Alfa Romeo Forum banner

341 - 360 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
so you did huge mileage a few days earlier, so managed (nonetheless of intelligent charging) to get around 85% SoC (or even more as on Alpine curly roads you likely used a lot of brakes so got full charging sometimes, so maybe reached 90% or so?)
No that wasn't actually the case. Yes I'd driven a good distance in the preceding 48 hours, but I'd only just arrived in the Alps after taking autoroutes most of the way there without braking much.

MES has very rarely reported a state of charge below 50% in the 3+ years I've had the Quadrifoglio (5 cases out of 91 measurements, in fact) so that might have resulted in hrw normally being available to me?

The fact that I do very little urban driving and always have STOP/START disabled probably explains why my SoC is normally over 50%.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I guess Alfa does not know how to do efficient/fast heated seats.
Perhaps, no true Alfista would want a heated seat.
Heavens, my first car's heater was completely ineffective! Heated seats, BOH!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any long term workarounds that can be implemented to alleviate the HRW issue. I'm not at all fussed about start/stop but with autumn/winter round the corner the rear windows not being clear is going to be a pain in the backside.

I am sure it will be resolve by new battery but then the issue will surely crop up again once the charge is falls below the required level.

Is a trickle fee charger thingy an option?
I've only just recently bought a Giulia and due to all this chatter about the battery and the fact that the Start/Stop didn't work (HRW did), I got a CTEK Battery Sense Bluetooth monitor and the connect cable to go with it. Hooked it all together in the boot and the little plug for the charger just sticks out from under the battery cover inside the boot. I'm fortunate enough to have a covered drive and already own a CTEK MXS5 so I just ran an extension lead under the garage door and left it on charge for all of Sunday. It went from 54% to 100% by the time I went to bed. Took it for a drive on Monday and the Start/Stop worked within the first 5 minutes of the journey so I guess I just need to keep an eye on it and keep it topped up from now on.

I notice that CTEK also do a connect cable with three LED's to show battery state and it incorporates the socket for hooking the charger to if you don't want to go down the route of a bluetooth gadget in the boot, you could simply open the boot and check what's what by looking at it.

·
Registered
946 Spider LE, Giulia Veloce
455 Posts
I have the traffic light LED comfort connection for C Tek chargers. Totally inaccurate nearly always shows red as you have to open boot to view it and when boot light comes on battery voltage drops so LED shows red. If you waited 15mins with boot open so all courtesey lights and auxilliary power circuits shut down after stopping engine it would show green !

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the traffic light LED comfort connection for C Tek chargers. Totally inaccurate nearly always shows red as you have to open boot to view it and when boot light comes on battery voltage drops so LED shows red. If you waited 15mins with boot open so all courtesey lights and auxilliary power circuits shut down after stopping engine it would show green !
Good job I didn’t buy one then by the sounds of it!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Good job I didn’t buy one then by the sounds of it!
My local dealership has them on their showroom vehicles, sticking out from under the bonnet.
For daily drivers they are pretty much useless.
Unfortunately, I did buy one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
So discovered my rear window heating doesn't work yesterday morning whilst I was doing the school run. Car has been booked in with Palmers Hemal Hempstead for them to check. They are aware of the problem as the service lady said we will need the car for 2 days to check the battery levels.

Would Alfa Keep data on how many cars have had to go bar to a dealer for this issue?

Surely something as important as keeping the rear windows clear (was told this mentioned in the highway code by my driving instructor many many years ago) would not be deactivated once the battery charge level dips below "x" percent.
Don't hold your breath - I took mine to Palmers with a non functional HRW at least a year ago. They said "no fault found" - still hasn't worked.

Today is new battery day - so we shall see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
It will (for a day or so). If your usage pattern of the car is such that the 'intelligent' charging can't keep the SoC over 50%, it will stop working.

Another battery which is almost certainly in good working order, gets replaced under warranty.

Perhaps, if ARUK gave each Giulia owner a free CTEK, they'd make a big saving overall?

·
Registered
946 Spider LE, Giulia Veloce
455 Posts
My local dealership has them on their showroom vehicles, sticking out from under the bonnet.
For daily drivers they are pretty much useless.
Unfortunately, I did buy one.
Yes I have seen many dealers with them connected to under bonnet connections with the traffic light bit visible below wiper arms, its always on view without opening any doors or boot. I have mine permanently attached to battery so can still use it for charging once a month but just ignore the LEDs when ever I go into the boot.
So far no issues with stop start as I always turn it off, if I forget I soon find out at the first junction I stop at so I know its working so HRW must also work .

