Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, but all this stuff about Schumacker being the stig seems to have been taken very seriously by the papers and internet forums?

Surely it is obvious that he was only there to drive that very expensive Ferrari - probably the only reason they allowed it to be driven on the program.

Or am I being stupid?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My reaction was that he's obviously there as a condition of the Ferrari being allowed around the track, and TG are milking it. He didn't really have anything interesting to say either.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Is it just me, but all this stuff about Schumacker being the stig seems to have been taken very seriously by the papers and internet forums?

Surely it is obvious that he was only there to drive that very expensive Ferrari - probably the only reason they allowed it to be driven on the program.

Or am I being stupid?

No, you aren't being stupid.

But some people will believe anything.

Many years ago, TG did a spoof feature about an Astramax Van and a Lotus, drag racing on the track. The Astra 'won' the race, complete with builder driving and a copy of The Sun, on the dashboard. At work the following day, on of the lads on the shop floor was enthusiastically telling everyone how fast Astra vans are, as one had just wasted a Lotus on Top Gear. I refer you to paragraph 2! :lol:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Agreed, great to have schumacher on there driving, but the Stig thing was a bit sad. It reminds me of the Stig is dead stunt.

Yes, it would've been great if Schumacher was the Stig, but that doesn't mean that pretending he's the Stig is the next best thing.

Sometimes I'm amazed that such a witty guy (clarkson) can come up with, or at least go along with such witless stuff.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I think I'm right in saying the Fxx was his own car.
All the rest are red, with his being the only black one.
It was a good spectacle having him on but like you said, he didnt have that much to say.

I like the fact that no one knows for sure who the Stig is on any given day. Like a sad sod, I have searched a few times and you get all the usual guesses, but I still think the anonimity is a bitta fun.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Dont know why everyone is so concerned who the stig is. For one thing hes not going to be as good as Schumacher. He probably some poor out of work racing driver that now has a gig. Im sure they have different drivers. Maybe there just hired casually. Must be alot of racing drivers out there that need a job.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:)Thanks for comments guys, I was beginning to doubt my own sanity. I've had people at work talking about it all day and they seriously believed it. Now I can act silently smug for the rest of the day!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think I'm right in saying the Fxx was his own car.
All the rest are red, with his being the only black one.
It was a good spectacle having him on but like you said, he didnt have that much to say.

I like the fact that no one knows for sure who the Stig is on any given day. Like a sad sod, I have searched a few times and you get all the usual guesses, but I still think the anonimity is a bitta fun.
I think it was Schmacher's car. I am reliably informed by a Ferrari geek that Schumacher's Fxx was the last to be made, is the only one that is black with no white stripe and has matte black exhaust pipes.

·
Regional Representative, For United Arab Emirates
1991 Spider Veloce S4, 2003 156 GTA, Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari
422 Posts
And another thing......what a wasted opportunity. Clarkson's 'interview', for the want of a better word was shocking, focusing mainly on his own egotistical self, trying to make clever comments.

How about asking about the FXX instead of who the bad F1 drivers are or about Ducks and Curry's........I used to really like him years ago, but he's only interested in making himself look clever.

Rant over :mad:

H

·
0 Posts
And another thing......what a wasted opportunity. Clarkson's 'interview', for the want of a better word was shocking, focusing mainly on his own egotistical self, trying to make clever comments.

How about asking about the FXX instead of who the bad F1 drivers are or about Ducks and Curry's........I used to really like him years ago, but he's only interested in making himself look clever.
Seriously, I can't think of a duller interview than hearing about the FXX.

Is there a more sterile, less interesting car in the world? I'm not sure there is :confused:

·
Regional Representative, For United Arab Emirates
1991 Spider Veloce S4, 2003 156 GTA, Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari
422 Posts
Well, FXX or no FXX, Clarkson could have certainly asked more interesting and relevant questions than the ones he did ask......a wasted opportunity, I thought the show was about cars, not who can make a car float in the sea or how to wreck a pickup truck etc.......

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey come on it's entertainment i thought it was hilarous, MS as the 'Stig'. The Fxx was amazingly fast and but ugly (oh dear i gonna get panned for that one lol).
It was nice to see Mr Clarkson work his n*ts off on that wonderful Loco.....lol

·
0 Posts
My oldest Son came down last night with a smug look on His face stating "I know who the Stig is" - it's all over the forums <-- plank! :cheese:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Dont know why everyone is so concerned who the stig is. For one thing hes not going to be as good as Schumacher. He probably some poor out of work racing driver that now has a gig. Im sure they have different drivers. Maybe there just hired casually. Must be alot of racing drivers out there that need a job.
Why wouldn't they be as good as Schumacher?

Yes... Schumacher was World champ Seventy Squillion times, but don't forget that was in the pampered world of F1.

Put him in a Touring car / Rally car and I'm sure some of them drivers would show him a trick or two on the track... Look what happened to Mansell.

Each to their own discipline I reckon.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Why wouldn't they be as good as Schumacher?

Yes... Schumacher was World champ Seventy Squillion times, but don't forget that was in the pampered world of F1.

Put him in a Touring car / Rally car and I'm sure some of them drivers would show him a trick or two on the track... Look what happened to Mansell.

Each to their own discipline I reckon.
Well you might be right but Shumacher is a better strategist for getting a complete team around him to win championships. But as a driver as you say he might be the same as every other racing driver.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts