Alfa Romeo Forum banner

3181 - 3200 of 3226 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
I shall be going to this next weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/events/488863361613700

Getting the ferry across on the Friday to Liverpool and driving down Saturday to arrive there on Sunday. Should be good to see some nice Alfas. I'm hoping I'll have time to stop off in Alfatune in St Helens to get my ECU remapped for the 3.0.

Also...I have another V6 about to enter the family. A very exciting project...:smokin:

·
Administrator
86,484 Posts

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I shall be going to this next weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/events/488863361613700

Getting the ferry across on the Friday to Liverpool and driving down Saturday to arrive there on Sunday. Should be good to see some nice Alfas. I'm hoping I'll have time to stop off in Alfatune in St Helens to get my ECU remapped for the 3.0.

Also...I have another V6 about to enter the family. A very exciting project...:smokin:
Sounds exciting on all 3 counts!
I hear Gus is a whizz with the ECUs
Looking forward to reading about your new V6

·
Registered
131 Posts
Enjoy! I’d love to get a ferry over for one of the meets in the UK do they do a couple of big ones like that a year?

Also interested in hearing about your new V6 and how you get on with the tuning...how much power can Gus get out is a V6 and is it with or without mods?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm interested to find that out myself! Id like to take it to a rolling road this week to find out what it's currently making. Don't know if I'll have time though.

I'd say they might have more of them since this is called the "spring" day. My girlfriend bought me tickets for it for my birthday so I have no idea about it myself. She did all the work.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Enjoy! I’d love to get a ferry over for one of the meets in the UK do they do a couple of big ones like that a year?

Also interested in hearing about your new V6 and how you get on with the tuning...how much power can Gus get out is a V6 and is it with or without mods?
3.0 can be remapped to 247 without mods according to Don Baker....
#justsayin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Serious looking job there! Would you mind me asking what sort of money they charged for the job?

I'm a new owner, picked up my 159 2.4 JTDM Q-Tronic Lusso Sportwagon in the UK a week ago!

- I'm looking at getting the Eibach 30mm lowering springs, has anyone had any grief with speed bumps (especially those square ones that your wheels can end up between)? I know it's only going to lower the car to Ti height so probably not an issue but I'm keen not to give myself any hardship or make the ride harsh!

- Any recommendations for a remap in Ireland or would it be best to get one of the crowds in the UK on the job?

- Any recommendation for a stainless exhaust fabricator, would love to remove all of the usual bits and get a nice exhaust on in place.

- Also keen to tidy up the paint so recommendations for a good detailer or bodyshop? I suspect I'm in the territory of partial respray more so than a good polish but keen to seek advice on it, might actually call in on Mallow Accident Repair for a look as I'll be passing later in the week.
Hi great choice of car, its a fantastic engine, said id put up a post seeing as i did the same as yourself last year.

I have a 159ti 210bhp and bought it last year as daily driver/ project car, the tuning potential of all these fiat variant diesel engines is quite impressive.

For a remap, i would recommend you contact Mr teapot from the vectra c forums, if you are any way handy with laptops or electronics you can read the map from your own ecu and send it to mr teapot, he will send you your own tuned file and you write to the car for an extremely reasonable price compared to any tuner in Ireland or UK.

I went with him because he had tuned saabs for me and the work he can do is astounding, knowing how to map certain ECU's is like learning different languages, and the only person i would trust to mess with an EDC16C39 ecu is mr teapot.

My own car had been mapped before i bought it by a firm in northern Ireland who re-sell topgear tuning maps, the car was supposed to be 240bhp and 480nm but after sending it to mr teapot he told me the way they turned off egr was wrong and they missed a lot of limiters, so the car wasn't what they said it was. No worries as he was able to reverse all their changes in my map and redid his own map from scratch, All i can say is the results are fantastic.

I have been curious as to what the autolusso/Alfa tuner maps are like from the uk guys but i wouldn't be paying their asking price when i can literally request whatever i want from mr teapot and he can do it. He has provided me with about 6 different files, 2 have dpf enabled and 2 have it disabled. One is a full power map, and the other is torque limited smokeless map which i use every day. This allows me to refit dpf for NCT even though the car would pass a smoke test without it. My car will also be getting a Hybrid at some stage and mr teapot will be doing the map for that also hopefully.

His understanding of these ECU's is on a whole other level in comparison to any tuner in Ireland and many in the uk, he does his remaps from scratch with his own mathematical work, All relevant tables are adjusted properly and the car therefore isn't tricked into thinking its injecting less fuel than it actually is, this is the case with most other maps from anywhere in Ireland as they really do not know what they are doing.
He can set up the car to feel like a vag 1.9tdi with a lump of torque down low, or he can make it drive like a petrol with increasing torque as revs rise, You can have the car whatever way you want. Have a read of vectra C forums to see the results of his work...
https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?183766-Teapot-Power-Remapping-Services

My advice would be to blank off egr and get it mapped out, depending on your feelings towards DPF, either fit a bypass pipe and keep your own DPF then get it mapped out, or keep DPF in place but be limited in what power you can get. The difference between DPF and no DPF is very noticeable.
Fuel economy wise, my own car can cruise around between 4.5-5.5l/100km but over an average it is about 7l/100km. Before any tuning+mods etc the car was cruising around 8-9l/100km and average of 10l/100km. Brim to brim calculations confirmed all these figures.

For your exhaust, if you are paying to have a nice stainless system put in then make sure the installer does proper mandrel bends, its not worth putting on an exhaust with a specific inner diameter to then have bends with a reduced inner diameter due to crush bending, looks nice but defeats the purpose in my opinion. Other cheaper option is a seller from Poland on ebay who does a few options for a number of alfa cars but as with everything you get what you pay for..

Best of luck with the car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi great choice of car, its a fantastic engine, said id put up a post seeing as i did the same as yourself last year.

I have a 159ti 210bhp and bought it last year as daily driver/ project car, the tuning potential of all these fiat variant diesel engines is quite impressive.

For a remap, i would recommend you contact Mr teapot from the vectra c forums, if you are any way handy with laptops or electronics you can read the map from your own ecu and send it to mr teapot, he will send you your own tuned file and you write to the car for an extremely reasonable price compared to any tuner in Ireland or UK.

I went with him because he had tuned saabs for me and the work he can do is astounding, knowing how to map certain ECU's is like learning different languages, and the only person i would trust to mess with an EDC16C39 ecu is mr teapot.

My own car had been mapped before i bought it by a firm in northern Ireland who re-sell topgear tuning maps, the car was supposed to be 240bhp and 480nm but after sending it to mr teapot he told me the way they turned off egr was wrong and they missed a lot of limiters, so the car wasn't what they said it was. No worries as he was able to reverse all their changes in my map and redid his own map from scratch, All i can say is the results are fantastic.

I have been curious as to what the autolusso/Alfa tuner maps are like from the uk guys but i wouldn't be paying their asking price when i can literally request whatever i want from mr teapot and he can do it. He has provided me with about 6 different files, 2 have dpf enabled and 2 have it disabled. One is a full power map, and the other is torque limited smokeless map which i use every day. This allows me to refit dpf for NCT even though the car would pass a smoke test without it. My car will also be getting a Hybrid at some stage and mr teapot will be doing the map for that also hopefully.

His understanding of these ECU's is on a whole other level in comparison to any tuner in Ireland and many in the uk, he does his remaps from scratch with his own mathematical work, All relevant tables are adjusted properly and the car therefore isn't tricked into thinking its injecting less fuel than it actually is, this is the case with most other maps from anywhere in Ireland as they really do not know what they are doing.
He can set up the car to feel like a vag 1.9tdi with a lump of torque down low, or he can make it drive like a petrol with increasing torque as revs rise, You can have the car whatever way you want. Have a read of vectra C forums to see the results of his work...
https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?183766-Teapot-Power-Remapping-Services

My advice would be to blank off egr and get it mapped out, depending on your feelings towards DPF, either fit a bypass pipe and keep your own DPF then get it mapped out, or keep DPF in place but be limited in what power you can get. The difference between DPF and no DPF is very noticeable.
Fuel economy wise, my own car can cruise around between 4.5-5.5l/100km but over an average it is about 7l/100km. Before any tuning+mods etc the car was cruising around 8-9l/100km and average of 10l/100km. Brim to brim calculations confirmed all these figures.

For your exhaust, if you are paying to have a nice stainless system put in then make sure the installer does proper mandrel bends, its not worth putting on an exhaust with a specific inner diameter to then have bends with a reduced inner diameter due to crush bending, looks nice but defeats the purpose in my opinion. Other cheaper option is a seller from Poland on ebay who does a few options for a number of alfa cars but as with everything you get what you pay for..

Best of luck with the car
Hi RF123,

Some great advice there! I've no experience at all with ECUs but I think it might be a good time to learn and get whatever bit of hardware I need to be able to do this as it sounds like a great way to go. I particularly like your mpg figure and the fact it's so clean!

Did you go for a custom exhaust on your own car? Also, what sort of figures are you getting for bhp and torque with your different maps, particularly the daily map and the full power map?

Any pictures of your car? It sounds like you've done some great work on it! What sort of figures do you expect to achieve with the hybrid turbo and is there a lot of work involved in the install?

Cheers,
Erik

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi RF123,

Some great advice there! I've no experience at all with ECUs but I think it might be a good time to learn and get whatever bit of hardware I need to be able to do this as it sounds like a great way to go. I particularly like your mpg figure and the fact it's so clean!

Did you go for a custom exhaust on your own car? Also, what sort of figures are you getting for bhp and torque with your different maps, particularly the daily map and the full power map?

Any pictures of your car? It sounds like you've done some great work on it! What sort of figures do you expect to achieve with the hybrid turbo and is there a lot of work involved in the install?

Cheers,
Erik
Definitely get in contact with Teapot and see what he says. I bought a cloned Kess v5 from ebay and you'll also need a battery charger as initial read takes 40 minutes but writing takes 2mins. This could differ for your car as ECU's are notoriously finicky. Teapot will also need data logs to be able to check + fine tune the map which i use MES for. PM me if you want proper detail, or depending on where you are in the country you could come to me and use mine to get comfortable doing it.

Mpg was the main reason for a teapot map and the way he sets up throttle sensitivity is the way all cars should be done. Full power map is basically 100mm3/stroke max fueling and it is fairly smokeless, only gives out a puff of grey haze in higher revs on full throttle, the limited map is 90mm3/stroke. Im currently running the limited map as i find its still quicker than the majority of cars on the road and im saving my clutch and fuel for the real power.

I bought my car up north and mechanically it was in poor condition, Suited me though as i would be replacing everything on it whether it was healthy or not. Ive actually done a huge amount of work to it but in simplest terms its had a new subframe, full clutch + flywheel kit and all new timing + aux belt parts, swirl flaps removed, the only thing ive got left to do is the turbo + intercooler which ill be doing in the next few weeks.

Once all that is done then ill be getting it on a dyno to see where its at. So no figures at the moment but you can probably be guaranteed around 250bhp and 480+nm on 100mm3 and maybe 230-240bhp on 90mm3, all this is pure guessing though. Also depends on what turbo you have and whether the auto gearbox can take it. Mine is manual so im not fully clued up on the auto box.

My exhaust actually partly fell off before xmas, so i enjoyed the sound of the 5 cylinder for a few months and then got a full set from the ebayer in Poland, struggled to get it to fit properly and im still not happy with it but the car is quiet now and it looks fine. I will go stainless in the future but its not urgent right now.

I was aiming to hit 300+bhp and whatever torque with the hybrid. This target may also require water methanol injection but its basically similar to what has been done before on this forum. The current torque is already fairly close to the limits, but teapot will map it so it feeds in gradually. Shouldn't be too much work involved in this as the intercooler + piping is being done in advance as im replacing the turbo with a standard refurbed unit so i can hybrid the one that comes off the car. Also need a new map sensor and maybe different injectors depending on how mine perform above 100mm3.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
86,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,190
Voting now open for the previous entries https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-room/1180949-may-2019-ao-detailing-competition-vote.html Vote for whoever you think deserves to win :thumbs:

June Detailing competition now open for entries https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-detailing/1180951-june-2019-detailing-competition-entries.html
Don't let the title put you off, it doesn't have to be a full detail, a wash & a clean will do, if the car looks good take some pics & submit them, please include some info on what you have done to the car :thumbs:

Check out the updated rules here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-detailing/745785-monthly-detailing-competition-rules.html

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
It's go time on Project 166. Hoping to get this to Terenure if I can.
Is that the 2.5 with 17K on the clock?
I have a few 166 parts if you need anything please let me know

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's go time on Project 166. Hoping to get this to Terenure if I can.
Is that the 2.5 with 17K on the clock?
I have a few 166 parts if you need anything please let me know
Hi Mufasa, that's it. 16,300 on the clock to be precise. Thanks, it shouldn't need much. I wouldn't mind getting fresh tail lights for it as the originals aren't the best looking but they are no worse than any other 166 I've seen. It's also missing the cream coloured drivers floor mat. I just need a windscreen for it. Not sure what else will be needed yet as I've barely seen it myself. I only brought it from the previous owner directly to my mechanic to get the belts done.

How have you dealt with the sticky plastic issue? The centre console around the handbrake is horribly sticky and it lets the rest of the interior down.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Hi Mufasa, that's it. 16,300 on the clock to be precise. Thanks, it shouldn't need much. I wouldn't mind getting fresh tail lights for it as the originals aren't the best looking but they are no worse than any other 166 I've seen. It's also missing the cream coloured drivers floor mat. I just need a windscreen for it. Not sure what else will be needed yet as I've barely seen it myself. I only brought it from the previous owner directly to my mechanic to get the belts done.

How have you dealt with the sticky plastic issue? The centre console around the handbrake is horribly sticky and it lets the rest of the interior down.
The 164/166 forum should have posts to help you re rejuvenating the lights and the sticky plastic issue.
Wise man re straight to the mechanic!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Belated Import Of 76 GTV 105

A long time ago, back in 2002, I imported a 76 GTV 105 into Ireland from South Africa. At the time I paid the import duties, etc however I did not register the car at the time. Then the children came along and the car was forgotten in lieu of paying bills and changing nappies.

Recently I approached the local NCT office about completing the registration and they gave me a long list of items to be provided. Unfortunately I cannot locate the receipt for the import charges I paid (She was 26 at time of import).

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Administrator
86,484 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
A long time ago, back in 2002, I imported a 76 GTV 105 into Ireland from South Africa. At the time I paid the import duties, etc however I did not register the car at the time. Then the children came along and the car was forgotten in lieu of paying bills and changing nappies.

Recently I approached the local NCT office about completing the registration and they gave me a long list of items to be provided. Unfortunately I cannot locate the receipt for the import charges I paid (She was 26 at time of import).

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
If your on facebook, these guys will be able to help.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1514095852225470/?multi_permalinks=2049387428696307&notif_id=1561221833270672&notif_t=group_highlights

They are a good group with a lot of knowledge. Its a closed group so you have to ask to join.

·
Administrator
86,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,199
Voting now open for the previous entries https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-room/1182367-june-2019-ao-detailing-competition-vote.html Vote for whoever you think deserves to win :thumbs:

July Detailing competition now open for entries https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-detailing/1182369-july-2019-detailing-competition-entries.html
Don't let the title put you off, it doesn't have to be a full detail, a wash & a clean will do, if the car looks good take some pics & submit them, please include some info on what you have done to the car :thumbs:

·
Administrator
86,484 Posts
3181 - 3200 of 3226 Posts