Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Do you mean offence or offense? :confused: :)p)

The only offence is offence itself?

That would make Sepp Blatter right,
so it can't be.

;)

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
That's an interesting view, Gibbo, and certainly one I would support in my more mature moments. One thing I have become acutely aware of over the last few years is that a difference in beliefs and values should be a point for discussion and strengthening understanding rather than a reason for "falling out".

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Ah, do you mean my post in the other thread? I didn't mean it like that, if that is how it sounds.

I was (for once) actually trying to show some sensitivity!

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Are there umtrolls under the umbridge?

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, do you mean my post in the other thread? I didn't mean it like that, if that is how it sounds.

I was (for once) actually trying to show some sensitivity!
No, you see it isn't all about you :rolleyes:

:lol:

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
No, you see it isn't all about you :rolleyes:

:lol:
Good :) I wasn't sure. I do seem to upset people by accident.

The chap in the bank for example. All I did was explain to him how to do his job properly and he took offence.

Anyway, back on topic, I think your point is a very good one. Instead of taking offence, try and learn about the other person's point of view. It'll make you a better person.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Taking offence,
is often the first stage
of building a fence,
blocking each others many views.
leading to faux outrage.

John t L.
:thumbs:

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Maaaaahn not knoooooow stuuuuuupid.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I blame the Jeremys.
Mainly Kyle & Vine, but also Clarkson.

Messers Kyle & Vine present shows where everything - absolutely everything - has to be black or white. You can't have anything else. You either agree or disagree. No point in trying to meet in the middle. (in fact the intelligent ones who try to find common ground are quickly taken off the air and thanked for their points so the more extreme viewpoints can get back to shouting at each other.)

The sooner the media moves away from "what do you think?" or "here's what you should think", then the sooner we can get out of this mess. Give me facts/education or give me comedy. Don't give me "real life" documentaries that are carefully edited for TV.
Then we come to the news... Don't tell me what someone is going to say tomorrow. Tell me what they said after they said it, and how their intellectual peers reacted to it. If there's no news right now, then say so - stop trying to predict the future.

grrrrrrrrrrr...

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
"In today's speech, [insert useless knob] will say......."

Drives me bonkers.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
... thing in life is people taking offence.

I throw this open for discussion :)
Bigotry, racism and bullying.

I think these are probably offensive, regardless of whether anyone actually objects. Perhaps ignoring them without making comment is in itself offensive (or at least difficult to defend)?

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Bigotry, racism and bullying.

I think these are probably offensive, regardless of whether anyone actually objects. Perhaps ignoring them without making comment is in itself offensive (or at least difficult to defend)?
That depends on when you believe a comment/opinion/attitude is bigoted/racist/bullying.

A bigot is someone whose attitude is "By God I'm Right", and by inference, someone else is wrong.
On here there are a lot of bigotted opinions expressed from time to time - isn't that what the rant room is about? But very few are gravely offensive/threatening. To me, most of it is harmless banter. Occassionally someone will appear whose constant bigotted attitude (i.e. a complete inability to listen to or attempt to understand any other viewpoint apart from their own) and after a few exchanges, I find the easiest thing to do is to walk away and ignore them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts