Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, evening all,

Not sure if any of you watch this on BBC 2. It's very gentle (and quite soothing) viewing. Nice to see experts and their skills at work bringing life back to much-loved items. Worth a watch :)

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Love it.

In the 90's I was self employed, for approx 8 years, as a stained glass maker/repairer and occasionally had to turn my hand to other forms of restoration (mainly iron work and rustic furniture)

Watching this show takes me back. I loved taking an old knackered thing and returning it to its former glory (most of the time).

It is very soothing and very satisfying to watch :)

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Love it.

In the 90's I was self employed, for approx 8 years, as a stained glass maker/repairer and occasionally had to turn my hand to other forms of restoration (mainly iron work and rustic furniture)

Watching this show takes me back. I loved taking an old knackered thing and returning it to its former glory (most of the time).

It is very soothing and very satisfying to watch :)

So do I....it's a relaxing programme....people doing what they love...instead of just throwing it away and getting a new one.

Dear God...i hate gardening...but i am starting to worship Monty Don !!!

Are we losing that in the internet world ??

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to see you guys enjoy it, too :). I think the shop is located on a working farm that you can visit.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
Perhaps they could rebuild our Dualit toaster. After thirty years it needs a new timer switch and Dualit will fix it for £15-20 but I have packaged it up ready to send to their place near to Gatwick and the postage will probably exceed that. In he meantime my wife bought a temporary toaster while she was picking up some food at the supermarket, for £10.
No wonder there's a built in obsolescence culture.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Dualit timer switch is an easy change. You just need the bizarre imperial spanners that their nuts seem to be. I think the main one is 5.5 mm or something.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
I know , but the customer service line advised that ours is over the age where they've got a timer they can supply and it needs to be rewired, by them. Seemed cheap before the cost of postage and all the hassle of getting posted came into it.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
The reply went as follows; "so, with this timer we no longer have them to be able to fit your toaster. However, we can fit a new timer in the toaster (Mi7) but it will need to come in for us to do and we will need to do a rewire on it to enable the new timer to work."

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
No , Crawley.

"You can return the Unit to our Service Centre at the address below with a covering letter stating what is wrong and your contact details. The standard repair charge is £10 + vat plus any parts required & return carriage. Once our engineer has inspected the item, we will provide an estimate for repair before proceeding with any work.

Repairs Department, Dualit Ltd, County Oak Way, Crawley, West Sussex, RH11 7ST"

But it is suspiciously close to,the airport.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks OP...... read this thread and onto iplayer for a quick look at programme.....ended up binge watching and wife is hooked too. Finally crawled into bed after one this morning. The alarm goes off at 0530! Its going to be a long day...
And yes great to watch old things being brought back to life said the wife looking at me

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Perhaps they could rebuild our Dualit toaster. After thirty years it needs a new timer switch and Dualit will fix it for £15-20 but I have packaged it up ready to send to their place near to Gatwick and the postage will probably exceed that. In he meantime my wife bought a temporary toaster while she was picking up some food at the supermarket, for £10.
No wonder there's a built in obsolescence culture.
I've had mine for a similar time. I have a spare timer for mine. I've done the elements a few times so know how it all comes apart. If you want to get a timer off eBay and bring it over I'll do it for nothing. Alternatively I'll fit mine and you then get a replacement for me.

When I used to get spare elements from Dualit in S.E.15 I'd phone an 01 number, they'd say how much it was and I'd send a cheque.

Think this is the one you'll need. I could go into the loft/spares depot and have a look!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-4-Min-RunBack-Timer-Control-Unit-For-Dualit-Toaster-2-3-4-6-Slices-Mi2/163174719243?hash=item25fdf89f0b:g:r~8AAOSwQQBbInJQ
Just did, the spare I have is as above. So I looked at the one in mine and it is Junghans, made in Italy. Strangely not like either shown as being early or later types and is marked ' NOT U.K.'.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Glad to see you guys enjoy it, too :). I think the shop is located on a working farm that you can visit.
No...it's recorded at Singleton Open Air Museum (now known as the Weald and Downland Museum)....just up the road from me near Chichester. The museum finds old derelict buildings of historical interest that are in danger of demolition (or just falling down) and take them down brick by brick and rebuilt them in the museum. The bakery there used to be in Walderton....a mile from where I lived as a kid and we used to play in it as children....it was very dangerous...we stopped playing there when my mate fell through the rotten upstairs floor!...Happy days!
Here it is...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts