Alfa Romeo Forum banner

3101 - 3120 of 3158 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,102
The missus has plans for lighting.

I'm aiming for delicate, moody and restrained. Next doors looks like the aftermath of a trolley dash at B&M.

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,104
I've now got 2 L shaped beds built

they take some filling mind, though the dog has tried to help twice

soon I will be laying aggregate and wacking off a bit

then laying some self-binding gravel

did I mention a log store?

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,105
Bought an electric fire to replace gas. It is to be inset into the normal builders hole.

It kicks out a mighty 2kw, just like the 9.99 hyundai heaters you can buy from anywhere.

It costs just shy of 600 bar cos it is cast iron and looks like a stove. It is a pure vanity waste of cash.

Yesterday i afternoon I offered it up to the granite thingy, marked holes and drilled. Online advice pointed to diamon cut drills, but two ordinary masonry bits worked a treat - after hours of sustained tunneling and occasionally spitting on the bits (Fred's been out with her).

I offered the hugely heavy stove back to the wall, and the holes are substantially in the wrong place. I can't understand why, but tensions were high last night.

What do next? Plan is, drill hole biggerer, and then pack it with matchsticks and no more nails, and whack a big rawlplug into hole, and smll rawplug into big rawlplug.

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
You should have stuck to the outside stuff. At least then, when you got things thrown at you in temper, it didn't make a mess on the carpet.

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,107
The fire is secured to the wall, in front of a gaping builders entrance. Sit down for how I did it.

My tactical options for rectifying a mis-drilled hole in granite were as follows:

1 - replace entire edifice and drill
2 - declare the task impossible to mortal man, give up and sell fire on ebay at colossal loss

I mulled these over for some time, weighing the pros and cons carefully. I came up with the following solution:
drill MUCH BIGGER holes, much larger than any I have rawlplugs for, and drill them at a slanty angle - fracking style

This created an ovoid hole. I retired to the garage and rummaged - inexplicably I unearthed 2 mahoosive rawlplugs. No recollection or evidence of purchasing these. I like to think of this as some kind of benign intervention. I jammed them into position. On the RHS I also jammed in a small wallplug and 2 matchsticks.

With these in place, I offered up the colossal and weighty cast iron monstrosity - and screwed it in. Securely. With two tiny, thin, spindly screws. It is holding.

Previously I had chopped off the plug, making the warranty void, no doubt - so I could thread the cable under the hearth (and it's wooden sub-structure) and towards a socket. I had drilled small holes through the sub-structure which contained 3 cross members. The 1st cross member was easily negotiated - but the other two were unsighted, underneath a wooden plinth that could not be moved.

Into the ultimate exit hole I shoved a metal bbq skewer until it went through the bulkhead holes, then I cable tied the power cable to the skewer and proceeded to do what Boris Johnson seemingly finds difficult.

I wired the plug and now we have a working, secure, beautiful looking fake (real) cast iron electric stove which looks nice, feels quality, and kicks out **** all heat like a ten quid caravan spesh.

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Just thank goodness its not like reading a courtesan's diary.

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
What a returning post that is! Welcome back Zulu.

3101 - 3120 of 3158 Posts