Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
........ at a forecourt.

Set the pressure first. Pick an end of the car. Front or back it doesn't matter. Go to the wheel and remove cap and hold in one hand while you shove the wand on the valve with the other. Wait for beep. Stick cap on and proceed to other wheel. Move to the other end and repeat. Get in car and **** off. It is that simple.

Getting out of your car and slowly removing all the caps in one go, putting them in a deep crevice in the centre console that makes them difficult to retrieve, sticking the wand on the first wheel to realise you haven't set the pressure, generally dicking about filling with air to then take an age putting all the caps on is not an efficient way of doing the job. Oh, you haven't gone yet? You got back in your car an hour ago. What is wrong with you?

Jeez. Dumb people get on my ****.

·
Registered
14,446 Posts
It does seem to be one of those tasks that people make far more complicated than it needs to be.

The other thing I like is when people are done before the time they've paid for is used up. Personally I'd get out of the way if this happened so that the person behind might get theirs done using the remains of my 50p. There are people who just sit there and let the clock tick down before driving off. I find this both odd and mean-spirited.

·
Administrator
86,488 Posts
Alternatively use a 12V compressor & avoid the public ;)

I can't remember the last time I used one at a filling station.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are those compressors better now? I used one once whilst helping a lady in distress. She returned from the boot holding this thing claiming she knew not how to use it. All connected up the long process of inflation began. That was 10ish years ago.....I think the tyre would only just be at full pressure now had I left it on.

·
Administrator
86,488 Posts
They probably would take a while to inflate from flat but a few minutes would usually add a few PSI, having the car engine seems to make a difference also.

·
Registered
37,301 Posts
The ones which most annoy me at filling stations are the ones which park next to pump and then go and use the shop without buying fuel. Usually there is a nearby parking area for such things and they cannot be bothered to use it, and they normally park at a rear pump so that they are blocking access to more than one.

But yes, invest in a mini compressor. It saves lots of hassle (and 50p a time here)

·
Administrator
86,488 Posts
I love the tossers who put on the free gloves at the forecourt....then decide to inflate the spare.....and just to top it off....they fill up their windscreen reservoir.... it's like a day out for them.
At least they are maximising the use of the disposable gloves ;)

·
Premium Member
77,152 Posts
My current heart attack in waiting as follows:

enter petrol station, noting that there are 2 pumps free - both on the same unit, 1 on either side. Driver in front has option of which lane to choose, and I note they have the filling cap on right hand side (fully expecting that they will pull onto the left hand pump). I rub hands with glee, as I have a left hand filling cap.

Driver ops for the wrong pump. I have to drag a petrol pipe halfway around a CR-V, having parked a whisker away from the kerb to ensure there is just enough length.

Driver on other side stops me - mid fuelling - to ask me to come and help them work the pay at pump.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
My current heart attack in waiting as follows:

enter petrol station, noting that there are 2 pumps free - both on the same unit, 1 on either side. Driver in front has option of which lane to choose, and I note they have the filling cap on right hand side (fully expecting that they will pull onto the left hand pump). I rub hands with glee, as I have a left hand filling cap.

Driver ops for the wrong pump. I have to drag a petrol pipe halfway around a CR-V, having parked a whisker away from the kerb to ensure there is just enough length.

Driver on other side stops me - mid fuelling - to ask me to come and help them work the pay at pump.
Sometimes you wonder....

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Filling stations? Compressors? Took me ten minutes to top up all eight tyres in our drive with a foot pump today.
Not used a foot pump in years, memories of foot slipping off and whacking my ankle on sharp edged metal puts me off . I cannot remember using a forecourt compressor either, mini compressors in both my cars and a micro one for the motorcycle, surprisingly effective too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
We had a secretary at work years ago who went to "fill her tyres up". She had a couple of blowouts on the way back to the office. She'd kept inflating them until she heard the air flow stop ...

1 - 20 of 19 Posts