Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GTA Update :

Well I've had the GTA coming up to 2 years at the start of May so I thought I would take it off the road for some of this year and get some jobs done on it and not need to be rushed when putting it back together. When it's all done I can retax it etc. I have a couple of other cars to use in the mean time.

Car has now just passed the 50K mark.

First 2 jobs - Original backbox now majorly rusty despite coat of black hamerite when I picked her up.

Really want to stick with original and I believe a car will hold its value better non modified - and I have a Punto GT to modify around with to fix that bug.

Eb spares ok for the exhuast? Not thinking of buying atm but will be in a few months. Then give it a coat of black high temp paint as a member did on here. Will it last?? Are the old backboxes easy to get off/new ones easy to fit??

Radiator - 2.5 V6 one ok?? Again probs from eb spares. Are these hard to fit yourself??

Auxilliary belt already has a new crack in - can I do this myself or does it start getting major? i.e. cambelt off?? Anyone got a procedure?

Have a few suspension issues such as ARB drop links and a rear suspension arm which needs to be changed - will probably get a garage to sort that for me though.

Had Q2, clutch, belts everything major done fairly recently - so this is just sorting the minor odds and ends out to make the car concourse again.

Then money dependent I may get the front splitter repsrayed to finish her off.

Anyone got any tips on fitting the above parts?

Cheers

jrr

:cool:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I got the EB Spares box and painted it up, it still looks as good as the day i did it some months ago now so it gets the thumbs up from me :cool:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Standard is probably the way to go to keep the value up long term, although I think geniune enthusiasts won't be put off by a decent S/S exhaust provided it matches the style of the existing and isn't too noisy. I'm trying not to do anything to mine that isn't reversable.

I'm looking to get a lot done to mine this year too which I bet will mount up. I haven't looked at the aux belts/rad on mine but I guess I should. I'd be scared with yours if its cracked though - I think they can take out the cambelt if they go?

Definintly get the front resprayed though as it makes a huge difference - I had mine done in the summer and now it is perfect it is easier to keep it that way (no-more tailgating so no more chips lol!)

M

·
0 Posts
The exhaust, radiator and droplinks are easy to do, especially as you won't have to rush. Take the bumper off to make fitting the rad easier, and then if you can transport it to a bodyshop you won't pay as much labour as you will have removed it yourself. A complete respray would be better than just getting the splitter done......and you'll never be happy if you just go for a 'blow in', as one part will be 100%, whilst the rest wont. Just my two pennys worth:)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no way I'd fork out for a full respray - the rest of the bodywork is far too good.

At max it would be splitter and front part of bumper. (it's only light stone chips).

Rest of the car is immaculate and I'd risk losing the Alfa OE quality paint/finish etc.

Having seen too many bodge full repsrays (that still cost over £2k) I would avoid.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I would go for a S/S exhaust - i think that would be seen as a bonus come selling, givinhg the original system's propensity to rust (and, IIRC, the original system is pretty expensive too).

M

·
0 Posts
There is no way I'd fork out for a full respray - the rest of the bodywork is far too good.

At max it would be splitter and front part of bumper. (it's only light stone chips).

Rest of the car is immaculate and I'd risk losing the Alfa OE quality paint/finish etc.

Having seen too many bodge full repsrays (that still cost over £2k) I would avoid.
Sorry JR.....I meant a respray of the whole front bumper.......not the whole car:lol:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I had the whole bump sprayed and the rear quarters done as well. They got away with the colour blending mid panel but had to laquer the whole panel. It is the laquer which gives them diffiulty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts