Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly will happen to the 11 Million diesel car owners in the U.K.?
More importantly what will happen to all the beautiful Alfa JTDMs.
Personally, I feel betrayed after being convinced around 2006 to ditch my uneconomical petrol Honda Civic for a cleaner, greener diesel, these 'do gooders' in politics now want us to stump up in potential additional taxes or charges or ditch the diesel and move back to petrol or........hybrid....Grrrrr.
Why can't someone in these brain storming departments or the car manufacturers come up with modifications for diesel cars that will not affect its performance, clog up its intakes or exhaust systems - Oh! I forgot they tried this with EGR's, DPF's and swirl valves!!:censored:
As long as someone (possibly my over paid local MP) will stump the cash to allow me to change my car to something a little more greener like a nice thirsty 3.5l petrol Jag or Merc, a school run SUV (weren't these public enemy No1 only recently?)
Better still a Tesla, Porsche 918 or McLaren P1 PLEASE!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The strangest thing is ,according to a lot of posts i've read when the diesels are mapped properly and have the deletes done they seem to run as clean and have better mpg ????

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The other part to the problem is the whole country runs on diesel. Trains, lorries, vans and so on. not to mention all the farming equipment and constuction industry diggers dumpers and cranes and so forth.
Why is the motorist being singled out?
Oh yeah nearly forgot the shipping industry.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other part to the problem is the whole country runs on diesel. Trains, lorries, vans and so on. not to mention all the farming equipment and constuction industry diggers dumpers and cranes and so forth.
Why is the motorist being singled out?
Oh yeah nearly forgot the shipping industry.
Exactly!
Sadiq Khan needs to think about his actions - Why are black cabs exempt by the way, they run like smoking billies!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The strangest thing is ,according to a lot of posts i've read when the diesels are mapped properly and have the deletes done they seem to run as clean and have better mpg ????
At the price having half the forum mad at me, that is a myth. A diesel without an EGR will create more nitrogen oxides, the better fuel economy from a remap is also BS (unless the remap takes power away from the engine, but you won't see those very often), it will show a better fuel economy in the body computer because the ECU just thinks it's throwing less fuel in the engine because the mpg calculation is based on the stock fuel rail pressures and injection times. That fuel economy will be further degraded by regenerating the DPF more often (richer mix == more soot).

EDIT: I'm not judging, a good remap will make the car feel much better and if you take the EGR out of the picture you will certainly have less intake problems in the future, just don't claim you are doing it to be "green" :D...

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Anyone that purchased a Diesel car thinking it was the clean green option needs to take a good look at themselves.
Diesels are nasty dirty smelly things and removing the filters etc that were bolted on to make them close to acceptable doesn't help!

FYI, the extra charge that will soon be applied in the congestion charge zone isn't just on Diesels. It's on anything pre Euro4.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Do you think its worth P/X a Diesel 1.9 159 for a petrol Brera 2.2 JTS?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Any cheap Spiders knocking about, can't find any for less than £5,000?

·
Registered
326 Posts
At the price having half the forum mad at me, that is a myth. A diesel without an EGR will create more nitrogen oxides, the better fuel economy from a remap is also BS (unless the remap takes power away from the engine, but you won't see those very often), it will show a better fuel economy in the body computer because the ECU just thinks it's throwing less fuel in the engine because the mpg calculation is based on the stock fuel rail pressures and injection times. That fuel economy will be further degraded by regenerating the DPF more often (richer mix == more soot).

