Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never hear my car other than when I am driving it but I just let my missus borrow it so heard it from the outside as she drove off. I will never let the car go after hearing it roar off, Simply stunning :)

The downside is I now have to go to football training in a cream mini...I may get beat up

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is it on stock exhaust DNG? I've had mine a month and it came fitted with an aftermarket back box but I'm not too impressed with it. Only seems to sound good if you floor it..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a scorpion cat back and the only other mod is an autolusso induction pipe but I don't think that makes any difference to the sound

·
Registered
526 Posts
I regularly hear the wife in mine but only at very low speeds when she's arriving home, but even then just coming down the road off throttle it just burbles along and sounds lovely. It's loud but a nice loud, in a way you can tell it's a big engine and not some barry boy Astra with a big bore exhaust. It sounds like nothing else, even when the wife comes to my shop the staff know it's her when she's still a fair bit away. I tend to use the higher rev range but on half throttle when driving for pleasure as I love hearing that engine wind up. Floor it and it's all over far too quickly:biglaugh:

Had mine a year next month and as I only drive it 1 or 2 times a week I still get the same buzz when I start her up.

Reactions: ALFADOIT

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah its definitely a distinctive sound. My missus can tell when I am near when visiting her. My dog used to get all excited when I was near home too so even she recognised it.

Which exhaust do you have on yours?

·
Registered
Giulia Veloce
362 Posts
I had a Wizard cat-back on mine, I heard it last week when the new owner drove off.. It sounded amazing, even better from outside than inside! Such a distinctive burble, I used to get so many looks from people expecting to see something much more exotic than a 10yr old Alfa!

·
Registered
Gt 3.2 V6
433 Posts
A 10 year-old Alfa IS exotic! That engine is a legend and one of the finest ever made. Not parting with mine. No sir!
Yep totally agree there, even though it likes to empty your wallet all the time:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had a Wizard cat-back on mine, I heard it last week when the new owner drove off.. It sounded amazing, even better from outside than inside! Such a distinctive burble, I used to get so many looks from people expecting to see something much more exotic than a 10yr old Alfa!
She is a beauty, the sound of the V6 and wizard is immense. I've never heard the missus in mine though (I don't allow her to talk in the car!).

Reactions: edraven71

·
Registered
526 Posts
Oh yeah its definitely a distinctive sound. My missus can tell when I am near when visiting her. My dog used to get all excited when I was near home too so even she recognised it.

Which exhaust do you have on yours?
It's a longlife exhaust which was supposed to be designed to sound along the lines of the Wizard. It didn't. But they did make a one into two chambered back box for me when I complained about their 1st effort, mainly due to it being very, very boomy inside the cabin from 1.5 to 3k rpm. I won't go into the problems I had with the quality of the workmanship, which has been put right since, but the sound I ended up with is not wizard like at all but I still love it. To me it's more like the original than the Wizard from the YouTube clips I've heard, but I've never heard the Wizard in person.

The booming inside the cabin was reduced with the chambered backbox and the original busso sound above 2500rpm is still the same just a lot louder. Below that from the outside it's lovely, but from the inside I prefer the original as you don't get the boom. But there's no way I'd go back as I don't know weather my exhaust was in a really bad way or not but I found a bigger than expected jump in performance as well.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I had a Longlife exhaust on my old 145 QV years ago, even though I went for the 'quiet' option it was noisy and really boomy. Despite taking it back a couple of times it was never right and put me iff custom exhausts for life. My GT 3.2 has a standard exhaust and sounds fantastic to my ears, but would love to hear it drive off the outside.....

·
Vendor
46,723 Posts
I had a Longlife exhaust on my old 145 QV years ago, even though I went for the 'quiet' option it was noisy and really boomy. Despite taking it back a couple of times it was never right and put me iff custom exhausts for life. My GT 3.2 has a standard exhaust and sounds fantastic to my ears, but would love to hear it drive off the outside.....
They're not really proper custom exhausts though. More like generic exhausts customised to fit the specific car on the day. They don't do any testing, just pick a silencer off the shelf on physical size, inner diameter and amount of silencing requested and then weld in the tube and hangers etc to make it fit. Its usually only a few hundred quid so you're not going to get any R&D for that sort of money.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Louder exhausts are fine if the engine has the characteristic for it.

To be honest I always loved the standard V8 of the merc's. Very subtle but you know that there is a boat load of power trundling through it.

But yes Dan's quite right about the custom exhausts.

Think if I had a V6 I'd just change the back box for a little more volume or maybe change out the silencer to a straight pipe in the mid section.

Same tune just a bit louder...

Although

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sorry, no fans of Scorpion here, more of a dustbin really!
Without CF2s you can get away with a rear system with a reputable reputation, making sure you avoid those renowned for the 2k rpm boom (Scorpion, Longlife etc). With CF2s then anything other than standard is a bit much for regular use. Each to their own though.....but worth the extra £2-400 to avoid chavarama .... :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
My back box is knackered and will likely fail MOT in April. So will need to do something by then. Wizard is outside my budget, so was looking at Longlife or Infinity (both in Bristol area), at around £350.

But in light of what's being discussed here, I'm having second thoughts. So, is booming really an issue with these brands? Even with the milder, not too loud variants?

In that case I might just be tempted to find a secondhand OEM backbox...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I would avoid Longlife from my experience. I believe Autlusso offer a re-skinning service for original silencers as it's normally the outer skin that goes. May be with a thought..... I will certainly consider this if/when mine starts going (luckily seems OK at the mo.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought my scorpion from autolusso so hopefully they are fans haha. Not one person has said that the car sounds chavvy, nothing but praise thus far thankfully

1 - 20 of 29 Posts