Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for the traffic to clear when leaving work at lunchtime today, I spotted a metallic silver-blue GT amongst the traffic. As I prepared to give the driver the customary thumbs up, I noticed a sprig of shocking white hair just peeping over the steering wheel with what looked like a very old lady attached to it.
When the traffic had passed, I set off in pursuit - not expecting it to be a probelm to catch up with an old lady.... However, about 2 miles later, when the road opened up into a 50mph dual carraigeway, the GT was only just visible in the distance - overtaking cars! The driver precisely indicating, pulling out, passing and moving back to the inside lane. I set off at 80mph and eventually caught up at a roundabout. The car was a '04 reg 2 litre petrol effort with a selespeed badge on the back (I didn't know that these existed!) The driver was indeed an old lady - I estimate in her early seventies.

If I can still drive with as much speed and precision, not to mention the savvy to operate something like a 'sillyspeed' gearbox when I reach her age, I will be chuffed to bits.

There is hope for us all yet!

·
Registered
253 Posts
My mother just the other day turned 80 and still loves her Alfas and used to like it when she tought of the young ones a lesson or two.

She doesn't look like it. Seems to be that there is some generation showing us something.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Long ago during my spotty youth as the owner of a road-going full race Lotus Super Seven, my next-door neibour was a delightful elderly lady, well into her seventies, who drove a Triumph TR2.... a car which required considerable skill and effort to drive quickly & safely.

However she was one of a relatively small handful of drivers in our area who routinely drove quickly, accurately, and safely. She was also one of the very few drivers other than fellow local club racers who could handle my Super Seven without stalling/kangarooing/over-steering/screaming in terror etc. :D

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Just goes to show you should never judge a driver by the cover .....I think I may be mixing metaphors there, but you know what I mean :lol:

·
Registered
24,538 Posts
Ability is everything. Age is a number. Preconceptions are foolish.;)

·
Premium Member
114,703 Posts
lynnb said:
Just goes to show you should never judge a driver by the cover .....I think I may be mixing metaphors there, but you know what I mean :lol:
Completely agree with Lynn :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Barbalatte said:
Guys I hate to rain in on your party, but I'm one of those annoying people who correct language.

It's One "Alfista" and Two "Alfisti". NOT one "Alfisti". Get it?

Are you sure it isn't "Alfiste" I could be wrong of course, but it's unlikely

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.