Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I left earlier than normal for work this morning. Normal time to leave home is about 6:10am. Gets me to the M60 at about 6:20am. This morning I left earlier at 5:40am. By 5:50am I reached the M60 and all the signs were set to 60mph.
I did notice a lack of MLH's to the point only lanes one and two were in main use. Not sure what the 60mph was about but I now know it is true that MLH's are just very lazy and are not up at such times :lol:

Perhaps as mentioned above the system is learning and preparing the traffic flow :thumbs:

Reactions: stan laurel

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
I left earlier than normal for work this morning. Normal time to leave home is about 6:10am. Gets me to the M60 at about 6:20am. This morning I left earlier at 5:40am. By 5:50am I reached the M60 and all the signs were set to 60mph.
I did notice a lack of MLH's to the point only lanes one and two were in main use. Not sure what the 60mph was about but I now know it is true that MLH's are just very lazy and are not up at such times :lol:

Perhaps as mentioned above the system is learning and preparing the traffic flow :thumbs:

I had the opportunity to talk to someone from the Highways Agency a few years ago and he told me the following about a 60 limit on a smart motorway. If the gantries are set to 60mph it means we think something has happened but we're trying to find out exactly what and where.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
The real question is , what is the function of a ring road? Is it to keep long distance traffic off local roads or is it to allow short distance (junction to next junction) commuting? These two functions are not compatible and should not be combined. As mentioned above Manchester's problems are due to too many junctions and a constant need to be changing from slip road to outside lane and back to slip road again in a relatively short distance. The M62 is the Liverpool to Hull motorway which would indicate a long distance route connecting two ports, one serving the Irish Sea crossings and further afield destinations and the other crossings to the European mainland. To save money a length of this motorway has been absorbed into the ringroad and is now clogged because short distance commuting traffic is mixed up with long distance traffic. There is not a problem with the M6 passed Manchester because it is far enough out not to have been taken into the ring road and so the long distance traffic is seperated from short distance commuting. Build a new section of either ring road or M62 and the problem will be reduced. It could even be a pair of separate carriageways alongside the existing ones. Limit the access to the M62 to no more than one junction between 12 and 18 in addition to 12 and 18 themselves and then commuters will only have to deal with local traffic like themselves. Alternatively provide a decent mass transit system that means commuters don't have to take cars into the city (defined as the built up area within the ringroad)

Volume of traffic is what is clogging motorways and even continental Europe is not immune ask anyone who regularly drives through Germany/Italy past their large connurbations.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Alternatively provide a decent mass transit system that means commuters don't have to take cars into the city (defined as the built up area within the ringroad)
^ This.

If Manchester is to be the hub of a Northern powerhouse then it needs a tube system to Paris or London standards, but with the addition of an outer circular railway that means fewer journeys into the centre. We'd better get digging, or at least lobbying MPs for the billions to do it.

·
Administrator
45,771 Posts
Having experienced the M25 a bit in the last week - at least the road surface on the M60 isn't some weird corrugated concrete approach.

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It’s a little over 6 months since I started this thread and I’d like to report that the algorithms have got the ducks in a row, drivers are obeying the signs now, and the traffic is flowing much better. As I say, I’d like to report that but I can’t because, if anything, it’s ****ing worse.

Last night it took me over an hour to get from Failsworth to my house, a journey of 13 miles which is nearly all motorway. This morning I was up at 5.15am to take elder child and her mates to the airport. I collected them all and got on the M60 at Whitefield at about 6.10. I got to the Swinton interchange at about 6.15am and the traffic was stopped where the cars join from the M61. At 6.15am.

The good news is that younger child has his first driving lesson next week (how old do I feel?). When he passes, he will take ownership of Kate's Fiesta and I won't have to go on the poxy thing in rush hour any more.

·
Administrator
45,771 Posts
A large part of the M6 smart motorway has now been completed near me, meaning there are 4 available lanes instead of 3.

This has resulted in long stretches of gloriously clear carriageway. Those stretches all being in lane 1, while the cockwombles that inhabit our motorways sail along in lane 2 and often lane 3 with absolutely no-one to their left for miles.

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I can see the M6 working because the issue is volume of traffic and cretins with no sense or patience. If you keep everyone doing a similar speed, the traffic will flow better. I can grasp that concept. The problems we have are a ****ing great big roundabout with traffic lights and a junction where pretty much all of the traffic needs to change lane criss- crossing each other. Throw in cretins with no sense or patience and it'll never work.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Every day, at some point, there's a crash or someone holding the traffic to ransom by threatening to jump off a bridge,

I hate the M6 with a passion.

It is useable after 9pm and before 5am. Other than that, it's just a sludge.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
What about the smart warnings? Pretty much every second or third night as I pass the M61/A666 exit I come across standing traffic all the way down Death Valley and up beyond J17 Prestwich where I want to get off. I’m pretty sure that maybe more than 20% of users could like myself divert up the M61 if only the frikkin gantry signs told you it was STATIONARY 300 yards out of your line of vision!

Reactions: stan laurel

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Every day, at some point, there's a crash or someone holding the traffic to ransom by threatening to jump off a bridge,

I hate the M6 with a passion.

It is useable after 9pm and before 5am. Other than that, it's just a sludge.
According to today's Daily Telegraph Kady Lee who threatened to jump off an overbridge on the M602 six times between February and April, has been convicted of causing a "public nuisance". Apparently on the last occasion the road was closed for 20 minutes, nearly 1000 motorists were delayed and it cost £560 to police the incident. So what is her punishment?

12 month community order. Is that going to deter her or anybody else?

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm not sure that punishing people who are contemplating killing themselves is the way forward. I have to say that if the police get them down safe, I can live with those delays.

It's interesting to note that the Samaritans and other have put signs and flyers on a lot of the bridges around here.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
I agree that anyone committing suicide is tragic, but I've never grasped why, if it involves someone jumping off a motorway bridge, the motorway becomes a "crime scene".......if suicide is the crime, the act was commited on the bridge. I understand a short delay to clear the scene and interview anyone directly involved on the motorway, but to close the thing for hours, as seems to be case, risks causing a disproportionate amount of disruption to thousands of people. Sorry if that sound heartless, but a delay like that could easily delay an emergency vehicle on the way to another emergency where they could render real help.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I'm not sure that punishing people who are contemplating killing themselves is the way forward. I have to say that if the police get them down safe, I can live with those delays.

It's interesting to note that the Samaritans and other have put signs and flyers on a lot of the bridges around here.
I must say I tend to agree that punishment is pointless hence my final comment. However after six attempts perhaps she needs some concentrated attention to help her through her depression not just abandoning to the community. Having talked her down after 20 minutes then what happens? Apparently very little if she is back on the bridge in a few weeks starting the whole thing all over again.

The other issue is that quite often the threat is a cry for help rather than the ultimate wish to die. In these cases then perhaps repeated occurrence is causing a public nuisance and needs discouraging by treating it as a mental illness and placing the person concerned in safe/secure accommodation and not giving them community service which to someone in that frame of mind must be pretty pointless.

·
Registered
35,169 Posts
There I was making my cake for the cycling club 10th Anniversary Cake Competition and listening to the radio. There was an M25 traffic announcement that the Dartford bridge was shut. This time I will not have a crazy six hour journey home with everybody else who “depends” on that motorway. Or do they? Where are they all going and why?
One of those journeys took me onto the bridge , followed by an Ambulance apparently on an emergency call. It also had to stop for hours and hours right there. What happened? Was there another ambulance anyway. Was there no emergency?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I get the impression that a lot of people live in Kent and work in Essex or the other way round. At peak times there always seem to be a lot of joining/leaving traffic at the two or three junctions either side of the crossing.
Perhaps the problem would be less if it was easier to move house.

Alternatively could the crossing have dedicated commuting and long distance lanes? The chopping and changing lanes must contribute to the congestion and reduce the capacity.

·
Registered
35,169 Posts
I couldn’t persuade my wife , or myself for that matter, to move to Essex. And now we are still in Kent and I don’t need to join the procession you describe. The bridge enabled this and just think what distances will be possible with autonomous cars!

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
It appears I've hit a nerve with my comment.

I'm sorry if I came across as unsympathetic, please be assured that I do treat all mental health patients with respect, dignity and sympathy/empathy.

In my experience, I've known 4 people jump from a bridge, and they just did it - it's terribly sad that they got to that point, but that was the decision they made.

However, I've been to people who refuse ambulance help, just because they think being sectioned by the police is better for them...the more attention, the better (which in itself is a form of mental health problems but, in my experience, not as immediately severe), but more often than not, they have full capacity and know exactly what they are doing.

I was once held up for 4-5 hours by a bloke on a bridge who had nothing more than a political statement to make. He told police he was threatening to jump, just to increase the amount of time he gained on the bridge.

I reiterate - for those poor folk suffering with the black dog, I have every sympathy

21 - 40 of 47 Posts