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I wonder if the 20MY Giulias might have newer software and might have a hrw solution? Any one on Alfaowner bought one yet?
I have fresh 500miles Veloce Q4 MY2020 in my garage right now for race mode programming.
I went through multiple of ECUs, see a lot of them have much higher firmware revs or completely different streams (numeration of software)
BCM 3214 where we have 0724 (14xx on stelvios pre facelift), IPC 3xxx where we have 2038 or 3C depends on type latest (or one of latest), ABS 8601 where before we were highest around 8591 I seen, Gearbox, engine, infotainment (MV118). PAM and electric seats are the same like mine (mid 2018 level).

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Interesting info, such a big change in the BCM version suggests to me that there's been a BCM hardware change and 3214 wouldn't install on an old Giulia. If the 20MY Giulia did have different charging logic, it would infer that at least AR know they got it wrong in the first cars.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yes, BCM has different ISO code, hardware version etc. Also, you need to take into account that even if HW was identical (and ISO code etc), then sometimes update of one unit requires some others to be also brought up. It was case with latest PAM module and ABS. If ABS was not at least at 8401 firmware revision, then update of PAM (or replace of PAM to new) was causing immediatelly dash message and PDC was not working at all. THere is service news on this (similar like one for updating 6 units after infotainment firmware update to >=MV072).

As side message (its fresh just done, so I'm enthusiastic), I had hot line with Yani (MES author) today, first he resolved failing rear heated seats proxi, then we cracked on failing TBM (emergency call module new in MY2020), and we got that - I have done sucessful proxi with development rev 4.6R8 on that MY2020 Veloce, so that will go to next official release of MES, shoudl be well covering Giulias with any spec and possibly Stelvios (I think he was working recently on hatch kick opennin unit which was also not working well).
Regards
Leszek

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
135 Posts
Don't hold your breath - I took mine to Palmers with a non functional HRW at least a year ago. They said "no fault found" - still hasn't worked.

Was your car under warranty. Surely if they didn't find a fault and the next day when you drove the car the HRW didn't work, they are compelled to investigate and resolve even it means replacing the battery at their expense?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
It will (for a day or so). If your usage pattern of the car is such that the 'intelligent' charging can't keep the SoC over 50%, it will stop working.

Another battery which is almost certainly in good working order, gets replaced under warranty.

Perhaps, if ARUK gave each Giulia owner a free CTEK, they'd make a big saving overall?
Was your car under warranty. Surely if they didn't find a fault and the next day when you drove the car the HRW didn't work, they are compelled to investigate and resolve even it means replacing the battery at their expense?
Well it was summer so it was hard to tell, and I (perhaps foolishly) took them at their word. To be completely fair - technically it is capable of working (eg there is no break in the circuit, which i guess is what they may have checked) - it just doesnt sort of come on!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
That's the approach that a typical AR dealer in UK will take I'm afraid. They probably confirmed that the hrw could be energised by means of WiTech2 and stopped without giving the matter any further thought.

Reactions: U696783

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
135 Posts
I've taken to trolling alfa and FCA group on twitter everday till the acknowledge me but something tells me "ignoring" is a highly developed skill for them in the elite levels.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interesting info, such a big change in the BCM version suggests to me that there's been a BCM hardware change and 3214 wouldn't install on an old Giulia. If the 20MY Giulia did have different charging logic, it would infer that at least AR know they got it wrong in the first cars.
My own experience, based on a Veloce, now 12 months old, and previous Super that I had for 2 1/2 years (both petrol) is that the charging regime now seems to be much improved. I had all of the documented battery charge issues with the Super, but to date the Veloce is just fine. Lockdown has limited our car usage, so that it has spent weeks sat on the drive or just making very short journeys for grocery shopping and so on, but Start/Stop is still working - love it or loathe it, it is a good indicator of battery condition. Maybe I just got lucky, but I suspect that there have been mods and FCA don't want to own up to the original problems.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Good news!
Any chance you've got MES and you're able to tell which BCM software version your car has?

Perhaps, I've just learnt of a second justification to buy a 20MY Quadrifoglio. Ski Hatch plus charging logic that works, probably still not enough to tip the balance though.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yes I have seen many dealers with them connected to under bonnet connections with the traffic light bit visible below wiper arms, its always on view without opening any doors or boot. I have mine permanently attached to battery so can still use it for charging once a month but just ignore the LEDs when ever I go into the boot.
So far no issues with stop start as I always turn it off, if I forget I soon find out at the first junction I stop at so I know its working .
Treat yourself to one of Espinox's s/s system over-rides. I have one on both our cars, they're great.

341 - 360 of 399 Posts