Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The leather covering is peeling off my gear knob.
Can it be recovered easily does any one know?
I've had a quick look and cannot see easily how to remove the knob from the gear stick. Any advice?
Finally if I can't recover it how easy is it to get replacements?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Flick the cap off with a slim screwdriver, either at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock or 3 and 9 (I can't remember which, sorry) and the nut below will be revealed.
(Edit, apologies thought I was in the 159 lounge. Ignore above!)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The leather covering is peeling off my gear knob.
Can it be recovered easily does any one know?
I've had a quick look and cannot see easily how to remove the knob from the gear stick. Any advice?
Finally if I can't recover it how easy is it to get replacements?
Usually pulls off but I found that mine screwed off. If you heat first with a hairdrier it will be much easier -softens the glue I believe. I replaced mine with one from Alfisti.net. V good quality and excellent company to deal with but that was before pound fell against euro so not sure about value now. There are a few threads here about this.
I'm not sure that they are in any great condition to refit after you remove them so replacement is likely to be the best option unless funds are tight. God luck with it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I recovered mine with faux leather, unpeeled the old worn leather, stretched the new stuff over it and glued in place, looks good, cost about 3 quid...

·
Registered
634 Posts
On my 147,
The leather on the knob is in two parts, the perforated leather is in top condition whereas the flat leather is pretty shot especially around the top probably wear from previous owner wearing a ring. As the metal top bit is a bit scratched too.
A new leather knob looks to be £80 last time I checked!
I thought about cutting and fashioning a new bit of leather but it looks quite a rounded shape so don't know how mailable the leather would be to do so...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts