Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's three of them and they have a bolt head but they're more of a screw than a bolt. Anyway, the head on one of mine is all rusty and chewed up so I get my local dealer to order what appears to be the correct part number (7784599) but when it arrived it was a bolt and different to the part I have and the part that shows on EEPER. So what gives? Am I looking at the wrong part number?

The bloke on the counter was less than useful. He just couldn't be bothered to figure it out. "Imagine if this was a customer's car that you were working on and you had to replace the part, what would you do then?" I asked. "Oh, we'd probably just put a self taping screw in there." Hmm, nice....

Has anyone else needed to replace these screws?

Attachments

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I'm sure on my 156 they were a bolt type (machine screw).
Your self-tapper looks like a replacement that someone has used after the originals seized.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers David. I did consider that but because all three screws are the same I figured they were suppose to be like that. Would be interesting to know what other folks have on their cars. I was reading a few threads about airbox bolts seizing but assumed it was in a different location to this.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
standard on 147 is self-tapper for fixing on the lid .....
Nut and bolt are subsequent parts on the lid to fix the pipe....

partnumber you have should be correct, according to eper packaged per 5 ....

However, you can probably just get a replacement self-tapper from a hardware store, and go for stainless steel version ;)

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
It is a self-tapper with a hex head from the factory. That part number on ePer looks like the right one as per the diagram, but it shows qty 4, where it should be qty 3. It also refers to it as "screw & washerassy".

Can you post a photo of the screws you received?

A big self-tapper would be fine, it just needs to hold the airbox lid down tight enough to seal against the rubber pad on the top of the air filter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies chaps.

Dan, I didn't bring the new bolt away with me as it didn't match the part I had. It was just a regular bolt, maybe M6 30mm?

Self-taper it is then I guess! :bandit:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Wasn't a self tapper on my Gtv.

They were pozi headed set screws that screwed into inserts. Mine seized into the inserts and as a result the inserts screwed out of the plastic box.

I made some new ones.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I'm sure on my 156 they were a bolt type (machine screw).
Your self-tapper looks like a replacement that someone has used after the originals seized.
Although they do look very similar to the eper image

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update! Just had a call from the Alfa dealer and they've managed to get to the bottom of it and order the correct part from Italy. Lets see what turns up!

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Update! Just had a call from the Alfa dealer and they've managed to get to the bottom of it and order the correct part from Italy. Lets see what turns up!
Interesting.
I had a scan through ePER at all the 156 airboxes plus the 3.2V6 147/GT (which use the 156 setup) and the same screw is listed for all of them, which it appears is wrong.
I wonder what they have found and ordered.

My 2.0TS 156 was definitely machine screws into a threaded insert and thanks to vast amounts of Copaslip it never seized :thumbu p:

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
431 Posts
What was the outcome of this? I'm left with the same issue, having ordered exactly the same part number, and received bolts that are definitely incorrect...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Wasn't a self tapper on my Gtv.

They were pozi headed set screws that screwed into inserts. Mine seized into the inserts and as a result the inserts screwed out of the plastic box.

I made some new ones.
Good job, i like your commitment :rofl:

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I bought a brand new genuine airbox from partsworld and it used self tapping screws (3.2 GT). I immediately removed these and replaced with stainless steel screws of the same spec (cap head, posidrive). They are a little softer but they will never expand, sieze then crack the plastic.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What was the outcome of this? I'm left with the same issue, having ordered exactly the same part number, and received bolts that are definitely incorrect...
Sorry to say that the dealer was unable to source the correct self-tapping style screw. I think in the end Dan at AutoLusso had one lying around that he stuck on.

You could ask ransoman for one of the ones he removed?!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts