Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After so many of you had kindly pointed out my error (brill bobda:)), I put the correct graph in the original thread, but then realised that it would be lost after a few replies, in the interest of regaining my SOME of my integrity here is the correct one, (well they all look the same on thumbnails dont they!!!:))

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
With the mods you have planned I would expect the torque curve to iron out between 2k-3.5k rpm, thus giving you a smoother power delivery at the lower-end. I'd like to see the bhp rise slightly sharper towards the 6700rpm mark too.

We'll have to wait and see. ;)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes after years of thinking that bhp was everything i now realise that its torque thats needed, the "pull" felt when accelerating comes in exactly where the graph shows the greatest torque, and at that point its only making 90bhp, so for everyday driving its torque im after, after all its not exactly practical to be hitting 6.5k revs all the time for max bhp, so when it comes to the mods/re map im hoping that the torque curve moves to the left (and up of course), wish this damn weather would clear up so i can get started on it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yes after years of thinking that bhp was everything i now realise that its torque thats needed...
Yep, which is why so many people like the newer TDI engines. And the same reason why my Corrado VR6 spent so much time on the rollers - after remaps and a Schrick inlet manifold it eventually hit it's sweet spot @ 210bhp / 224ft lb. Believe me, it pulled like a train all the way to 120mph. My GTV (pulling around 230bhp / 210ft lb, almost the complete opposite in values) can only compete when at high rpms.

If you ever get the chance, try something like the new Audi A4 Quattro 3.0 TDI. It's diesel engine only offers 136bhp/ton but it can hit 60mph in the same time as the GTV V6! It's torque is the secret; all 370ft lb of it!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Torque is very important but it is not the be and end all.

How many times have I seen a 'mad mapped' JTD ripped to shreds by a GTA!

K

·
0 Posts
It's diesel engine only offers 136bhp/ton but it can hit 60mph in the same time as the GTV V6! It's torque is the secret; all 370ft lb of it!
Sounds like something said in an episode of top gear. :)

Its probably more to do with the 4 wheel drive system of the Quattro doing a better job of delivering the thrust to the road surface (versus the GTV's front wheel drive which is hopeless at a fast standing start).

From a rolling start the power to weight advantage of the GTV will win out.

Quoting a single torque figure (sans RPM) like they always seem to do on Top Gear is meaningless. Quoting a power figure gives you a little more to go on but a graph is the only way to get an idea of performance from paper - and then, like msgtv says, the Torque curve is the one to look at - you can really see where it kicks in :)

Thanks for posting the graph. Very informative.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sounds like something said in an episode of top gear. :)

Its probably more to do with the 4 wheel drive system of the Quattro doing a better job of delivering the thrust to the road surface (versus the GTV's front wheel drive which is hopeless at a fast standing start).

From a rolling start the power to weight advantage of the GTV will win out.
Actually the 4WD system does tend to bog down slightly but yeah, I get what you're saying. And you're right, the GTV does win out, I know because I did just that.

My comment on the Audi was only meant to serve as an example of what torque can achieve. Although that particular car isn't exactly short on bhp either! :lol: The best way to realise how important torque is, is to drive a low-torque Mazda RX-8. Unless you drive it at high revs everywhere it's a dog, like many Japanese cars I suppose.

K

·
0 Posts
Sorry mate. Its just some annoying idiot was irritating me not so long ago at a party going on about how his car was tuned up to over 200 lbft of torque. He got very upset with me when I told him that a bloke on a bicycle can produce around 150 lbft of torque which, by his logic, made his car barely faster than a bicycle...

Just please, when you talk about torque ( :) ) don't just say the RX-8 has low-torque. Instead say it has not much low down torque (or not much torque at low rpm) as that makes a lot more sense to smart R-ses like me! :D

The twinny engine doesn't have much low-down torque and you can certainly feel on the road where it hits that upward gradient on the graph at 3000 rpm. Its definitely one you have to rev!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts