Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a bit of a spot regarding my exhaust.

It really is abit muted and one can hear the V6 but it just lacks the punch one would expect.

Thus I would like to modify the exhaust to allow for a bit more of a roar. I am weary though as I don't want it to be too loud where by I have a drone when driving at constant revs or sound like I drive a Tie Fighter.

Was thinking of the decat but reading up on it seems to suggest this will cause the dreaded drone. What about removing one of the silencers in the mid or back section? Any pointers appreciated...

On a seperate issue the idling when warm seems to pulse (doesnt really show on the rev gauge but is slightly audible). Is this a possible MAF/Lambda issue? Especially noticable after some 'spirited driving' (as termed in the Alfa Manual:thumbs:).

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Is your Spider fitted with the ECU on the inlet or is it still positioned in the car.
If it is still in the car just take out the cat. If it is on the manifold get two 156 2.5 outlet manifolds and remove all 4 cats.
They sound brilliant without the cats and will not drown unless you remove other boxes as well.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
The pulsing idle could be the MAF... the v6 is quite famous for it.

On the othe hand, if you have a lot of soot out the back of the exhaust and the fuel economy dips then that might be the lambada.. :eek:

Wait till it gets worse and then that will give you more of an idea. :)

For the exhaust, you want to get rid of the rear silencer and replace it with something the size of a drain pipe. The middle boxes take out most of the booming so leave those ones alone and just fit a more interesting back box. You can take the box off and hoon it around the neighbourhood if you just want to get an idea... ;)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Don’t know how you will get it to Durban but you can get my GTV’s rear pipe with the twin outlets for R700 or the complete system for R1000.00 but the complete system drowns a bit.
What I can say is that it is proven and works.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your Spider fitted with the ECU on the inlet or is it still positioned in the car.
If it is still in the car just take out the cat. If it is on the manifold get two 156 2.5 outlet manifolds and remove all 4 cats.
They sound brilliant without the cats and will not drown unless you remove other boxes as well.
Excuse my absolute ignorance but how do I tell where my ecu is?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t know how you will get it to Durban but you can get my GTV’s rear pipe with the twin outlets for R700 or the complete system for R1000.00 but the complete system drowns a bit.
What I can say is that it is proven and works.
I'm going to find out about getting it down via FUL

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Kaizer, You could always hear Jaxx's GTA. His has the middle cats removed with a box in the middle and one at the rear. Sounds Beautiful:cool:

Mine has the middle cats out as well but then I have a straight through pipe all the way to the back with just a box at the end. You would have to hear it, Jaxx would be best to comment on what mine sounds like, Bigwoof or Zorn have also heard it.

I think TN is trying to establish if your car has the cats in the manifolds? Its easy to see if it does?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Okay I'm going to take a calculated guess and say yes they are on the manifold... Ive taken some pics and maybe you can make a call using them.

I've also now noticed that there seems to be a nasty oil leak from the head gasket area. You may be able to see these in the pics? Might have to forget the decat and fix the leak if its deemed serious!

I'm on my phone so will go on the computer to upload.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Can not see anything like that.
The leak is most probably just the tappet cover gasket nothing serious.

Take a picture of the top of the motor so that we can help you.
Take one of the oil leak as well.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can not see anything like that.
The leak is most probably just the tappet cover gasket nothing serious.

Take a picture of the top of the motor so that we can help you.
Take one of the oil leak as well.
Thanks Turbo I will take better photos when I get home tonight.

I did circle the areas of concern on the photo in my thread in the SA Forum

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The pulsing idle could be the MAF... the v6 is quite famous for it.

On the othe hand, if you have a lot of soot out the back of the exhaust and the fuel economy dips then that might be the lambada.. :eek:

Wait till it gets worse and then that will give you more of an idea. :)

For the exhaust, you want to get rid of the rear silencer and replace it with something the size of a drain pipe. The middle boxes take out most of the booming so leave those ones alone and just fit a more interesting back box. You can take the box off and hoon it around the neighbourhood if you just want to get an idea... ;)

Ralf S.
Thanks Ralf ill keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would love to drive a car that sounded like a tie fighter :lol: and maybe with the lazer guns too :rolleyes:
:lol: my theory is that "If its not a Tie Fighter than it shouldnt sound like a Tie Fighter".

In total agreement with the lazer guns tho

1 - 17 of 17 Posts