Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Just come across the forum and already gleamed a fair bit of useful information. I have a specific question, the one in my thread title in fact, that I would like to get your informed opinions on - namely whats the least amount of money I can spend on a GTV without it end in horrible tears.

I understand that, as with any car, its always best to spend the most amount of money you can spare on a GTV - same with the most comprehensive service history, lowest milage and youngest age. Thing is though, with the impending collapse of international capitalism, I don't have or want to spend a great deal on the car. To illustate what kind of car am looking at here is one I have seen (though not taken for a test drive) in Liverpool.

1996 ALFA ROMEO GTV 2.0 TS 16V Lusso 2dr Coupe

Buy a used ALFA ROMEO GTV Car - Auto Trader UK

122,344 miles

Black, 2 Door Coupe, Metallic Black, Petrol, Manual, Half Leather Interior, Sony CD Player, Average Miles with Service History, Lovely Car. PX to clear, Absolute Bargain. £1,295 No Offers.

The car looks pretty nice in the flesh - the interior looks its very good nic and the aerial even extends! It has a full service history and seems to start fine. The trader the car comes from deals only in Alfas, he seems to be a necent enough chap and is something he does as a hobby. It also comes with 3 moths warranty (which I can extend to 1 year for £100).

So what I really want to know is what can I expect if I buy this car. Has anybody else bought a gtv with this milage and at this bargain basement price? Is it really worth buying this car or should a stick with my trusty (but gallactically boring) L reg Nissan Micra?

Thanks for taking the time to read the post and any responses will be gratefully recieved.

Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Have a look at the buyers guide. Im sure you have read up on all the "well known" fault areas. Provided all the common faults check out ok i would look at 2 things. Service history and service history. Whats been done to it. When was the last cam belt change. Has it been maintain well. If the answer is yes then its probably a good buy. IMHO

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
have you seen any others? - even go and look at one that is a bit more money just to see what you are getting.
But as Oliver said, Service history is a must and up to date Cambelt change etc. It looks clean enough for a 12yr old car.
I would love to get a GTV (as well as the 166) to fly about in...one day (maybe when the credit crunch stops...

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts
It looks OK at the price but as people have said you have to look at the cambelt change history and the rear suspension in particular, along with all the " standard " things. Any dodgy electrics can also be a nightmare.......... How many keys ? Do you have the brown Master one which you may or may not ever need but you never know.

What would the warranty cover ?

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
I think it is to expensive, seller is a trader, says he has taken it in p/ex
bet he gave no more than £600,
you can find them better and cheaper
just my opinion.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It does look nice, but it isn't a Lusso - no leather and air con and the miles are high for the price. Saying that, I paid £1300 for mine with 126 000 miles a year and a half ago. GTV's seemed to have been more expensive then. Anyway, mine has been relatively good to me, just wear and tear items needing renewing. Mine came with a stamped up service book, but no receipts or anything like that - so I did some calling around and all the dealers that had serviced it in the past posted me print outs of all the history they had on the car - so it filled in the gaps and I could see what else had been done to it apart from routine servicing. Very decent of them and I hadn't expected anything back.

You could get the car cheaper elsewhere, but with 12 year old cars, condition isn't always great and this one looks nice from the photos. Up to you.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Junior might have been lucky, but 122k miles is a lot on a high performance engine and it is a shed load on a Twin Spark engine, regularly serviced or not. I would n't.....

Either way send the Micra to the crusher though.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It looks nice in the pictures but at the end of the day it is a 12 year old car and you ain't going to get much of a car for £1300.

If I were to purchase this car I would be prepared to do/sort out the following.-

Cambelt and tensioners
Suspension/brakes might need work.

If it comes with a fresh MOT then it should drive OK(no pulling to left or right),no clonks from suspension joints etc.

Check condition and level of oil,important with the twin spark engines.

But for £1300 realistically your not going to get a perfect car and it WILL cost you money to keep it on the road ,it just depends how particular you are about keeping you cars in top mechanical condition.:)

·
Registered
535 Posts
hi there.

Its not cheap for that milage. If you not too in love with the car hit him with 950£ cash in hand. or walk away.

things to check
a) service history. especially check for when clutch, cambelt, spark plugs were done (im guessing clutch will have gone with that milage). Look for evidence of work done on suspension. the bushes should have been replaced at some point.

b) take it for a drive. See if it makes any knocking noises on bumps (suspension bushes). accelerate hard and change gear. check if theres any sign of the gear change sticking a bit. Also see how much slippage there is when you pull away. If the clutch hasnt been done after 120 K chances are it will be worn. check the brakes. brake hard does it veer off to one side. Check the play on the handbrake. Check the electrics, make sure all the bulbs works. make sure there are no fault lights on.

c) check the oil. Make sure its topped up and not too black and thin. open the oil filler cap and look for any signs of white residue.

d) check tires. they are prolly all different and worn. bear in mind thats another 300-400 quid to sort.

My advice is if your after a 2.0 TS, go with a black, grey, silver or blue one. Try and get a lusso one. try and get one less than 70k thats had a cam belt change and evidence of brake pads being done and suspension bushes being done. and if u find a nice one with that sort of milage try and get it for 1.5-2K and then you will get a better investment.

My gut feel is one with 120K could end up costing you more. (although the pixs look good)

(also check like the door locking mechanism and the seals on the windows, and the seals on the door (the black rubber door seal on the drivers side is poorly designed and usualy cracks and springs out/falls off etc when u brush against it) ((check doors close properly from outside((alignment)))

make a list of all the things u would need to do on that car and get prices for that work. so you know before you buy.

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
IMO most cars at those sorts of prices will need some money spending.

People are not going to spend £400 on a cambelt change only to sell the car for £1000 shortly after for instance.

Also there is a chance at that price the car will need more money spending to get it right than it is worth, hence the reason why it is for sale.

My 2p worth, of course there are exceptions but buyer beware.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
A twinny engine needs a bit of TLC and plenty of dipstick checking. Jamie's view at the Alfa Workshop is "Alfa GTVs are reliable cars if serviced well, we have some GTV 2.0l with 190,000 miles on the clock".

As others have said... it's all about the service history.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
"whats the least amount of money I can spend on a GTV without it end in horrible tears."

One hundred billion dollars !!! ,beware buying a dog will leave you with a big hole in your pocket :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts