do you expect a TV to last?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
You can have two, one for best.

I've just had s newsletter about this TV, never heard of the brand, but it's frigging cheap :lol: I'll stick with my Panasonic thank you.

Ebuyer Mobile

·
Administrator
46,725 Posts
Looking back at the relevant thread on here, I bought my Panasonic plasma in 2009, and I've not even thought about the possibility of it breaking.

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
I bought my current televisual apparatus (A Philips Ambilight 32PFL8404H as many on here will remember)
back in October 2010.

I would like to get a 4K TV, but refuse to buy a new one whilst this one
is still functioning 100% even after 5 years.

Hurry-up and DIE, TV!!! :mad: :rant:

I may have to resort to PaulR's method and shoot it in the face. :eek:
Happy to oblige if, at the last moment, you decide that you cannot go through with telecide.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I bought a Sony in 1977. Replaced when it died in 1998, so you've plenty of use in it yet!

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Count yourself lucky, there's still a Panasonic CRT quintrix (sp, can't be bothered to go and check what it's called) in our house and there's nothing wrong with it :cry:

(Hashtag) firstworldproblems

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't bother with 4K unless it's an OLED.
Why?? I have purchased an LG 49" 4k smart to replace my LG 32" HD lcd, and the new one is incredible, the upscaling of standard HD from sky box is superb and all for £450!! Against what, £2,3,4K for an oled worth having? Roll on MotoGp...:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Im still quite happy with the performance of my Samsung LE46C750. Before I had a cheap 22" CRT (LIDL) which was supposed to be replaced after it died, but it refused to do so. It's in the basement gathering dust now...

the samsung is not bettered by the current HD tv'sI've seen, bar power consumption. I'm still on DVD (720p) here and 1080i through the cable so 4K is pointless for me right now.

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
It's a good point, we have HD here (or is it everywhere now? Clueless) I really ought to take advantage of the better quality of picture available....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Why?? I have purchased an LG 49" 4k smart to replace my LG 32" HD lcd, and the new one is incredible, the upscaling of standard HD from sky box is superb and all for £450!! Against what, £2,3,4K for an oled worth having? Roll on MotoGp...:thumbup:
Perhaps I should have been more precise.

Don't bother with 4K unless it's OLED and wait till they come down in price. More manufacturers are entering the OLED market and that will force the prices down pretty quickly.

Standard 4K is just the same technology pushed further and further. As you say, it's upscaling the HD feed you get, but in effect that's all the 4K TVs do anyway - they add extra pixels to make the image clearer. OLED produces light (and more importantly dark) in a vastly different way and the resulting image is like comparing the old tablet screens to a new Apple Retina.

I was planning on upgrading to 4K this year and did a load of research online before visiting the shops. When confronted with someone who seems to have a little knowledge nearly all the sales staff accepted that to get a huge improvement then OLED is the way to go. A couple tried to push the existing models, but the rest seemed happy to save a sale for further down the road by acknowledging the price of OLED is due to drop quickly. When they tell you to not spend your money now, that's when I start to believe the hype.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Penny pinchers here in or house as our Sony is now tens years in service? :(:

But the picture is still first rate compared to many contemporary versions we have viewed ? :D

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Just for the record prior to this 32" model we had been viewing on a Trinitron which I first bought when I was still smokin' that old E Type and a single in man in '73 believe it or not . :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts