Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is the courtesy cars you get. Dropped off my gorgeous (slightly creaky) Giulietta this morning for a couple of days of tlc and was given a Citroen DS4 in return. Relatively nice to look at, don't get me wrong, but absolutely god-awful to sit in and drive! The travel on the gear lever makes it feel like you're driving a bus. And whereas the G feels almost like an extension of you, this definitely feels like you're sat (uncomfortably) in a machine (am I making sense?!).

Looking forward to giving it back tomorrow, even if the creaks remain in the Giulietta!

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Is That Autoworld Chesterfield? I was there for a test drive on Friday. Thought the G was great but unless they can do better on discount for a cash sale I will not be doing dusiness with them. All they would offer was to provide mettallic paint for free on the full list price. Reason given was AR do not allow them sufficient margin to do more. If so how come the internet sites promise to link to dealers giving significant discounts?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I test-drove a DS4 before choosing the Giulietta , I totally agree, the ride is shocking, the whole car seems very contrived as well, way too overstyled.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I had the DS4 on my list for a replacement for the Xsara VTS but could not understand the concept of "high stance coupe" surely this is a contradiction in terms

·
Registered
517 Posts
Is That Autoworld Chesterfield? I was there for a test drive on Friday. Thought the G was great but unless they can do better on discount for a cash sale I will not be doing dusiness with them. All they would offer was to provide mettallic paint for free on the full list price. Reason given was AR do not allow them sufficient margin to do more. If so how come the internet sites promise to link to dealers giving significant discounts?
Tony
The reason Internet sites are cheaper is because you don't qualify for the retail offers i.e. free servicing & 0% finance. You have to pay full amount on collection.

I was in the same position as you are, I went to 6 dealers and finally got - what I think - a good deal with the retail offers.

There was a compromise on deposit terms but I got fairly close to the Internet price and benefitted from the servicing & finance over 3 years.

The offer was good enough to tempt me to buy from the dealer and forgo the internet option.

Keep searching and you will be rewarded.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Tony
The reason Internet sites are cheaper is because you don't qualify for the retail offers i.e. free servicing & 0% finance. You have to pay full amount on collection.

I was in the same position as you are, I went to 6 dealers and finally got - what I think - a good deal with the retail offers.

There was a compromise on deposit terms but I got fairly close to the Internet price and benefitted from the servicing & finance over 3 years.

The offer was good enough to tempt me to buy from the dealer and forgo the internet option.

Keep searching and you will be rewarded.
I will keep searching. I am in the lucky position of not needing the finance deals. And I am not sure of the value of 3 years or 30,000 miles free servicing. The service interval is 2 years or 20k miles so the offer actually provides for one service as far as I can see.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I will keep searching. I am in the lucky position of not needing the finance deals. And I am not sure of the value of 3 years or 30,000 miles free servicing. The service interval is 2 years or 20k miles so the offer actually provides for one service as far as I can see.
Your dead right but the final deal I got made sense not to pay upfront.

Some dealers wouldn't budge at all & some were open to persuasion.

I found that if you put a reasonable justification forward for your offer some softened their stance and accepted a sale as a sale rather than hold out for a normal profit that I wasn't prepared to pay.

As long as you are prepared to take the Internet option - & can fund it - you may be smiling with your saving.

·
Registered
34,432 Posts
At least the DS4 is kind of in the same class as the Giulietta.I have had the loan of Skoda Fabias and Mitos ,one of which had really bad fumes inside .I got a Skoda Octavia once which made me worried at the lights in case it was mistaken for a cab.And I waited at least two weeks for a loan car to be available each time from the Surrey dealer where I bought my Giulietta.Still , it makes you appreciate your own car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
DS4 does look like a clanger. Wife has got a DS3 though and that is a fab little car. Only shame is she got the eco version, which has little or no *poke*. Reluctantly would recommend over a MITO though...

·
Registered
337 Posts
DS4 does look like a clanger. Wife has got a DS3 though and that is a fab little car. Only shame is she got the eco version, which has little or no *poke*. Reluctantly would recommend over a MITO though...
My mam has a ds3 sport 1.6T, very very good car, they seem to have dropped the ball when developing the DS4 though.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Would agree about the DS4. I don't 'get' the concept of a high-riding coupe. The other curious thing is it would appear (because of the stark differences reported) that they've made the C4 handle really poorly in order to make the DS4 feel better. I personally don't mind the look of the C4, ok it's no Alfa but it looks more interesting than a Golf, Focus etc. However it's meant to drive terribly so i doubt i'd want one, and because i hated being in a DS4 (it felt very claustrophobic) & it's way too expensive, i wouldn't buy one even though it handles well. Im sure i'm not the only person who thinks this so i'd bet (judging by how few are on the roads) Citroen have lost tonnes of sales because neither car have the full package (styling, handling, price). Peugeot-Citroen's gearboxes are also notoriously limp. We've had a Peugeot 306, 206 & 207 plus a Citroen C2 in the family and they've all been like stirring treacle with a straw. That alone would stop me buying one, though i *think* the 6 speeds are better - not tried one yet though.

To the OP - why not take advantage of the 0% finance even though you don't need it, and shove some of the money you would use to buy the Alfa into a fixed savings account for a set term & take advantage of abit of interest? That is almost like a discount on the Alfa then. You're probably abit more likely to get abit of 'deal' taking finance than paying cash too - dealers don't care about cash anymore as they get commision on finance.

I wouldn't use AutoWorld though - hear too many interesting things about them on the Fiat side of things. Try the Alfa dealers in Leicester, Nottingham and possibly Yorkshire instead.

Liam

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I had the DS4 on my list for a replacement for the Xsara VTS but could not understand the concept of "high stance coupe" surely this is a contradiction in terms
I loved my vts, I had a posiden blue phase 1, absolutely loved it. I only sold it because of the GTA, and sometimes wish I had kept it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
To the OP - why not take advantage of the 0% finance even though you don't need it, and shove some of the money you would use to buy the Alfa into a fixed savings account for a set term & take advantage of abit of interest? That is almost like a discount on the Alfa then. You're probably abit more likely to get abit of 'deal' taking finance than paying cash too - dealers don't care about cash anymore as they get commision on finance.

I wouldn't use AutoWorld though - hear too many interesting things about them on the Fiat side of things. Try the Alfa dealers in Leicester, Nottingham and possibly Yorkshire instead.

Liam
I agree entirely with Liam's view of financing a car - dealers get nothing from dealing in cash and would much prefer a finance deal. And most financial advisors view the purchase of a high value capital item in cash as a poor use of your money. If you can get a 0% deal that is probably the best way to go.

Re. Autoworld - over the years both myself and friends have purchased around 14 cars from them, including 7 Fiats, Suzukis, Seats, and 2 Alfa Romeos - and nobody has had a single problem with the deals or service from them. If it bothers you though, Lookers in Sheffield is newly established and only about 10 miles up the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts