Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked up my new Bella on the 28th of January (57 reg, 159 2.4 jdtm Ti - 64k miles).

I now have a to do list of things I need to get through before I am totally happy with her. Only trouble is, I don't really know how to correct them (apart from the obvious ones).

I've listed the issues in order of importance. But if you spot something that you think isn't rated highly enough on the to do list please let me know.

Advice on how to sort these issues, links to other threads that may be of some help etc etc would be very much appreciated. Some of the issues may need their own thread starting to get them sorted properly.

Here we go:

1. At low speed (low road/engine noise) I can hear the turbo whistle as it spools up and down to about 400 on the gauge. Kind of sounds like a distant police car siren. Is this normal? Or should I not be able to hear it? Worth worrying about?

2. When driving home from work last night with the car at full temp. Accelorated up to 40 in 4th gear and the car kind of hiccupped (mis-fired) a couple of times in quick sucsession as I was accelorating. No warning lights or anything, but not the sort of thing I want it to be doing. Any ideas?

3. Bad starting when cold. Takes a good 5 - 7 cranks before it comes to life. Then number 4 kicks in

4. Rough idling especially when just started, but also rough idling generally. Even at the end of a 2 hour motorway journey(?).

5. The steering is not smooth. Feels a little lumpy, and a little heavier than power steering should feel. Also can hear the odd click as the wheel turns, but only when the wheel is at '0'. The clicks happen with just the slightest movement either way. Kind of sounds like an electrical click. Reservoir and fluid change (green)?

Then the rest aren't particularly bad but things I intend to sort..

- Change bushes (slight knocking in the cold)
- Vibrating drivers side wing mirror plate when driving on the motorway
- The cigarette lighter assembly is broken and needs replacing as it rattles around in the centre console!
- Blue&Me setup (5.5)
- Replace Ti Badge at back of car
- Replace Alfa Badges as they're a tiny bit faded (being picky now)
- Replace Ti kick plates on door sills
- Replace manky key

Obviously the first 5 issues are a concern and I would really appreciate some guidance and advice with these.

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
quite a list you have there!

1. can you hear this in every gear? maybe it is a synchron (or whatever is it called in UK) in the gearbox because I have the similar 'siren-in-the-distance) pitched noise and my dealer said it is in the gearbox. nothing to worry about if it does not get worse. could drive like this for years. if you are sure it is the turbo, then try to diagnose if you loose boost during acceleration or if you have an oil leakage on connecting pipes.

2. have no idea, never happened on mine.

3. i have the same, though it is far less now. i was diagnosed with dirty injectors and badly clogged egr valve. egr i've cleaned myself, it very easy job. as for injectors, i've used wynn's diesel treatment. one bottle on one quarter of the fuel tank, and another bottle on full tank. it is far better, but still, when i'll have the time injectors will have to get cleaned and serviced.

4. mine idles rough only for a max 10 secs, then it is fine until cold again. maybe related to nr. 3?

5. this electrical click as you cal it might be the 'play' developed on the steering rack. juddering is related to the steering pump. if steering rack has play, this should be fixed because of safety. slight juddering and fluid can remain as it is until and if it develops a distinctive whine. if that happens, you should change the fluid to green.

this is my humble opinion made from experience through the years. be cautious and search second opinion if not sure about something.

P.S. - i also have vibrating driver side mirror. wonder what that is and if there is an easy fix. i do not want to by new one as it is quite expensive.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The kick plates come attached to the black plastic hockey stick, I have one in the garage with vituallybno scratches, but 2 small dents

Drivers side.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Turbo whine is normal, had my LE on Friday and it does exactly that. The previous 159 diesel had exactly the same noise.

The steering doesn't sound right though. Even with the massive 19" wheels on it should feel smooth across the steering. Is this when stationary or when moving as well? Maybe get someone to turn the wheel as you look at the reservior, with cap off, see if it bubbles away. If it does, do a search for 159 steering rack.

But I know what you mean about things, I am being the same with mine! Had a new thermostat fitted this morning by the dealer, free of course. And I have a new badge waiting to go on the front, if only I could fins half and hour to do it!

Hope you get the rest sorted.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wynne.

I think the whistling is the turbo. It makes the same noise when reving lightly whilst stationary. Hopefully this is normal.

Steering is a bit rough, a bit of vibration when stationary and whilst driving. Mainly at low speeds. It doesn't seem to be able to smoothly and evenly glide back to dead centre when you let go of the steering wheel. You have to help it a bit. It's not really bad, but it's noticeable and it shouldn't be doing it. Hope it's fixable with a fluid and/or reservoir change

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi alfred
Happy to help .on poor starting you might need an updated heater plug relay these where updated in july
2011 so check the part number with your dealer there about £92.00 plus vat.
Miss fire could be a number off things injectors,egr,blocked dpf, carboned inlet and throttle body,swirl flaps
not operating . as for the turbo wine mine does the same more so now its been remapped.

I would love to give you the answers to all your problems but with the 2.4 and the 1.9 jtd one vehicle would be fixed by doing one of the above and a week later another jtd comes in with the same symtom and its some thing
else one thing is for sure its fixable. i am really happy with mine just still not sure on the slight top end diesel knock noise needs further investigation.
On the power steering fault check the colour of your fluid it should be green if its red it needs changing with a new header tank hopfully you will not need to change the pump also the rack can also be troublesome.
hope this info is helpful if you need any further info feel free to call me on 01270 764214. cheers Alfie

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car is now in with Alfie at Heath Road Garage.

Fingers crossed she'll be how she should be very soon. Fingers crossed that she will stay that way too!

Could turn out to be a very expensive visit. But I'm getting the camblet, water pump, aux belt and PAS belt changed. Wheel alignment sorted. This on top of sorting the issues I'm having too.

The independant dealer I bought the car off has said that he will "contribute" to the repairs.

What should I be expecting contribution wise, seeing that I've been having trouble with it since the moment I got the keys off him, and it has just got progressively worse?

·
Registered
199 Posts
100% of you ask me unless you were made aware of these issues prior to your purchase?
If you were then I guess any contribution would be good. Why can't the Indy fix it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2009 2.4 Ti and I had some of the same issues. Here is what I did to resolve.

1. Not sure about that :-(

2. Mine has a judder similar to what you're experiencing but not worried about it because it only once in a blue moon. Blocked DPF back pressure maybe? I have spoke to a few people about this and another option is a bad factory map.

3. Mine took 6-7 cranks to get started and when it did, a big puff of white smoke. I changed all 5 glow plugs and blanked EGR valve and now starts on 2 cranks. (blanking EGR valve will require re-remap)

4. Mine used to idle rough as hell when warm. Made it really horrible to drive or sit in traffic :-( Had swirl flap delete/blanking and now idles beautifully. This also may have helped with number 3 along with the glow plug change.

5. not sure about the clicking, maybe try changing the fluid?. My father in law had a MK3 Mondeo that used click when steering. Was alright at speed but slow driving and steering, it would start to click. That turned out to be a new steering rack.

Hope all that helps :thumbup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
as for number 3:

Remember that the glow plugs are still heating up even after the dash board light goes out. so leave the key in for 10-12 seconds and it should fire up quicker with very little or no smoke from exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts