Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly thxs for all your advice during the build up to my 1st Alfa:)

In some ways it's been a blast but the 156 and I are parting ways, amicably I'd like to think.

What do I like:

-the looks of course
-fizzy and fun engine
-light and easy controls
-pointy steering
-well equipped

What can't I get on with:

-very personal I know but the driving position gives my back a terrible time
-the dreadful suspension, incapable, despite it's apparent complexity of dealing with the potholes and bumpy roads that bless this Isle - on the occasions I've failed to miss a pothole it makes a bang like Krakatoa
-the very average brakes, long pedal travel and inconsistent in their stopping power, a real turn off in a performance saloon IMO

Had my mileage of late been a bit less urban I may not have come the same conclusion but most of my work nowadays is within 20/30 miles of home so I'm gonna change to something modern, frugal and probably Italian:)

Thxs again for all your help. The site is a mine of great info and I've never failed to find the info I need all delivered in a friendly manner:cool:

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
That is sad news - can't tempt you to stay in an Alfa?

what are you going to buy now?

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Sorry to hear you're parting with your 156 :(

Stick around here, though:

1. the only ache you are likely to get here is an ache in your side from all the jokes which seem to be proliferating at the moment,

2. posting on AO will help soak up all the potholes of life's up and downs,

and

3. this forum has no brake pedal - we just seem to go on and on and on...........

:p

;)

What can't I get on with:

-very personal I know but the driving position gives my back a terrible time
-the dreadful suspension, incapable, despite it's apparent complexity of dealing with the potholes and bumpy roads that bless this Isle - on the occasions I've failed to miss a pothole it makes a bang like Krakatoa
-the very average brakes, long pedal travel and inconsistent in their stopping power, a real turn off in a performance saloon IMO

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thxs chaps. Oh I'll be popping in from time to time. You have a nice setup here:)

I'm around 6 months into my own business and at the moment economics is driving the issue and probably magnifying my gripes:rolleyes: .

I need a cheapish, smallish, economical, reasonably roomy car. I don't do enough miles (8-10k pa) to warrant spending any extra on a diesel engine so I'm looking at a 1.4. 40mpg or above is what I'm aiming for.

3 doors is fine. I'm gonna buy new, long warranty etc..............

I know what's on my shortlist but what do you lot think fits the bill?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tempting as the 164:D is the Grande Punto is presently top of my shopping list.........seems to fit the bill. Small cars have come an awful long way since I last tried one and I was quietly impressed with the GP:)

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
If you're only doing 8-10K per annum, why buy a small, fuel efficient car brand new, when the depreciation alone will more than destroy any savings you make in fuel?

If I were you, I'd look for a 250+bhp, anything under 4-5 grand, cause at the end of the day it'll be old and some other sucker will have coughed up for depreciation, and if you don't like it you'll be able to sell it for what you bought it for. Or get a tax exempt 1970s diesel Landy and run it on veggie, 40p/litre once you've mixed it with a bit of diesel to ease starting.. Remember as well as being exempt on tax they are exempt from MOT emissions tests too :D

So smoke on, and keep the 156 too!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Oh well, best of luck with whatever car you get :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're only doing 8-10K per annum, why buy a small, fuel efficient car brand new, when the depreciation alone will more than destroy any savings you make in fuel?

If I were you, I'd look for a 250+bhp, anything under 4-5 grand, cause at the end of the day it'll be old and some other sucker will have coughed up for depreciation, and if you don't like it you'll be able to sell it for what you bought it for. Or get a tax exempt 1970s diesel Landy and run it on veggie, 40p/litre once you've mixed it with a bit of diesel to ease starting.. Remember as well as being exempt on tax they are exempt from MOT emissions tests too :D

So smoke on, and keep the 156 too!
You're right of course but, rather boringly, I want my motoring to be as hassle free as poss for a while anyway. No MOT's, cheap road tax, half as much to insure, good fuel economy zzzzzzzzzzzzzz:D

I have a wife, 2 other cars and 3 bikes to support to.............

I've been the big car route as you've described and there's a lot to be said for it although the diesel landy has not been on the options list;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Ed, but stay with Italians... GP is a great car. And if you like diesel, the JTD 130... :D

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
No MOT's, cheap road tax, half as much to insure, good fuel economy zzzzzzzzzzzzzz:D
And driving it off the forecourt will cost you over £1000 :(

But don't take my opinions too seriously, if it wasn't for people buying cars new I wouldn't have been able to afford the Alfa when I bought it, so thanks very much :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
i can sympathise with you on the back pain front, my wife says exactly the same. i was going to fit new seats but now she just uses a big floppy black pillow to sit on, and shes fine:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Plus ca change she has gone from my life:(

Viva La Grande Punto:D

I'll put some initial impressions in other marques but suffice to say I'm well pleased...........

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Nice, what did you get for it in the end? If you don't mind me asking :D Do you need to change your member car now or do you have another 156? Serious question, some people on here have two of 'em! (SR, looking in your direction)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spose I do need to change the member car to 'Pa Pa Pa PaPaPa PAAAAARR'

Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 Active Sport:)

I don't rule out a return to the welcoming and fulsome Alfa bosom (really like the new arachnid cabrio jobbie) in the future but myself and the Memsahib getting our kicks from small cars for a while.

Our other car is a Sportka and we are both intrigued by the new 500/Ka. The small stuff is getting much more fun and exciting dontchathink?

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
If I was going to get a small car it'd have to be a low-slung, two-seater sports car. But then I'm only 21, and only have the girlfriend to cart around and she's tiny, she'd have enough leg room in the back of a Spider :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts