Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My Alfa Romeo 2001 GTV V6 has had a lot of work done (changed coil, new coil, new spark plugs, changed lambda sensor) to cure a problem with its inability to rev past 4000 rpm and the engine management light being on (I don't know if the revving problem was self-induced to protect the engine).

Since the work was done then the problem seems to be fixed with the revs but the engine management light keeps coming on. Sometimes it just flashes for 10s then goes and sometimes it stays on and needs to be turned off by the garage. The light always comes on whilst the car is stopped and idling in traffic.

2 garages have looked at this now but they can't find a fault so they turn the light off and it just fine although every time I stop its a lottery as to whether the light comes on again or not.

Anyone ever experienced something similar to this? I'm just gonna run it until a noticable flaw occurs in how the engine runs I think.

Thanks for any advice
:thumbs:

A

·
0 Posts
Just yesterday.
Came on with no apparent fault. It went out during the journey but came back this morning and stayed on.
Car is running just as it should - wondering if its maybe a Lambda sensor or something as i have just put a new exhaust on.

PS anyone know how you can test the sensor?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Can't you get a garage to get the ecu error code read? They seem to be able to turn off the light but they can't find the error code? Or you could get the kit and try yourself.

A

·
0 Posts
Garage charges £40 for code reading and clearing. I'm bored of paying car bills at the minute so it has to be a free fix.
Light gone out again this evening anyway - fingers crossed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds v similar to my problem. My lambda sensor has been replaced and it is still happening.

When the garage run the error code they haven't told me the code itself but are saying its just picking up an intermittent misfire although that isn't apparent when driving so they don't know how to fix.

Weird that it only happens when stationery too . . .

A

·
0 Posts
Well mine came back on this morning along with a misfire. Fine at idle when it revs it goes funny. Bloody thing.
When the MAF goes does cause the light to come on?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mines the same as andyroo's woth new s/s exhaust - always goes out after 5 - 10 miles no funny noises or rev problems - put it down to quirkyness

A

·
0 Posts
Went out again on the way home - I'm assuming its a sensor on its last legs. Missfire disappeared as well.
Fuel economy is also worse than usual

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Had this problem on my 2.0 jts intermittent misfire on random cylinders it turned out to be a faulty fuse that had blowen but at one end , when stationary no misfire rev the engine misfire, this showed up on the ecu fault code as Maf lambda and coil pack. I picked up a cheap code reader off e-bay for £45 thinking it could'nt be all these problems i checked the fuse box by the air filter and in the dark you could see the fuse shorting out, fuse changed ecu reset and alls well.
Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts