Alfa Romeo Forum banner

381 - 399 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce (67)
18 Posts
Hi all,

So in short, I'm still having what I believe to be battery issues. I charged my car with CTEK to level 7 last monday,
Had had around 1hr run the day before and has since had about another hour run yesterday. Directly after the run yesterday MES reported 19%SOC so something is up for sure!

is there any way of resetting the IBS sensor, or a calibration procedure?

i have been in contact with Neil at NJS, I will be booking my car in for all ECU software updates soon, I may even ask him to change battery for me. saves the hassle of doing it myself.. also does anyone know the part number for a Dec 2017 build IBS sensor, may just replace it at the same time.

strnage that the car had a full ctek charge and was left to rest but the SOC actually went down.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
It may not be a faulty IBS sensor. They need to test th battery using a proper tester and that should show if the battery is faulty. As for IBS part number, best bet would be to call the local dealer parts department and give your reg no, they should be able to provide the part number and lead time.

Reactions: AshleyJU

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
As for IBS part number, best bet would be to call the local dealer parts department .
Neil will know the part number. He has access to ePER.

Reactions: AshleyJU

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Where was that sensor I was going to look for on my Stelvio?
It will be on the negative pole of the battery.

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
489 Posts
I can’t add anything of value to this thread only to say what a blessed relief my Giulietta Veloce and 4C don’t have auto stop start. One less thing to concern myself with which means more to enjoy. After having it on the Multiair I can gladly live without it.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Obviously limited use of the car isn't helping due to lockdown and working from home, I still intend to replace the battery so hoping to push these gremlins under the carpet in the new year...
I last checked the SoC of my Quadrifoglio using MES 2 weeks ago and it was 65%.
In that time, I've driven the car once on Monday when I did 37 miles, today the SoC was 69%.
On the previous 59 mile drive the SoC rose from 53% to 65%.

I think this shows that
  1. a Giulia without faults and a 'good' battery doesn't lose too much charge, if left idle for a couple of weeks.
  2. a short drive is enough to get the charge into the 60's, whilst, I believe, a long drive is rarely going to get the SoC above 70%, as measured by the IBS/BCM
Note that my battery is the original nearly 4 years old and I didn't use my C-TEK in the 2 week period.
I've never had the low battery warning in 4 years.

It would seem certain that there is something wrong with @AshleyJU's Giulia. I rather doubt if the IBS Sensor is the cause.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I can’t add anything of value to this thread only to say what a blessed relief my Giulietta Veloce and 4C don’t have auto stop start. One less thing to concern myself with which means more to enjoy. After having it on the Multiair I can gladly live without it.
S/S on the Giulia is quite harmless, if you remember to disable it.

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
is there any way of resetting the IBS sensor, or a calibration procedure?
Actually very simple. Simply disconnect the negative battery pole for 10 minutes or so. Upon reconnecting, the IBS sensor will start a recallibration.

from service manual:

When the IBS is powered up for the first time or is powered after a power disconnection, it enters a
“recalibration” phase, where the IBS must recognize the type of battery and its characteristics and state. In
this phase the tolerances on the state functions (SOC, SOF) are greater than in normal working condition.
When IBS is disconnected from the battery, the device loses its stored memory. When power is restored,
the IBS starts a relearn process. Until the relearn process is complete, accurate battery state information is
unavailable to other vehicle systems. The IBS relearn process requires one start and at least 4 hours of
quiescent time (vehicle off, electrical system asleep). Remember, the relearn process is restarted every
time power is reconnected to the IBS. This has a major effect on the stop/start feature.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I last checked the SoC of my Quadrifoglio using MES 2 weeks ago and it was 65%.
In that time, I've driven the car once on Monday when I did 37 miles, today the SoC was 69%.
On the previous 59 mile drive the SoC rose from 53% to 65%.

I think this shows that
  1. a Giulia without faults and a 'good' battery doesn't lose too much charge, if left idle for a couple of weeks.
  2. a short drive is enough to get the charge into the 60's, whilst, I believe, a long drive is rarely going to get the SoC above 70%, as measured by the IBS/BCM
Note that my battery is the original nearly 4 years old and I didn't use my C-TEK in the 2 week period.
I've never had the low battery warning in 4 years.

It would seem certain that there is something wrong with @AshleyJU's Giulia. I rather doubt if the IBS Sensor is the cause.
Really appreciate this reply, I do suspect my battery is at fault. If I’m honest the cost of replacement is well worth it in my case for peace of mind at very least.

I will be getting a new battery very soon, I was planning to try and get through the winter before buying a new one. I am going to go for an AGM looking at 80ah at the moment (AGM115) but I also am considering the 95ah (AGM019)

I will go for a new battery at first, and have all ECU software updated. Then replace the IBS if required. If I’m honest the only real issue for me is the HRW, I can happily live without start stop, I am also going to purchase esponix’s S/S deactivation device.

I am still really happy with the car, even with small issues such as this the car still puts a massive smile on my face.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Actually very simple. Simply disconnect the negative battery pole for 10 minutes or so. Upon reconnecting, the IBS sensor will start a recallibration.

from service manual:

When the IBS is powered up for the first time or is powered after a power disconnection, it enters a
“recalibration” phase, where the IBS must recognize the type of battery and its characteristics and state. In
this phase the tolerances on the state functions (SOC, SOF) are greater than in normal working condition.
When IBS is disconnected from the battery, the device loses its stored memory. When power is restored,
the IBS starts a relearn process. Until the relearn process is complete, accurate battery state information is
unavailable to other vehicle systems. The IBS relearn process requires one start and at least 4 hours of
quiescent time (vehicle off, electrical system asleep). Remember, the relearn process is restarted every
time power is reconnected to the IBS. This has a major effect on the stop/start feature.
Awesome, thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I suspect your battery is effect rather than cause. You might be better to stick with the current battery charging it frequently, if you can, until the cause is identified.

I have used Neil of NJS for years, you can be confident he will get to the bottom of the problem. He can't do any warranty work though if your car is still in warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, I understand. I’ll book it in with NJS see what can be found. Lockdown is such a pain, but needed IMO.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Don’t you have to remember to disable it at every start or is there a permanent disabling procedure?
With senility in the offing, I chose to buy @epsonix's gadget. A good investment.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
With senility in the offing, I chose to buy @epsonix's gadget. A good investment.
Fitted mine nearly 2 years ago and worth mentioning I have never had any battery or HRW related issues and the car is coming up to 4 years old in July. (y)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Fitted mine nearly 2 years ago and worth mentioning I have never had any battery or HRW related issues and the car is coming up to 4 years old in July. (y)
A very good point. My old Giulietta Multiairs’ battery failed after 2.5 years (with stop/start). Never had a car battery fail so early in my life.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
My MiTo QV's battery lasted 6 years. I always have its S/S disabled.

381 - 399 of 399 Posts