Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a motor industry conference and some meetings this week with employees from Honda/Toyota/Ford/GM/Fiat etc and among the chitchat/networking, i always looked forward to the question 'So what do you drive?'. I always got the knowing nod of appreciation for saying 'An Alfa Romeo'.

Anyone else get this? It comes few and far between for me, in fact some people dont recognise the name at all.

Jay

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
When I say I drive an alfa people normally say... "oooh very posh"...

I always laugh.. :lol:

Class yes, posh no.

D

·
0 Posts
Anyone else get this?
No, I normally get ... 'So how many times did you break down getting here then?' and 'Oh, so you like ending up in a pile of steam on the side of the motorway do you?'

To be honest, all the people I talk to seem to have a pretty dim view of Alfa Romeo but I don't care, I love the car.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now and then i might get people saying 'must be in the garage a lot' but not often. it was just refreshing to get that mutual acceptance of the brand

G

·
0 Posts
When somebody asked why I'm selling my GT I told them it's not fast enough. He replied that he didn't think there was a such thing as a slow Alfa

D

·
0 Posts
Ah-ha-ha, a 147JTD is fast enough to see off a Focus ST that is supposed to have 30bhp over me

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Aww I kid because I love! In fact I know very well that a remapped JTD could see my car off pretty easily under many circumstances. It's still fun though because diesels are smoky tractor monkeys :p

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,151 Posts
I stand at the office window looking out.

"What are you looking at?"
"My car"
"Which one is it?"
"The Alfa over there."

Then I get the look...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Was on the school run the other morning and was chattin to one of the dads about how impressed I was that my car warned me there was possible ice on the road :lol: he was like "Well is that not obvious when its practically freezing outside?!" I said to him "You don't understand - I've only had the car about 6 weeks and its an Alfa Romeo!" His response was "Oh well, now they are nice cars and I would be impressed if nothings broken yet but you know what they say? You've not driven until you've driven an Alfa ;) Old or new all Alfas are great!"

I was happy with that :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Iv got a mate who's got a nice brand new audi TT and he always gave me stick about my 156's; BUT now iv got my GT its a bit different,that looks nice i didn't know they looked like that inside.Iv said to him you will never know untill you have had an ALFA

D

·
0 Posts
Turning up to work in a bright orange rollerskate of a kit car always gets a crowd of people round it at kicking out time. When I roll up in it I tell people my back's in half, my ears are ringing, I've got a mouth full of flies but I'm the happiest person in the office today.

The Alfa tends to blend in a bit more, people like it and all but not as much as the rollerskate

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agreed, 'Oooohhh, very posh' is not unusual and the knowing nod is very satisfying. Occasionally followed by, 'Nice car, but how often does it...', interrupted with something to the tune of, '9 years, 2 Alfa's, not once, actually'.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
At work my 156 is parked opposite the "smokers shed", apparently it's the main topic of conversation in there :D

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
At work my 156 is parked opposite the "smokers shed", apparently it's the main topic of conversation in there :D
Which will catch fire first? the fags or the car :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I tend to get a mixed response from "oooh thats posh" from say my mum and girls at work to "oh you know what they say" - from the 25x BMW 120d or Audi A3 drivers in the work car park who seem to be really surprised that my leather interior stretches further than the gear knob and steering wheel and wasn't an £8000 option pack!:lol:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts