Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday July 21st, at 8PM, Channel Four is showing "The Plane That Saved Britain".

So what is the plane that saved Britain? According to the makers of this programme it's the Mosquito. A contentious claim, maybe, but should be well worth watching.

Useless Mosquito fact: when I was very little I had a toy steamroller made from very high grade plywood . . . my uncle Bill was in the RAF . . . :cool:

Premium Member
Saw that advertised. A bit of a wild claim but it was without doubt an amazing aircraft and many of the great air raids of the war would not have been possible otherwise. Set to record it as it clashes with Top Gear.

R

It's tail was made of canvas, unlike the spitfire, so the bullets mostly went through it, making it much harder to shoot down. I like to think of the Spitfire and Hurricane as equals in the battle of Britain.

Registered
:cool: Should be worth watching hopefully

One of my teachers at primary school was a DFC holder amongst other medals, gained while flying as a navigator in mosquitos with one of the pathfinder squadrons.

Registered
Thanks for the heads up, I'd otherwise have missed it. I always liked them but didn't know about at least two big areas in that programme. :)

I'll 4OD it as missed the 1st 1/4 and bits of the rest around the adverts as channle hopped to Top Gear.

Registered
Fantastic aircraft, could take the same bomb load to Berlin as the Boeing B-17 (4engines and 10 Crew). Could also, on occasion, do it twice in one night.
As for 'saving Britain' a bit of a claim!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

C

Dear Santa, I've been a good boy all year so can you please send me a Mosquito?

Premium Member
Dear Santa, I've been a good boy all year so can you please send me a Mosquito?

I don't think that will happen this Christmas but

The plane that was shown flying in the US might be up for sale. If so hopefully somebody here will buy it

or

There is another replica under construction in Australia which a group here is talking about buying for I believe $5m

or

There is another group talking about building one using pieces of a crashed one thus making it "genuine".

So keep your fingers crossed & maybe one day your wish will come true. :thumbs:

Registered
I got in front of the TV for the 2nd part after the first commercial break. I thought when he mentioned Lasham and had the plane taking off it was formulaic like the celebs meet their F1 heroes at Xmas of the TV Chef doing the Mille Miglia, but managed to let go of that thought until the closing bit at the end and then I thought formulaic.

On the Pistonheads front page they've a feature on the Calibra and a YouTube clip to Chris Goffey reviewing it, and it starts off at an Airfield with a British fighter jet.....and then it features a Calibra going around the track with a FL Mk1 Capri and Manta. They've been doing TV by production line storyboards for decades it seems.

There was some really good stuff in there, but the tang of storyboarded formula undermined the content and the emotion of that chap and the music. I'd rather had the meat without the formulaic glue and the need to seem to make it accessible for the whole family almost.

I get quite upset at basic errors in magazines as that's where I soaked up most of my car trivia from and if you're teenager and don't know any better you wolf it down whole. I'm just imagining some middle aged parent in 20-30 years saying 'Yes, the Eurofighter was all down to the de Haviland Mosquito you know....

I don't know, I think it's a deep enough and broad enough and worthy enough subject to be able to do it without seemingly dumbing it down. I'd rather it was a 50 or 45 minute programme if that's what it meant to ditch the filler.

The Clarkson one hour programme on the St Nazaire HMS Campeltown raid was more acceptable to me, more the right tone. I'm wondering if the way the programme was put together was almost disrespectful to the subject matter and the veterans featured. Trotman and Bud Badley seemed splendid.

That duck egg blue or grey of that newly made one had me thinking Chrono Grey Fiat Coupe.

Different plane, but the music also made me think of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4Md_aXVJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvkK-8LBjLk

:( I could have been a prannet for not wedding a girl from Thanet.

Registered
I didn't know about the carrier landings or that anti-submarine gun.

Why were they using mm for shells in WW2? Munitions makers made them in metric and we had to switch or the weapons were made in metric sizes? We won the war using munitions in Johnny Foreigner dimensions?

303 isn't metric? The same aircraft mixed guns in imperial and metric calibres?

Registered
I didn't know about the carrier landings or that anti-submarine gun.

Why were they using mm for shells in WW2? Munitions makers made them in metric and we had to switch or the weapons were made in metric sizes? We won the war using munitions in Johnny Foreigner dimensions?

303 isn't metric? The same aircraft mixed guns in imperial and metric calibres?
The Molins gun so fitted was usually referred to as a plain old "Six Pounder"

Here we go: Untitled Document

Registered
Caught the second half and enjoyed it......may try to catch the whole programme again.

C

The mk XVIII (with the 6 pounder) was known as the Tsetse. The 'normal' cannons on the NF and FB versions were 20mm, provided by Hispano-Suiza iirc whereas the machine guns were 0.303", provided by Browning. It's the same story with the Spitfire Vb onwards and the Beaufighter too (which was the most heavily armed RAF fighter of WW2) - cannons were metric, machine guns imperial.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
An interesting programme, but I felt that there was a big hole in the middle. The PR & night fighter versions - the latter one of the more important roles the Mosquito played, I think - were only mentioned in passing by "Winkle" Brown* & there was no mention at all of the EnZedders who made the rebuild of Gerry Yagen's plane possible - Glyn Powell who has made a set of fuselage moulds & wing jigs & AvSpecs who actually built it.

Those criticisms aside, a good programme - documentaries made by enthusiasts are always enjoyable.

*If you're interested in aircraft, read Winkle Brown's books. He's flown more types (487) than any other pilot & holds the world record for the number of carrier landings (2407) & writes in a very informative, readable style.

Registered
Just watched it on 4OD. Loved it. As usual when WWII veterans are interview, I got emotional:eek:

Registered
I've just watched it on 4OD, so caught the 1st quarter I missed lastnight. I was wondering if it covered the Oslo raid as it wasn't mentioned in the 3/4s I saw lastnight.

It was good to catch the beginning where they disobeyed instructions to build that prototype. Authority and I don't always get along well, so examples like that give me some store that you've got to do the right thing and sometimes that means going against the grain or biding your time.

:eek: I've driven a few times from Basingstoke to Alton to visit a restaurant. I thought the airfield on the left by the water works pumping station was Odiham. Looking at the map it may well have been Lasham. I didn't know where Lasham was and just looked it up.

Regarding the veterans, I met a young lad on a training course last year and Trotman's smile reminded me of his.

Registered
One of my most horrific memories was 1996 watching a Mosquito perform at the Barton Air Show, the noise and pure grace was fantastic, he went high just by my mums house and then dived, i thought he was never going to pull out, he didn't, went into a copse a few hundred yards away.....i remember feeling utterly numb, there was just a loud thud and a cloud of dust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts