Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Took the picture in Rome last June. This used to be a basilica, founded by Julius Caesar in honour of Pope Julius II, for victory over Jerusalem.

I know it has nothing to do with the name Giulia, anybody of you Alfa-heads out there know where the name Giulia came from??

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
i have the info in a book but don't have time to find it tonight :( cool pic though :cool:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whenever you have a shot at visiting Rome, go! You will never ever experience a city more vibrating with ancient history, combined with all the luxury BS we are used to, than Rome.

I could place a huge pictorial (or just the links to the pictures). Let me know!

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
It is rather funnuy that Julius was this mans Clan name, his real name was Gaius as in Gaius Julius Caesar. He was a member of the Julia Clan.

I believe Guilia and Julia are the same name ie Julia -from latin and Guilia from Italian as both can mean youthfull.

If I remember correctly Latin did not have a J so presumably Julius was actually Gulius and Julia is Guilia ;) (added so reason for edit)

·
Registered
787 Posts
i think this is exaustive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gens_Julia

it's very funny that on an ancient monument the sign is writtern in a modern italian and not in ancient latin :mad:

is clear that for Alfa Romeo the name Giulia comes from "Romeo (Alfa) and Juliet (Giulietta in italian)"

So in italian the name "Giulietta" is like the "little Giulia" and usually the proper name is "Giulia".

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And the winner is, Anfortas, the right solution. Thought is was just a cool pic.

And for the non-latin-readers amongst the tourists in Rome, this is the way to avoid them calling the Amphitheatrum Flavium 'that big, tall round thing'.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Joost said:
And the winner is, Anfortas, the right solution. Thought is was just a cool pic.

And for the non-latin-readers amongst the tourists in Rome, this is the way to avoid them calling the Amphitheatrum Flavium 'that big, tall round thing'.
As in it should be Julia ?
Roman Alhaphabet
A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T V X Y Z

There were no lower case letters, and K, Y and Z used only for writing words of Greek origin. The letters J, U and W were added to the alphabet at a later stage to write languages other than Latin. J is a variant of I, U is a variant of V, and W was introduced as a 'double-v' to make a distinction between the sounds we know as 'v' and 'w' which was unnecessary in Latin.

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
I think everybody's missed the real origin of 'Giulia' in the Alfa context!

Ever heard of 'Romeo & Juliet'? That's 'Romeo & Giulietta' in Italian, so the Giulietta's name has Shakespearian origins. As the '-etta' ending is a diminutive in Italian, 'Giulia' was a logical name for a car derived from, but bigger than, the Giulietta.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stori said:
As in it should be Julia ?
Roman Alhaphabet
A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T V X Y Z

There were no lower case letters, and K, Y and Z used only for writing words of Greek origin. The letters J, U and W were added to the alphabet at a later stage to write languages other than Latin. J is a variant of I, U is a variant of V, and W was introduced as a 'double-v' to make a distinction between the sounds we know as 'v' and 'w' which was unnecessary in Latin.
I wasn't making pointers towards how to write it or whether it could be written in Latin. I was just asking us Alfaheads if anyone knew how the Giulia got her name and Anfortas was right. It derives from Giulietta (meaning little Juliet and referring to Shakespeare). Therefore the next Giulietta, being bigger, got named Giulia (apperentely a normal sized Juliet ;) ).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave Brand said:
I think everybody's missed the real origin of 'Giulia' in the Alfa context!

Ever heard of 'Romeo & Juliet'? That's 'Romeo & Giulietta' in Italian, so the Giulietta's name has Shakespearian origins. As the '-etta' ending is a diminutive in Italian, 'Giulia' was a logical name for a car derived from, but bigger than, the Giulietta.
Ehhhmm, Isn't that what Anfortas wrote???

Anyway the right awnser has been posted here three times. Think it's just about evident now.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
three of my past girlfriends were called julia, julia, and julie respectively, all blonde, very attractive, highly strung and lots of heartache and trouble, i guess they were named after the car!... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Joost said:
I wasn't making pointers towards how to write it or whether it could be written in Latin. I was just asking us Alfaheads if anyone knew how the Giulia got her name and Anfortas was right. It derives from Giulietta (meaning little Juliet and referring to Shakespeare). Therefore the next Giulietta, being bigger, got named Giulia (apperentely a normal sized Juliet ;) ).
Now Alfa may have got the name from Romeo and Juliet but where did Juliet and Julia get their name ;) :D :cheese:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gtachris said:
three of my past girlfriends were called julia, julia, and julie respectively, all blonde, very attractive, highly strung and lots of heartache and trouble, i guess they were named after the car!... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think, since Giulia is problem free, you should check your dating skills :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stori said:
Now Alfa may have got the name from Romeo and Juliet but where did Juliet and Julia get their name ;) :D :cheese:
Juliet (Julia or Giulia is a translation) was spanwed from the mind of His Royal Authorness, Shakespeare. Nothing fancy about that. Just as you would wanna write a story about some lowlife named Jim.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Joost said:
Juliet (Julia or Giulia is a translation) was spanwed from the mind of His Royal Authorness, Shakespeare. Nothing fancy about that. Just as you would wanna write a story about some lowlife named Jim.
I do believe that Latin was around a little while before Mr Shakespeare !!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So what's your point besides being right??? I don't get it, what is so difficult about this topic? Shakespeare created Romeo & Juliet (which has nothing to do with writing it in Latin). Alfa named the Giulietta after Juliet (Alfa (Romeo & Little Juliet)). The model after the Giulietta was bigger, hence called Giulia. Giulia is Italian, so what's the deal with Latin??

What does the Latin alphabet has got to do with any of this???? Shakespeare thought it up way beyond the common use of Latin, so what's the point besides exposing your knowlidge of history?

Or are you just janking my chain....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What am I, your girlfriend :D ? If it means that much to you: "YOU ARE RIGHT". Latin pre-dates Shakespeare...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts