Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Course it would be some faux-crossover thing. Used to be quite fond of the old one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The original Puma was based on the Fiesta of the time.
The new Pima is based on the current Fiesta.
Nobody is making any money making Coupes but they are making money on Sport Utility Vehicles for which there is a market.
People like curvaceous cars. A curvaceous SUV based on the Fiesta makes sense.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,948 Posts
Not my cup of tea as a niche etc etc, but more athletic looking than many others. Can see that appealing to quite a wide demographic.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
The original Puma was based on the Fiesta of the time.
The new Pima is based on the current Fiesta.
Nobody is making any money making Coupes but they are making money on Sport Utility Vehicles for which there is a market.
People like curvaceous cars. A curvaceous SUV based on the Fiesta makes sense.
Yeah, I think you missed my point. I realise both new and old Pumas are based on their respective Fiesta platforms blah blah blah but the guy who invented the knife didn't then take the same base metal, stick some prongy things on it and call that a knife as well.

That pile in the picture has no resemblance to the original so rather than be lazy or hark back to a semi popular car, call it something different.

And I know they're called tines.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,948 Posts
‘That pile in the picture has no resemblance to the original so rather than be lazy or hark back to a semi popular car, call it something different.‘

Harvo, sir - that could apply to the Giulia and Giulietta, too ?

Also... there’s going to be a generation of customers who have no knowledge of the first Puma, so they won’t be drawing a connection. And Puma’s a pretty good name, so why not? ?

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,948 Posts
Lol, sorry. It’s unlikely l’ll make any further sense today, so at least we got that out of the way early and before anyone else sees it ?

Reactions: Harvo

·
Administrator
47,059 Posts
In other news, they're bringing out a new GT40. It's a motorhome.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Proof that many car buyers these days have no taste whatsoever.

If cars such as the Nissan Juke were not enough..

·
Registered
37,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
“satisfying generally accepted social or esthetic standards. decorous - characterized by propriety and dignity and good taste in manners and conduct; "the tete-a-tete was decorous in the extreme"”

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I sort-of get the issue with using the Puma name, but it's a recognisable name within Ford, it works alongside 'Kuga' because people may think Puma and (mistakenly) 'Cougar' and I actually think it's alright looking, especially alongside some of its rivals.

On the basis of FCAs current range (or lack of) I'd be tempted to give Ford a whirl - the Fiesta, Focus and this Puma all appeal much more than their predecessors. Not that this is necessarily a big achievement in the case of the Puma, which replaces the God awful EcoSport, but even so, I like the Puma. It'll sell like hot cakes.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Thank you. You've just reminded me that Ford can't name cars eg. Ecosport (or 'Echo'sport as it's annoyingly pronounced) so Puma is probably best all round.

·
Registered
16,220 Posts
Whether I like or not is neither here nor there. These are the things people want to buy. We might all nod appreciatively at a nippy, agile little fastback but if nobody buys them, there's no point designing and making them. As for how it looks, I find it quite inoffensive personally.

As for the name, recycling is common as Gino points out. As well as the Alfas we have the Ford Galaxy, the Dodge Charger, and the Cougar was originally Mercury's Mustang.

I personally find it very disappointing that Ford stopped naming their cars after skin mags.

·
Administrator
47,059 Posts
Ah yes. The Ford Readers Wives was a classic.

Reactions: Alfamack
1 - 20 of 22 Posts