Alfa Romeo Forum banner

181 - 200 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm certain the logic in Alfa's software is flawed. One can but hope that there will be a software update before too much longer to resolve things.
I doubt they will change it ever at least for 1st generation cars - now they have facelift version, with likely BCM supporting many new features (not necessarily firmware backward compatible). of course they will be busy for some time resolving issues of new features, so doubt resources will be put on sold cars. I think AR treats the issue as minor, some people have problems, other not, some use CTEK, other will replace battery on warranty - they must believe it is cheaper that way than solving the problem correctly (IMHO)

I don’t seem to experience the “mess” that Giulia owner experience. I get the reassurance that I’m not using the car too much so the Start / Stop doesn’t work sometimes. I think the HRW has always worked, although I use the camera quite a bit. I use the heated seats and wheel so I’m not surprised but is the brain set differently on the Stelvio?
on Stelvio I never heard about HRW being disabled - maybe they set SoC levels different way? but cars down etc happened in the same rate as on Giulias thats my impression.

·
Registered
33,712 Posts
In the account here of Car's Toureg getting a puncture and needing power for the compressor. There was none..

“To make it useable you need the supplied air compressor. To make that work, you need electricity.

But we had none. No power from any of the three on-board 12v sockets. I'd never noticed before because I use the wireless charging tray to juice my phone. I turned the car on and off, tried locking it and restarting it, even dropping it down off the jack in case there was some weird anti-tilt thing going on. Nothing.”

Sounds familiar ? They blame the kids!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm certain the logic in Alfa's software is flawed. One can but hope that there will be a software update before too much longer to resolve things.

Andy
The flip-side is that my Veloce, new last September, hasn't had the same problems at all, even though my driving patterns are exactly the same as with the old car, so maybe they already changed it?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
So having started the thread some considerable time ago, let me update from my perspective.
Essentially nothing has changed. I still have the car and still very much enjoy it, so have decided that this is merely a character trait of the Giulia, which is why we love them.

Every now and then the HRW does work, just to prove that there is nothing wrong with the actual circuit. The SS works once in a blue moon, but i don't miss it.
I do a mostly short journey thing and have a CTEK charger. This doesn't cure the fault. Sometimes it helps, but it is not predictable.
I took it back to the garage at the last service - they said "no fault found" (presumably meaning that they couldn't be bothered).
i will do so again at the next service, but my hopes are not high.

A secondary consequence of this that I have just found out is that the 12V power socket is also powered on the HRW circuit, so if the HRW isn't working (usual state) then you have no 12v power.
Why would you need a 12V power (the USBs still work fine) you may ask? Puncture is the answer, as the silly silly puncture repair kit relies on a 12V powered pump which is in your boot.
So - no means to reinflate your tyre (if the sealant works - which is unlikely) - So, do carry around a foot pump, like we all used to.

Is this a safety issue I did ask myself? It's debatable. You can clear ice off your screen with a scrapper, but it does ice up again eventually. I don't actually think that the law requires you to see through the back (van drivers can't), but it doesn't seem right.

My theory - and people have written more intelligently about this than me- is that the OEM battery is not really up to the job, So my fall back plan is to eventually replace the battery which may give me some more quality time back with my long lamented heated rear windscreen. I live in hope.

I can see the demand for these going up:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Not having 12v in the boot is ridiculous considering the battery is already there.

This is my solution for using compressor or mini vac, I just have it isolated via the breaker when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
If people have problems they really need to call Alfa Customer Service and raise it as a case. The more that do the less Alfa can ignore the issue.
I raised the issue with ACC in Italy way back, thinking the same as you, but was told that only when an Alfa dealer raises a case will it go through to Alfa Technical for resolution. Given the number of warranty claims that must be out there (plenty reported on this forum alone), you'd think they would have taken some action - and given that my Veloce seems to be fine, as previously posted, maybe they have; they're just no admitting it. Does anybody else with a relatively new car, say bought within the last 6 months, have these problems or is it restricted to older builds?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've got a 2017 veloce which I bought used and the stop start has only worked once after a 400 mile drive and the heated rear window also only worked once.

It's been looked at twice under warranty without resolution and I've been told they are waiting for a fix from alfa as its a known issue. Both times I was told the battery had low charge (despite having been on several long trips before dropping it off).

I did notice that the 2019 super I had as a loan worked flawlessly.

One other thing I read whilst doing research was that EFB batteries lose capacity quick quickly after a relatively short number of cycles.

I had a new AGM battery of the same size that I never got round to fitting to my old car and have swapped that in. I'll report back on whether it has made a difference in a couple of weeks.

One thing I did notice whilst changing it over was that both the positive and negative battery clamps had quite a lot of corrosion on them which is apparently a symptom of both under and over charging.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got a 2017 veloce which I bought used and the stop start has only worked once after a 400 mile drive and the heated rear window also only worked once.

It's been looked at twice under warranty without resolution and I've been told they are waiting for a fix from alfa as its a known issue. Both times I was told the battery had low charge (despite having been on several long trips before dropping it off).

I did notice that the 2019 super I had as a loan worked flawlessly.

One other thing I read whilst doing research was that EFB batteries lose capacity quick quickly after a relatively short number of cycles.

I had a new AGM battery of the same size that I never got round to fitting to my old car and have swapped that in. I'll report back on whether it has made a difference in a couple of weeks.

One thing I did notice whilst changing it over was that both the positive and negative battery clamps had quite a lot of corrosion on them which is apparently a symptom of both under and over charging.
Looking forward to your comments...
I have a 2107 Speciale and everything works except - of course - the SS. I do long motorway runs to no avail. But the strangest thing is, when I leave it in the garage for a few days the SS will work for a few hours???

Oh, I have wireless induction charger for my mobile plugged into the front USB, and that keeps stopping the charge - suspect battery also. Weird battery software management :|

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I bought mine at just over 21/2 years old. From day one the stop/start worked. I didn't like it particularly turning right across oncoming traffic and pulling out of junctions. It never let me down, but I'd have preferred the engine to be running. Anyway, I got into the habit of switching the stop/start off. Just recently though I noticed that I hadn't switched stop start off but it wasn't cutting in. I do 80 miles per day so you'd imagine it gets charged pretty well, however over the winter with the lights on, wipers on, HRW being used I suppose the battery has had a pounding. This used to happen in the Giuliettas I've had in the past and hem it usually returns in the summer. Time will tell....

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
?? haven't found the switches for those...Just checked, don't get those on my spec Giulia. Perhaps that's why stop start lasted for so long on it!! Poverty spec has its benefits!!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
A minor update - I've not done much driving in the last week so haven't experienced stop start yet.

But...

I got in the car this morning and pressed the rear window heater button and it worked immediately!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
what means that according to IBS sensir your battery is charged to at least 50%
On my early 2017 Quadrifoglio with BCM software version 718, the HRW never comes on with the engine stopped even with battery at high levels of charge, but always comes on when the engine is running. Though I've not had the charge drop below 50% for sometime.

Andy

·
Registered
887 Posts
but when your battery is below 50% it won't work no matter if you had 714,718 or 724 version. haf all, proven on all (i dig with MES or oscilloscope or bus analyzer in my car fir development or as preparation of new things which i retrofit to my customers), so many times i drain beliw 50% sametimes below 35%

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
My HRW has never come on with Engine off on current BCM 718 version and earlier versions. The button needs engine running to even light up.

181 - 200 of 262 Posts