EDIT: I'm not judging, a good remap will make the car feel much better and if you take the EGR out of the picture you will certainly have less intake problems in the future, just don't claim you are doing it to be "green" :D...
Better mpg with a remap isn't bs.
Not with my my remapped 2.4jtdm 2010 Sportwagon Ti anyway.
With massive 400lbs ft from 1500rpm you don't even need to floor it to be in the meat of the torque because you literally adjust your driving style after a while because you realise that just 10÷ throttle is all you need to stay with the traffic.
Even if I wear my leather boots I find it difficult to modulate the throttle and get worst mpg. So I try the same trick in a pair of light trainers and get better mpg by 3-5mpg......the point I am making is with a remap the throttle response is crazy sensitive (deliberately added in the remap) in an an extra 105lbs of torque and you have to modular your driving style according and then viola, it's a win win!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
you literally adjust your driving style after a while
That's it, mate, you improved your mpg by adjusting your driving style, the remap was just a trigger, if you did it without the remap you would have even better mpg (at the cost of slower acceleration times). I'm sure the car is better to drive, but it was not the remap that improved the mpg, it was you :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Remaps often do increase mpg actually.
1 - they often raise the boost level. This brings more fresh air into the cylinders at most of the Rev range giving a cleaner burn.

2 - advancing the injection time means a more complete burn of the same fuel. More power from the same quantity.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Anyone that purchased a Diesel car thinking it was the clean green option needs to take a good look at themselves.
Diesels are nasty dirty smelly things and removing the filters etc that were bolted on to make them close to acceptable doesn't help!

FYI, the extra charge that will soon be applied in the congestion charge zone isn't just on Diesels. It's on anything pre Euro4.
I read it was Euro 4 for diesels and Euro 6 for petrol cars. I don't actually know what either of those euro things mean though. Also, this is supposed to come into effect in April 2019, isn't that exactly when we are supposed to come out of Euro... anything?

That aside, my Dad was a London cabbie, so I understandably hate diesels. I just couldn't understand how something that covers the back of your car in soot could possibly be better for the environment. I was almost convinced by the new wave of "clean" diesels and bought a Mondeo TDCI, it was noisy rattly smelly and a total bore to drive. To cap that all off it was all of 5 maybe 10 mpg better than the 2.6 petrol Audi I had just before it.
Then VW got sussed fudging the figures, come on lets be honest, they were all doing it, VW just got unlucky.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
I read it was Euro 4 for diesels and Euro 6 for petrol cars. I don't actually know what either of those euro things mean though.
I thought it was coming into effect for the London CC zone this autumn.
All the talk is about an extra charge for the more polluting Diesels, avoiding mentioning that it applies to Petrol too.
When I checked the official website, I thought it was Euro4, 2006 keeps getting mentioned, but that was when Euro4 kicked in. But I will check again and it may have changed since I last looked anyway!!

I've avoided reading anything unofficial about it as it is usually inaccurate garbage... (which may turn out to apply to things I've typed too...!!!!)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have just had to fill in a form so that I can use my car in some French cities. You are given a badge of shame that denotes the Euro number of your vehicle. Failure to have one of these badges can result on a fine of £117.00(or there abouts). Point is that the writing is on the wall, the politicians seem to be able to chop and change the official stance with impunity.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
The French badge is ~4 Euros for a Euro5 car. Stupid not to get one at that price.
Although currently they only give you the ability to drive during pollution alerts.

About time governments woke up to the problem of real pollution, not just this
CO₂ fixation they've had for the last 20 years.

DERV has always been filthy dirty. As David C said, anyone who didn't realise
this was kidding themselves.

Finally private DERVs will be consigned to hell. Where they belong. :evil:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The French badge is ~4 Euros for a Euro5 car. Stupid not to get one at that price.
Although currently they only give you the ability to drive during pollution alerts.

About time governments woke up to the problem of real pollution, not just this
CO₂ fixation they've had for the last 20 years.

DERV has always been filthy dirty. As David C said, anyone who didn't realise
this was kidding themselves.

Finally private DERVs will be consigned to hell. Where they belong. :evil:
If I end up loosing loads of money I'll be forced into buying an old cheap crappy petrol that spews out tonnes of carbon monoxide, co2, NOX and all the other lovely poisonous things that old worn out petrols emit.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts