Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problems with the 2.4 JTdM 57 42000 miles continues.

Just fixed split turbo hose [see other thread] get back from very gentle first trip out, open drivers door and smell really bad burning.

Pop the bonnet after telling wife it can't be us and there is white smoke drifting up from bowels of engine bay on drivers side. Engine off at this point! smoke dissapears but oh really bad ruber burning smell. Think the tape repair to the turbo hose is the cause - nope that's fine. Let car cool down. With car up on ramps started up and let it idle. Smoke reappears, switch off! So feeling around the now warm not hot engine bay, from underneath with undertray off found a very warm crankshaft pulley. On closer inspection noticed a 10mm chunk missing from the rubber doughnut insert [shock absorber] in the crankshaft pulley. Goodness knows why the crankshaft pulley had failed but the centre boss had become detached from the pulley casing. Result: The burning was caused by the power steering + air con compressor load causing the pully to stall whilst the inner fixture continued to rotate - result - friction causing rubber to heat up and burn. With aircon off and no load on power steering the pully rotates easy. Remove the belt and find that the pulley is now a loose fit on the centre boss and can be turned on its own.

So the conundrum - have to get to workshop with no auxiliary belt on as did not fancy driving it when every time I turn a corner the pulley spins and heats up. Means I have no power steering on the trip and have to make it before battery gives out.

Never heard of a crankshaft pulley failure before - novel but after replacing turbo, and power steering pump, why should I be surprised!!:cry:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Aux drive pulley is quite straight forward to do. There is no timing involved, just remove the belt using I think 24mm or 26mm on the tensioner, undo the 5-6 torques cap screws from the pulley and throw it in the bin. Then refit in reverse order.
I really would'nt drive it, that pulley is So close to the cam belt that if it wobbled it could take out you cam belt.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Coxy1.

I have the star bit for the bolts but can't shift them. Taken the belt off and checked the pully, it rotates but does notpull off so for the 3 miles at slow rpm should be OK.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes, there tight and the thread lock on them dont help. Be brave and get your big bar out.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Been driving a peugeot HDi for a while, their crankshaft pulleys are notorious for failing, I would try and avoid driving it due to proximity of cam belt (having said that, drove mine for 300miles after a bit of metal flew out the pulley, had an interview to get to).

·
Registered
4,824 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
The problems with the 2.4 JTdM 57 42000 miles continues.

Just fixed split turbo hose [see other thread] get back from very gentle first trip out, open drivers door and smell really bad burning.

Pop the bonnet after telling wife it can't be us and there is white smoke drifting up from bowels of engine bay on drivers side. Engine off at this point! smoke dissapears but oh really bad ruber burning smell. Think the tape repair to the turbo hose is the cause - nope that's fine. Let car cool down. With car up on ramps started up and let it idle. Smoke reappears, switch off! So feeling around the now warm not hot engine bay, from underneath with undertray off found a very warm crankshaft pulley. On closer inspection noticed a 10mm chunk missing from the rubber doughnut insert [shock absorber] in the crankshaft pulley. Goodness knows why the crankshaft pulley had failed but the centre boss had become detached from the pulley casing. Result: The burning was caused by the power steering + air con compressor load causing the pully to stall whilst the inner fixture continued to rotate - result - friction causing rubber to heat up and burn. With aircon off and no load on power steering the pully rotates easy. Remove the belt and find that the pulley is now a loose fit on the centre boss and can be turned on its own.

So the conundrum - have to get to workshop with no auxiliary belt on as did not fancy driving it when every time I turn a corner the pulley spins and heats up. Means I have no power steering on the trip and have to make it before battery gives out.

Never heard of a crankshaft pulley failure before - novel but after replacing turbo, and power steering pump, why should I be surprised!!:cry:
Mine went. A little while later the air con compressor needed replacing now one of the cabin fans is on it's way out. Probably not linked but it's part of my ongoing money pit. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK update - drove down without power steering - never experienced such heavy steering before, a real work out. Garage managed to source an aftermarket pulley (not [email protected]~ £180). Available today, fitted and drove away. Brilliant. 160£ inc new belt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts