Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Okay, so there's a sticky thread on the 2.4 consumption issue, but do we have any experts out there who can explain why some of us get 25mpg and some get 35mpg and better?????
Reasons I've read include low tyre pressures, dp, egr, driving style, engine not run in yet, etc etc...
surely if we had a poll and recorded our averages, that may help to understand where the real average we should expect is???

In my brera I dont complain about doing 25 around town. :cry: If I totally boot it everywhere it may drop to 24, or if I drive like my grandma I may get 25.5...that tells me to drive it like an alfa should be driven!!!:cheese:
But...on the motortway, cruise set at at 80, 30mpg if I'm lucky...that sounds rubbish to me and nothing like some geniuses get on here...OK I've talked myself to booking it in to get checked out :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Round trip 140 miles to Liverpool airport and back on the A55 from Caernarfon in my 2.4 got 38. Didn't go below 80 the whole way apart from roundabouts and enjoying a rapid exit on each one. I'm no expert but guess that there is something seriously not right with your motor. No help I know, sorry.

·
Registered
275 Posts
. I'm no expert but guess that there is something seriously not right with your motor. No help I know, sorry.
+1 :thumbs: I would really struggle to get into the 20's, I've done the EVO triangle and North Scotland run this year, both involved giving her a sound thrashing and still returned mid 30's. I potter to work each day which is a 14 mile round trip and achieve 38+ and can stretch that into the 40's if I do a motorway run. Have you checked the actual consumption brim to brim?

D

·
0 Posts
i get 25-27 in town, hardly any difference when driven hard, 33-37 on a run, i did manage 40 once at a steady motorway speed but that does'nt happen often, dont think they're meant to be driven sedately!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
average m.p.g is 25 on ours too, its in for a remapping on sat so hopefully get a bit more m.p.g

·
Registered
275 Posts
I recently got a personal best out of mine, 40.3mpg on a trip to the Trafford Centre!!
Personal best 51.3 over 362 miles:wow:, went on to average 46 for the whole tankfull before I filled up for the Scotland run. I achieved this by driving veeeeeeery carfully, boring as ell but it proved the point.:thumbs:

·
Registered
251 Posts
39.8 mpg over 4200 miles. By calculation (brim to brim) not trip meter...

The above figure is probably down to almost no urban running and very little traffic. And no I don't drive like Grandma! p:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
XM3Doug and Natwest...I am seriously jealous of you guys...Going on a trip to Wales tomorrow..scenic route to the south and back at the weekend and should cover about 1000 miles all in. Will inflate my tyres to the higher speed value, buy some "posh" fuel, and see what it does brim to brim. If I dont get at least mid 30's there's gotta be something wrong with it.:(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got an app on the iPhone which provides accurate calculated figures. Weekend driving is short trips, 10 or 15 miles of mostly A roads. During the week I have to drive to the flat in Kent, which is about 150 miles. All week it's just 2 miles to the station and back and then 150 miles back home on a Friday.

Both long trips are at just below 80 mph and on cruise control.

Never had a regen issue, never experienced 'limp' mode and currently get 36.57 mpg average with 37.93 mpg on the last fill.

·
Registered
275 Posts
XM3Doug and Natwest...I am seriously jealous of you guys...Going on a trip to Wales tomorrow..scenic route to the south and back at the weekend and should cover about 1000 miles all in. Will inflate my tyres to the higher speed value, buy some "posh" fuel, and see what it does brim to brim. If I dont get at least mid 30's there's gotta be something wrong with it.:(
Good luck Mark! I did the tyres thing it does help, but I think the best advice if you want a boring challenge is:-
1. Think ahead as far as you can and take your foot off the gas as early as you can, if you have to brake you are carrying too much speed or not thinking far enough ahead.
2. Turn the computer on to instantanious and play with your right foot to get the best results, I set the average as well and try to keep "instant" above "average".
3. Keep the revs as low as possible.
4. Use downhill sections to build speed where you can.
5. I find I get better results with cruise off, plus it helps with the boredom;)

If you can cope with all this you will hopefully see some real improvement in your mph figures. Afterwards the good thing is knowing you never need to do it again as you have proved your point and can now get back to driving it as it should be driven:D

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I average 35 MPG from mine with mixed driving. When I had a stuck EGR valve this dropped to below 30, but it was pretty obvious summat was wrong as there was abolutely no power until I hit 2000 RPM. I think your Bella has got some issues mark :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts