1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV LE 500 - YouTube

OMG

It just looks RIGHT with the color of the 159Ti wheel and the 8C paint

spoke to him over facebook, the coilies he says are better than the springs, driving my bro in law's car on coilies I can attest, its better than standard!

And yes...I asked him if I can steal that BREMBO sticker in the fender well idea!:cheese:

https://www.facebook.com/AlfaRomeoGiuliettaQvLe500

And the best part??? When the G facelift comes I can get it and trasfer all my mods from 0km!!!:cheese:

Life is full of winning!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm accepting donations...

KW V1 coilovers retail at R16500.
BC coilies for Dodge Dart(Giulietta platform) R9500
Novitec 1 coilovers(made by KW) R13500

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a grinder :cheese:
LMFAO I was thinking the same thing!!!

I inspected my stock springs and it seems they are the ones that CAN be safely cut!

I did it on my Giulietta and I'm going to do it on my dad's GTV.

It's wifely frowned upon but let's see...

See this, safely done and why it CAN be done and to which spring.

"Coil springs have 3 basic type of ends -
Tangential- where the end of the coil continues to twist off into space. A spring with a tangential end would fall over if you tried to stand it on its end.
Square – the last coil bends back down to touch the coil below it. This style end allows the spring to stand up when placed on this end
Pigtail – the last coil of the spring is the square type but has a much smaller diameter than the coils in the body of the spring."

"The only Coil Spring Ends that can be safely cut are Tangential Ends.
Because Square ends and Pigtail ends are designed to make full contact with their mounting points, they would have to be re-shaped after they were cut. But in order to re-shape them the steel would have to be heated and heat is a spring’s worst enemy.
So, Coil springs with Square or Pigtail ends can not be safely cut."

And can you guess what spring type the GQV has??? Oh yeah...

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV LE 500 - YouTube

OMG

It just looks RIGHT with the color of the 159Ti wheel and the 8C paint

spoke to him over facebook, the coilies he says are better than the springs, driving my bro in law's car on coilies I can attest, its better than standard!

And yes...I asked him if I can steal that BREMBO sticker in the fender well idea!:cheese:

https://www.facebook.com/AlfaRomeoGiuliettaQvLe500[/ur And the best part??? When the G facelift comes I can get it and trasfer all my mods from 0km!!!:cheese: Life is full of winning![/QUOTE] Amazing video! Looks great in 8c red!:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I'm accepting donations...

KW V1 coilovers retail at R16500.
BC coilies for Dodge Dart(Giulietta platform) R9500
Novitec 1 coilovers(made by KW) R13500
D2 coilovers for 156 was R9500 from local agent - lead time about 3 weeks

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
D2 coilovers for 156 was R9500 from local agent - lead time about 3 weeks
Yeah hey don't have a coilover kit for the GQV...which is strange considering the car is 4 yeas into the market.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hhhmmmm and it gets even MORE interesting!

I've spoken to a guy at IAC who'se been doing this for years...don't they all? He can manufacture a spring according to the spec I want (50mm - I'll go take measurements today) and his process is ISO 9001/2008 DQS approved. It will take about a week from studying my original springs to manufacturing and he explained the process and QA test for me...sounds like a nice guy.

So, for all you looking to get some locally made springs I'll make some and then test them and give you some feedback. I just want it to eliminate dreaded fender gap, I'll get the bilstein shocks on order!

http://www.coilsprings.co.za/about-us

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Because the compressed springs are worse than cut springs.

These guys will manufacture a completely new spring according to spec.

Look I'm not expecting miracles or a KW V2 coilover ride quality...I'd just like to test the waters, this is what I always do. The low will be lovely and then I'll be even more pressed to save for proper coilies to give methe proper ride quality.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Why not just compress your original springs?
That is called pre-load and will not help unless you compress it more than the car's weight will compress it - then the spring won't move if you go over bumps - bad idea.

Pre-load is a cool idea for bikes where you need light springs to react to bumps, but you don't want to bounce around and you don't want your bike to rise up to much when you get on/off... In a car playing with pre-load make very little sense

Coilover Spring Preload Explained | ZoomSquared
Look back at our first example with no preload. You end up with the exact same amount of spring compression (2.3 inches) regardless of whether or not there was any preload!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts