Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read two road test reports on the Tonale. Neither is exactly glowing.

Tim Pitt's report in Auto Italia is probably best summed up as damning with faint praise. Criticisms include understeer & hard ride. He says that in D mode with the dampers on their soft setting "driven at eight-tenths, the Tonale is an enjoyable machine. But a true driver's car it is not."

He goes on to say "Does that matter? Not especially. Dynamic prowess is low on the priority list for most buyers of C-segment SUVs."

However, it's not all bad - he says the Tonale is "up there with the class best in this regard. It also looks smart, feels premium. . ."

Nick Rufford in the Sunday Times, while generally enthusiastic, again criticises the hard ride & asks "will anyone rush to buy a competent SUV in an already crowded market. . ."

So, looks like a good car but not a great one. Maybe Alfa can market it effectively in the UK!

Just for good measure, on Auto Italia's front cover there's a picture of a Tonale with the caption "Tonale Test. Good enough to save Alfa?" Here we go again!

Reactions: ScanianMan

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I am interested in the plug in Tonale. 35 miles on electric will suit my needs 90% of the time.

I will be paying no attention to media and press reports as they seem to have been driving and testing different cars to me on my last two purchases - 159SW and a Stelvio Veloce.

They have also raved about German cars that left me cold when I drove them :)

I will of course read them all though.

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
10,396 Posts
I'd forgotten all about the Tonale. Is it still not available in the UK?

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd forgotten all about the Tonale. Is it still not available in the UK?
UK orders will open in July, with the first deliveries expected in September, according to Auto Italia.

Reactions: lussoman

·
Registered
39,634 Posts
PHEV version is not open for orders until after the summer here.

@Muz Just go take the Compass PHEV out for a spin if you want to get an idea of it. The big thing to note: petrol tank is (probably) only 36½ litres.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
PHEV version is not open for orders until after the summer here.

@Muz Just go take the Compass PHEV out for a spin if you want to get an idea of it. The big thing to note: petrol tank is (probably) only 36½ litres.
I am in no rush to bin the Stelvio but my wife struggles to get into it with a bad hip and back. Those sports seats I love are a problem for her. I am hoping that the Tonale is easier to get in and out of. I want the sporty plug in ideally and that is not released in the UK until December I believe. I am in France at the moment so may well swing past the Alfa/Jeep dealer, whether they’ll give me a test drive, arriving in a British car, is debatable though.

I am a bit stuck in my ways though so I don’t see me buying a Jeep :)

Reactions: TheGrimJeeper

·
Registered
39,634 Posts
To blag it, ask them about the Malus Eco (It's next to nothing) and whether you can still get the free €1000 rebate from the government. (It ends this month I think.) That should be enough for them to think you live locally.

If you can hoodwink them, don't use Sport mode. It's brutal and virtually unusable.

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
10,396 Posts
Luxury??

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
10,396 Posts
Most of them will be over £40,000 and attract Luxury car tax.
Over £40k for THAT! Jeez, the world's gone mad. Or at least Alfa have...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I thought this was supposed to sit below the Giulia and Stelvio? Sounds like there’s a bit of an overlap in pricing…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39,634 Posts
It's the PHEV version that will push it up the pricelist.

There is no PHEV Stevio. (The new Grand Cherokee is it's nearest PHEV cousin. And that starts at €81500 here.)

·
Registered
41,598 Posts
The Stelvio is no longer produced in cheaper versions like the base and Super. These are replaced by the Tonale in terms of price. Stellantis are maximising revenue with emphasis on the Extrema etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts