Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered what gives the FIRE-based 16V Twin Spark its lovely roar when it's pushed hard. There's the initial burble and cammy ticking at idle, at least on the 2 liter, and then beyond 4000 rpm the engine sounds like it's taken a huge gulp of air. Past 6000 rpm the sound hardens to a gorgeous metallic roar... wicked :)

I'm thinking of changing to a decatted header, removing the pre-cats while keeping the main cat. Would this change the noise coming from up front or would it balance it out with more noise from the rear? I'd rather not sound like a chavved-up Civic :cool:

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
I've always wondered what gives the FIRE-based 16V Twin Spark its lovely roar when it's pushed hard. There's the initial burble and cammy ticking at idle, at least on the 2 liter, and then beyond 4000 rpm the engine sounds like it's taken a huge gulp of air. Past 6000 rpm the sound hardens to a gorgeous metallic roar... wicked :)

I'm thinking of changing to a decatted header, removing the pre-cats while keeping the main cat. Would this change the noise coming from up front or would it balance it out with more noise from the rear? I'd rather not sound like a chavved-up Civic :cool:
I am not sure how they got it to sound like it does, but it is certainly one of the best if not the best sounding inline 4 cylinder engine fitted to a car.

The only thing I can say is that if you modify the exhaust and induction that is generally what you will hear instead, not the engine itself. Although just removing the Pre-cats should affect it too much as long as you keep the rest of the exhaust the same.

By the way, the 1.2 16V FIRE engine in my Bravo sounds nothing like a TS, it sounds ok, but it isn't really in the same league noise wise.

Whatever Alfa did they did something special. :cool:

D

·
0 Posts
It is a great sounding engine, I've had both the 156 2 Litre Twinny and the GTV 2 Litre Twinny, both sounded superb, :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I think the pre cats do have a muted effect on the exhaust system. I have heard pre 01 twinys and they definately sound more raspy than my twiny with pre cats. I want mine to have that italian raspy sound but not too noisy. Very difficult to achieve it seems as most exhaust systems and back boxes are too noisy for my liking. And bloody expensive as well.

D

·
0 Posts
My GTV was a 1997 model and sounded AMAZING when pushed. Did 130MPH in that car once and she LOVED it!!! :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
I too love the noise of my 145qv, especially with my stainless system. Sounds monsterous, especially at the more "spirited" speeds :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think the variator and varible length manifold contribute a lot to the sound. The changes in the sound seem to occur at switchover points like a VTEC.

S

·
0 Posts
Well I love the sounds of mine, I dont have a variator and it still sounds sweet :D

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
The noise of the TS has to be caused by the combination of the cam timing, the speed at which the valves open/close, and the exhaust/inlet port shapes.

IIRC one inlet valves opens very slightly before the other, and this might help give the engine its characteristic sound.

I know that the inlet manifolds probably don't make any difference, as fixed and variable manifold versions sound similar.

Also CF1/2 and CF3 versions sound pretty similar so that rules out the exhaust manifolds too..

·
Registered
46,602 Posts
Sounds very nice Katy, however even with a standard exhaust the engine sounds brilliant for a 4 cylinder.
Oh yes it did sound good before :)

Now it sounds epic :) You should see the heads turn going thru built up areas...im like a child :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
there is some thing abou the twinny that makes it sounds amazing, ive not been in any other 4 cylinder car that sounds quite like it, its that point at about 3k where the note changes and becomes more aggresive, love it and always puts a huge smile on my face!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My car had a gashed up stainless exhaust system on it. I took it back to standard and it actually sounded a lot better because I could enjoy the engine noise again!

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
My car had a gashed up stainless exhaust system on it. I took it back to standard and it actually sounded a lot better because I could enjoy the engine noise again!
Thats the thing, if you alter the exhaust or the intake, that is what you hear and not the engine.

All inline 4 cylinder cars with sporty exhaust all sound pretty much the same. ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
My workhorse Fiat has a FIRE 1.2 16v engine. The basic engine sound is completely different to the TS, but it does sound quite aggressive for a lawnmower engine :lol:. Pushing the 1.2 Fiat engine is quite enjoyable, especially at high revs (4K and above).

The 1.2 FIRE has reasonably good low-end torque for a small engine. By stark contrast, the 1.8TS is gutless below 2,500 rpm. The sound of both engines at high revs is good, but the TS is miles better. The TS is also a much nicer sounding engine, overall. At idle revs, the TS makes a beautiful humming/droning sound ... just like a racing car at idle! The 1.2 FIRE makes a very average sound at idle :(

1 - 20 of 38 Posts