Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3126 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this weekend i repaired some pointing, refaced the pebble dashed bit above the garage door (suffered bad water damage), treated it all with sealant (2 coats) and painted a nice shade of cornish cream

normally I am useless at DIY but today I am quite pleased with myself

why not let us know about your successes

please note - pro's and serious DIY'ers look elsewhere for your glory

this thread is for the knackers :thumbs:

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Replaced a metal hinge to a heavy metal/iron-type fence to shared drive. The original really needed to be welded back on. Couldn't be bothered with that botheration. Couldn't find a convenient one to replace with screws. So a piece of wood, undersized hinge, gaffer tape UPVC, screws, nuts, spray paint, drilling etc later... sorted.

... for now ;)

·
Premium Member
77,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replaced a metal hinge to a heavy metal/iron-type fence to shared drive. The original really needed to be welded back on. Couldn't be bothered with that botheration. Couldn't find a convenient one to replace with screws. So a piece of wood, undersized hinge, gaffer tape UPVC, screws, nuts, spray paint, drilling etc later... sorted.

... for now ;)
kudos :thumbs:

·
Registered
37,193 Posts
I need to do some DIY in our bathroom.

Whoever lived here before fitted tiles with hard grout onto chipboard floorboards.

Of course the floorboards move, the grout comes out and the tiles move about all over the place.

·
Premium Member
77,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need to do some DIY in our bathroom.

Whoever lived here before fitted tiles with hard grout onto chipboard floorboards.

Of course the floorboards move, the grout comes out and the tiles move about all over the place.
so do you rip em out - is there a "flexible" grout?

lino?

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
I see two problems with DIY:-

Soon as you learn something, be it by reading up or trial and error intuition alone, you can not unlearn it. Therefore, in my case, I find it hard to pay someone else to do it in the future. Which can lead to boredom in doing the same task again, so interest is lost and it gets put off.

The other thing is, initially you are praised by the other half (or other) but they soon get used to the fact that you can can, if you put your mind to it. Then expect much the same of the same or other, with little or non of the praise before :(

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
:rolleyes:

Well you know me... vain and all that! :mad:

Now BOT!
(Back On Topic!)
:evil:

G

·
0 Posts
Not really the hardest DIY in the world, but the other day i had to re-attatch the smoke alarm to the kitchen ceiling. (I accidentally hit it off when i was "fanning" the smoke away from it with a cardboard box, yes my cooking skills arn't that good either:lol:)
I didn't have any screws, let alone a drill. So i "no more nailed" it to the ceiling. Stood back to admire my work, smiled and thought "Damn, i'm good". Then went out.

Came back home a few hours later to find it glue side down on my kitchen floor.:(:rant:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I love doing little wiring jobs around the house and i have all the gear and not a ****ing clue, it really is only a matter of time before i fry myself.

I wire by trial and error:).

I have even been known to draw my own wiring diagrams, that only make sense to me.:)

H

·
0 Posts
I put up a new 5 point spot light in the kitchen to replace the florecent tube :D

The original wiring must have been done by a monkey as all the wires leading into the old fitting where red apart from the earth wire that had no sheathing :rolleyes:

Logic kicked in and I looked at which wire went to the live in the fitting and put a spot of tippex on it so I knew which was the live :D

Connected it up screwed it to the ceiling BINGO BANGO BONGO it worked :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 3126 Posts