Alfa Romeo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 486 Posts
Just dropping in to say hi, complete newbie to this.
Currently driving a Passat CC which i'm changing in Jan as kids more or less flown the nest so big car no longer reqd.
Had been a Saab nut for years and years (had 5 of them) but always fancied an Alfa, time seems right now. CC will finance purchase of the Alfa and college fees for junior. Looking at a GT or a 147, must be diesel though. Number of doors, size of boot not important anymore. Mostly it'll spend it's time on motorways.
There's a 147 Duke currently up on Carzone that looks good but I have no idea what to watch for. Also my last Saab had the 1910cc engine ('04 year) which almost broke me with repairs, though I believe they improved with age. Some faults I believe were unique to Saab though.
Anyone who can give me a little guidance re the engine and which Alfa may suit my needs, would be much appreciated.

Just dropping in to say hi, complete newbie to this.
Currently driving a Passat CC which i'm changing in Jan as kids more or less flown the nest so big car no longer reqd.
Had been a Saab nut for years and years (had 5 of them) but always fancied an Alfa, time seems right now. CC will finance purchase of the Alfa and college fees for junior. Looking at a GT or a 147, must be diesel though. Number of doors, size of boot not important anymore. Mostly it'll spend it's time on motorways.
There's a 147 Duke currently up on Carzone that looks good but I have no idea what to watch for. Also my last Saab had the 1910cc engine ('04 year) which almost broke me with repairs, though I believe they improved with age. Some faults I believe were unique to Saab though.
Anyone who can give me a little guidance re the engine and which Alfa may suit my needs, would be much appreciated.
Welcome to AO.

You'll find technical information on the 147 and GT in this part of the forum:

Alfa 147, 156 & GT - Alfa Romeo Forum

If you use the search function you'll find lots of "what to look for" type threads. There's a GT one running at the moment:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/762497-looking-to-buy-a-gt-what-to-look-for.html

The JTD engine seems to be reliable in Alfas. The Achilles heel is the swirl flaps in the JTDm versions (from 2005/6 onwards I believe).

Hi all,

I've had my eyes on a Alfa for a while, so when the time came to replace my focus I did the reasonable thing and picked up a beautiful Brera. Best decision of my life! :thumbs:

speedbird221 - Brera - 2.2 JTS - 07 - Red - Dublin/Wicklow

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Welcome to AO :thumbs: Congrats on your Brera & great to hear you are enjoying it :cool:

Hi,
Thanks for the information, will have a look at these over the holidays. Forgot to mention I did own half an Alfa as my first car, an '84 Nissan Cherry Europa. That's only for people of a certain age though.
Daas.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Welcome to AO & congrats on your GT :thumbs: Glad you are enjoying Alfa ownership.

If you are looking for any advice, info or help make sure you check out the Tech Lounge Alfa 147, 156 & GT - Alfa Romeo Forum it's an invaluable resource.

Wexfordian in red

So this is where yer all hiding!!

I wasn't aware that there was an Irish branch of AO...well whadda ya know.
Alan from Wexford on my third Alfa 156. Went from a 2.0L to an Astra Estate (cycle racing needed space - sorry :eek:) to a 1.8 black 156 which didn't like the winter of 2010 and cost too much to NCT so went to a snails pace Corolla. Recently I wanted a small engined runaround...so I got a 1.8 '01 red yoke!

So I have an Alfa 156, 1.8L from '01 - 97K miles on the clock in Russo Red and from Wexford. Since I bought it last Saturday I've replaced 3 bulbs and have a thermostat on the way. Now, if I could get a seat undercarriage so that I can lift my drivers seat on both sides I'd be laughing!!

Alan.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Welcome again Alan, glad you found us & yes there's been an Irish section on here for many years :irish:

Hope you get the thermostat & the seat sorted :thumbs:

Two more for the list

Variator - 155 - 1.8L TS (8v) - 1995 - Nero - Meath (stored)

Variator - 166 - 2.0 TS - 2001 - Nero - Dublin

The 155 has been off the road since Oct 2013, it still drives (very well, or at least did on the day it went into storage) but failed its last NCT. One day, time and finances allowing, it'll be the project car and returned to former glories.

The 166 is my day to day "run about".

V.

Hi there,

Living in Manchester area but moving back to a job in Dublin this coming February (although originally a Cork man).

Giulietta Veloce - 2L JTDM-2 - 2012 - Metallic Blue - Manchester(then Dublin)

I've been scouring these pages for a long time and hopefully i've made the right choice. My grandfather sold FIATs and Alfas in Ireland years and years ago so finally get to keep a bit of heritage alive.

Discussion starter · #56 ·
Welcome again Shane, I'm sure you'll be delighted with the Giulietta :thumbs:

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Welcome to AO Marklar, congrats & well wear with your GT :thumbs: I just saw a few pics of it in the other thread, looks great on the 18"s :cool:

David should that be brunello rosso??

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Or maybe 263 Radicofani Red, there should be a silver sticker with the colour details on the boot door if you are interested Marklar.

41 - 60 of 486 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.