Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, following on from the W140 that served me marvellously for 12000 miles the next bargainous (and potentially ruinous) barge has been bought!

My £650 W140 S280. Bangernomics inside.

After having a bit of a torrid time on eBay and missing out on a few nice Audi A6 Quattros and getting messed about by a few traders over MGs and 328 Tourers I finally struck lucky this morning and won this rather spiffy looking 2001 V70 T5.

I was expecting it to finish at around £14-1500, but rather surprisingly i won it for the grand sum of £1070 :)

Ill be picking it up on Saturday - ive got myself a sleazyjet flight booked from Schippol to Manchester, a night at my relatives in Bradford and then a pick up arranged for Sunday. Another night with relatives in the UK on Sun night and then the P&O ferry to Rotterdam Monday night. Ive got myself a GoPro HD motorsports recently and will try to document the roadtrip as best I can!

Im not expecting miracles for £1k but after speaking to the seller it all seems very genuine! FSH, winter pack, family pack, cream leather, Volvo tow hook, 13 months MOT, a bit of tax and 4 decent tyres. The body looks straight with the worst spot being a graze on the front bumper and the interior looks to be in very good nick.

Photos below from the eBay advert, plenty more to come on Saturday.

Wish me luck, this will be the 3rd car I have bought blind on eBay and had to drive straight back to NL in - im hoping my good luck continues.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
:) Very nice.

'Im not expecting miracles for £1k but after speaking to the seller it all seems very genuine! FSH, winter pack, family pack, cream leather, Volvo tow hook, 13 months MOT, a bit of tax and 4 decent tyres.' :) :)

There was a previous generation V70R AWD Manual in Electric Saffron with <80K miles for sale in Essex late last year for £2500ish. I was tempted. It disappeared from the traders website to reappear briefly a few weeks later. I prefer the 850/v70s as they seem almost small these days and more suited to squeezing down the narrow lanes I use.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I look forward to seeing your road trip video.

I assume Volvo being Volvo they sorted the clutch on the AC pump that can seize throw the belt and take the cambelt with it by the time they made these models?

D

·
0 Posts
Class :D Volvos of that era are actually quite nice to drive and with that engine it won't be a slouch. And the stereos are decent in them too.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently the biggest problem on these is the autobox switching between D and R at low speeds. Liveable apparently but a PITA.

It does have the premium stereo, dual climate, yada yada etc etc. 250bhp and only a Rica chip away from 310bhp :)

M

·
0 Posts
Apparently the biggest problem on these is the autobox switching between D and R at low speeds. Liveable apparently but a PITA.

It does have the premium stereo, dual climate, yada yada etc etc. 250bhp and only a Rica chip away from 310bhp :)
A mate ran one of these for a while. Despite the size, they don't half shift when you want them to :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Just make sure the AWD system is fully working, a lot of them stop working to the rear axles due to propshaft issues.

Listen carefully to any drivechain noises windows down etc etc..

Great cars though.. :)

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Just make sure the AWD system is fully working, a lot of them stop working to the rear axles due to propshaft issues.

Listen carefully to any drivechain noises windows down etc etc..

Great cars though.. :)
Even though they're front wheel drive... ;)

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
You certainly seem to have the gift of finding good cars blind.......a lot of car for a grand.....hope the pick up goes without any hitches......:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This one is FWD. The gearboxes can be weak (as mentioned) but apart from that they are generally quite solid. The alarm/immobiliser can also go on the blink.

The seem like a decent bet to me; safe, solid, fast enough, plenty of creature comforts, design has aged quite well, 'classless' in a good way, comfy and yet old enough to have plenty of choice at breakers yards etc come repair time.

They are also worth a lot more €€€ over here in NL, which is important because I like to sell them locally and make a bit of a profit (or break even) come sale time :)

K

·
0 Posts
An awful lot of car for the money.

I looked at the previous T5 before I bought my 156 (petrol was a lot cheaper then) but there weren't many manuals about and the prospect of issues with the autos put me off.

Values of big petrol-engined cars seem to be in freefall though.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well im going out tonight and getting drunk and the trip begins tomorrow at 08.30 on a big yellow train in Roermond.

Bags are packed and ill update through the weekend

Wish me luck.

K

·
0 Posts
Well im going out tonight and getting drunk and the trip begins tomorrow at 08.30 on a big yellow train in Roermond.

Bags are packed and ill update through the weekend

Wish me luck.
Good luck bud, I hope it's a good 'un for you.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Righto!

So im in East Yorks now, at my parents place for the night. Ive taken some pictures but they are far from great seeing as the car is out on the street and its parked tight against some others - ill sort better out later in the week.

Its driven 110 miles today without fault. The gearbox 'seems' fine, although I am not going to kid myself and appreciate that this potentially could scupper me at some point.

Neg points on the exterior: Scuff on bumper and small car park ding on passenger door.

Neg points on the interior: Small burn on the seat squab from the heated seat element - all above mentioned in the advert, so no worries there.

I want to give it a bloody good valet both inside and out - its not grubby or anything, but I think a clay and a polish will really transofrm it. Theres no rust anywhere on it. The wheels are fine but would need a refurb to make perfect. The tyres are a budget brand (Federal) but all 4 match and they have plenty of life in them.

There are no wobbles through the wheel, it wieghts up nicely through the corners, the brakes are good and it stops in a straight line. The gearbox for now works well in full auto and steptronic and it down-shifts nicely.

On the trip over it managed 29mpg average, including frequent 0-60 hammerings :) 80mph on the GPS shows 38mpg on the computer.

Everything electrical works, AC is ice cold. Its got the upgraded Pro-Logic stereo and dual zone climate with the optional air quality sensor. Its got a few other options such as the picnic tables, booster seats, heated seats, front fogs, auto-dim mirrors and of course the cream cow hide. The only thing that really seems to be missing spec wise is the TV/Nav. All the pixels are present on the info screens.

The hook and electrics need a tocuh up of paint to make them look prettier, but its a massive bonus for me to have them. Ill attend to the scuff on the bumper too when I am back.

MOT shows the only advisory to be slightly corroded front brake pipes andf the ticket 12 months long.

Bonuses not mentioned in the advert:

- Brand new gearbox from Volvo in 2008 / 110k miles.
- Brand new radiators / fans from Volvo 6 months ago under a recall.

Looking through the paperwork the first owner ran it on the plate '19HC' and covered 90k miles in 2 1/2yrs!! Next owner was between 2003-05, the chap I bought it from ran it as the family wagon since 2005. Only sold to replace with an XC90 that was sitting next to it in the driveway when I arrived.

I *think* I have picked well. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts