1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
bummer. i figured the grommet must be used in 'certain' cars, so it must be the JTD.

is there any room within the grommet to add your 4awg?

:)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bummer. i figured the grommet must be used in 'certain' cars, so it must be the JTD.

is there any room within the grommet to add your 4awg?

Nope it is a great big bundle of wires that fill up the whole grommet ... I think I'm just going to drill a hole next to it and put a new grommet myself ...

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I use the grommet which is used by the drain from the sun roof. Its under the funny black foam stuff that is fitted by the bonnet hinge.

·
7,713 Posts
otherwise, is your car a manual or auto (sorry, the diesel 156 was never sold here in Oz, so i've no idea)? if auto, there may be a grommet where the (manual) clutch linkage would normally pass through the firewall. though it's on the opposite side of the car to the battery, and down low.

keep hunting. there may be an alternative grommet.

@Pascs: where does that grommet lead to? base of the A-pillar inside the cabin?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So here's a picture of the grommet with the wire poking through ... it might be for the info-centre as my car has the interior facelift???

But as in TallPalls picture there is another grommet (hidden behind in my car)

And here is the picture of the grommet ... which strangely looks like it's designed to take 1 0AWG and and 8AWG cable ????

and here's the wire entering the car :thumbs:

thanks guys ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... and TallPall just how clean is your car ??? ;) my equivilant area is filled with leaves 'n' siht ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
D

·
0 Posts
My buddy has been asking about installing amp/sub in his 156 - now I know where to run the cable.
Good luck with the install :)

·
7,713 Posts
well done with the powerwiring. :)

what bizarre brand is Mutant?! :lol: i'm sure it'll do the job. at least the claimed power output is not fanciful, and appears quite realistic for the price. it's a general sign of being decent.

·
Registered
123 Posts
mutant are like a halfords special. very similar to ripspeed. they appeal to young corsa/saxo drivers over here. should get the job done though :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
... and TallPall just how clean is your car ??? ;) my equivilant area is filled with leaves 'n' siht ...
1. I am allergic to parking under trees
2. I am the only person for the next 10 miles that seems to park the car in the garage their house came with...
3. I had just removed all the leaves before I took out the rubber bit :D

Glad that helped :thumbs:

Not sure about Mutant as a brand, but the power cable is the hard job you can always throw the amplifier away later and plug in a new one ;)

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Chris you poooof your not 18 anymore :rolleyes:

:p

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Midlife Crisis matey :thumbs:
:lol: I know what you mean mate! Even though I'm 26 and have done all the hundred speakers in the boot (which ment that I couldnt have my stereo on at night very loud as it made my headlights as dim as me and I couldnt see where I was going) I want to do it again but on a smaller scale and without the dodgy wiring :lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've just done this job on my 156..

I have a large guage power cable (Fusion) that wouldn't go through anywhere inside the engine bay. We ended up feeding the damn thing under the bonnet hinge (LHS), down the door jar (behind the hinges and through a grommet we found at the bottom of the A pillar. That got it into the foot well. We then routed it under all the interior trim (with great difficulty!!) to the back seat (which we had to remove), under that and into the boot. Took about 3 hrs between us both to do a full install!!

Good luck!!

;)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've just done this job on my 156..

I have a large guage power cable (Fusion) that wouldn't go through anywhere inside the engine bay. We ended up feeding the damn thing under the bonnet hinge (LHS), down the door jar (behind the hinges and through a grommet we found at the bottom of the A pillar. That got it into the foot well. We then routed it under all the interior trim (with great difficulty!!) to the back seat (which we had to remove), under that and into the boot. Took about 3 hrs between us both to do a full install!!

Good luck!!

;)
:wow: how big ... even 0AWG would have fit through those grommits I would have thought ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts