Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Aside from the 60's and 70's classic Alfa's, which modern Alfa would you consider to be undervalued? My vote goes for the 145/146 particularly in 2.0 form. Immensely practical, great to drive and cheap as chips.

Discuss.

Al

Reactions: Miles G

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
155. :( just as worthless but it was my first Alfa and it's still a great car.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I'd probably agree with the 145. 155 and 75 seem to be picking up a bit more of late.

·
Registered
40,064 Posts
2 litre versions of the GTV and spider are criminally cheap at the moment.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I guess there are still a lot of 156's in banger territory so that's a fair shout. I was thinking more in terms of semi classic status so I was discounting 156/166, which are stupidly cheap. Sadly, a lot are ropey.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
164 I reckon, they're getting hard to come by and there are a couple on for silly money compared with their normal market rate, but I've seen quite a few pop up (including V6s) for well under £1000 in the past year. Guess the two advertised for silly money might push the prices up though.

The 156 / 166 are still too young to be considered undervalued, many of the cheap cars are neglected old bangers 1 MOT fail away from the scrapyard, but if the values still stay low in a year or so they'll definitely be undervalued :)

I reckon the 147/156 GTA's going to be an interesting one in the next few years though - whilst researching 156 V6s I noticed the GTA pops up in quite a few 'soon to be classic' or 'grab them whilst they're cheap' articles. So I reckon their prices will take a short-term hike once the investors start buying them, and then drop really low for a year or so when the investors realize they're not a Ferrari or a Jag and try to get shot of them. I saw that happen with the Merc 190e - they got over-hyped, the prices skyrocketed and then the bubble burst. The Merc 190e prices are just now beginning to pick up again, and if the GTA gets a similar bubble, expect to see values rise then dip dramatically, before being worth serious money in a few years time.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,250 Posts
If I had the garage space, I would buy a 916, one of the last with a Busso engine. It would have to be lowish miles and immaculate condition, they are out there. In 20 years it will have earned its rent.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If I had the garage space, I would buy a 916, one of the last with a Busso engine. It would have to be lowish miles and immaculate condition, they are out there. In 20 years it will have earned its rent.
Mmm, I'd go along with that, esp if you can find a good 3.2 for sensible money :)

We did look at a few 3.2s about a decade ago with low miles, fsh, etc. We spent 6 months looking for the perfect GTV / Spider before settling on an immaculate 3.0 gtv with 35k on the clock (turned out it and a dodgy immo, which is probably why it only had 35k on the clock). All but one of the 3.2 Spiders had signs of grounding damage on the bottom (scrapes on the sump, scrapes / dents on the sills, etc), one had a whining diff, and the perfect one we did find sold in the hour before we'd got back with the deposit.

My old 3.0 - wonder if it still exists, or if it was beaten to death by a frustrated owner?

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag207/mje2k/gtv_zps5173e325.jpg

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
159, huge improvements in build quality and reliability and styling that is awesome, perhaps lacking in the driving side, which can be overcome with a little work!

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
156 V6.

Currently cheap as chips. I bought a very crummy one for £200, but there are well looked after ones going for a grand. They're being scrapped for the want of a cambelt, or a morning with a MIG on the floorpans.

However, there have been a fair number of people on here wanting a decent one - and I've seen the odd similar post on Pistonheads.

In its favour:

- It is a modern car. You get into a 155 and it feels old - old like my Alfetta. I can swap between the 156 and a 159 TI and not really notice the difference. Modern electronics and sound proofing sees to that.

- If you want a V6 saloon, it is the most recent Alfa you can buy with decent road tax levels. Anything from 06 onwards is expensive. GTA is the only alternative.

- It is a surprisingly practical saloon - so half decent rear seats, sensible boot, easy to drive. The interiors are excellent, even if the dash materials are a bit dull.

- I think the 2.5 is a better engine than the 3.2. Of course the 3.2 has more grunt, but the 2.5 is rev happy, and it is more fun to drive.

- With a small amount of invisible tweaking, the handling can be made excellent

1 - 20 of 50 Posts