Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My 1999 156 has what seems to be a common problem. Failed clear coat.

VERY bad on the roof, mostly down the middle on the bonnet.

I love driving this car, but it's the first thing I see when I walk out to it in the morning and it does get me down!

Most paint shops I've been to (that are worth talking to) have quoted me almost the price of the car to match the factory blu cosmo (or cosmo blu/blue?)! I was thinking, at least in the short to mid term, of just putting regular gloss BLACK vinyl on the bonnet, roof and maybe boot as it's a little scratched up (one of the previous owners seemed rest stuff on it while fumbling for keys or something)

As the other panels are the result of 15 years of supermarkets, roadworks and general wear and tear I was thinking I might as well just go whole hog and do the whole thing. I'm leaning towards a good dark gloss black or a plain matte white (I have the black leather interior which I think is sport pack 3?)

Colours choices aside - what are other peoples experiences with vinyl? I'm not worry about it ripping the roof/bonnet paint off on removal as it would be recovered or repainted at that time. Just wondering if anyone has run wrapped cars as daily drivers, how it's held up and how good you can make it look?

I've got a contact working on some proper 3M black stuff. Definitely wanting to spend money and get proper vinyl to do the job.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Here is a thread I've done 2 years ago where I wrap the whole car in Gloss White.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/339857-147-styling-build-thread.html or a video from youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv5DCUa6pD4

If you go white I would suggest that you go for gloss white instead of matte white as matte will be a nightmare to keep it cleaned.
I used my previous 147 as a daily runner for 15k miles before selling it off as I needed a diesel. The viynl was stuck and did not peel off but there was sign of a few stone chip damage but luckily it damage the viynl instead of the paint. Here is a thread with me removing the vinyl http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/444321-unwrapping-my-147-back-to-stock-colour.html

As long as it is sealed properly along the edge of the vinyl then there should be no lifting. The only thing I would suggest that if you see any clear coat that has lifted from the body and you are not bothered about damaging the paintwork then I would sand down the damage clear coat with a wet and dry.If you don't then the vinyl will stick to the damage clear coat which will lift up and then it will look like there is trap bubble under the viynl in which case is not.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I have vinyl'ed my race car roof and boot myself (non-professional) and it is holding up nicely :thumbs:

A friend wrapped his entire car in matt white, but was not all to happy with the look (rather than longevity) - he took it off and had the car resprayed as he prefer the painted look-and-feel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good thoughts on the clear coat lifting there. Also had a look at a local (good) paint shop who do plasti dip for a short term maybe?

Gertie, how long has yours been on and do you notice any decline in the finish?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
plastidip will probably lift the clearcoat too.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south-africa/349258-modern-trofeo-phakisa-as-a-newbie-2.html#post5422874
I've added the wing, painted with plastidip 1 year ago - I've had to do some touch-ups this year - I am not sure I am a fan :confused: I used the spray cans, probably proper application with spray gun will work better...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plasti-dip is definitely cheaper, professionally applied. I have a couple of friends who are constantly reapplying vinyl to panels of their rally car that can help with that side though.

dtone - I think your white 147 might have just made up my mind. Can you wax it/treat it to get it to look even better?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Well with the wax I guess it will protect the gloss of the vinyl but it wont make it better. The white gloss is a good finish. The best thing is see if you can get some vinyl supplier to send you samples of then you can see if you like the vinyl and you can do a test to see if the wax improves the look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts