Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other.

Votes: 3 17.6%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought tonight on top gear some one should have checked the tyres on hamsters drag car as the right front was de/laminating. Who should cop the blame.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I'm sure the tyres were checked.

E

·
0 Posts
Difficult one, as he said and I am sure we all would have been the same. He just wanted another go. Maybe he they should have been checked better but I had a tyre that looked OK but seemed in need of balancing to down to the canvas in a 40 mile journey. I was shocked when I saw the state of it.

Thing that counts is the Hamster is fine!

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
I always thought it is the responsibilty of the person operating the vehicle to check the tyres, pressures, etc.... :rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
Just on the news, safety dweebs in
the UK are already complaining about the return
of TG.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rant: :rant: :rant:

B

·
0 Posts
;) The government or Jade Goody should be blamed for everything,this included!

I shall write a strongly worded letter to the Telegraph expressing my rationale behind this matter,and expect it to be posted in their motoring supplement.

:eek: Damn & blast......my pipes gone out.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Nev said:
Just on the news, safety dweebs in
the UK are already complaining about the return
of TG.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rant: :rant: :rant:
Sad gits with nothing better to do than take the fun out of the only fun show on TV...

Well... save that Celebrities on Ice rubbish - quite funny watching Z-list celebrities make prats of themselves!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
i read in TG magazine a number of guys had to set the car up each time he did a run, surely between them checking the tryes and whoever had the data from each run should have seeing something wrong or a potential issue

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Apparently the car owner is saying Hamster contributed towards the crah by trying to brake when the tyre went. He's claiming that the protocol was to let the car run itself to a halt, as pressing the brake destabalised the car, hence the reason the accident was so bad...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Gary Slegg said:
Apparently the car owner is saying Hamster contributed towards the crah by trying to brake when the tyre went. He's claiming that the protocol was to let the car run itself to a halt, as pressing the brake destabalised the car, hence the reason the accident was so bad...
Man, you would have to be brave not to jump on the brake pedal at nearly 300mph, whilst looking at a tyre thats de-laminating. I would imagine that it is almost instinct to press the pedal. I would imagine the owner is now saying that cause everyone has seen the tyreon his car fail, and thats what caused the crash.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Yeah, I wonder if this is going to go to court?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'd suggest Hamster had a responsibility for his own safety checks, though of course some things need a more expert.

Of course the state of the runway will have as big a part to play as tyre condition - look at concorde.

I'm betting the car's owner is throwing mud because someone's suggested he might have some liability - I noticed in the TG magazine they didn't want to talk about the specific helmet in detail for legal reasons.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
after doing a couple of runs at over 280 MPH I'm surprised they left the same tyres on it. For that reason I'd attribute blame to the car's operator as he should be aware of the stresses and heat the thing has to go through after each run.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
This isn't going to make me popular here - but I really don't like Top Gear and its presenters.

But then mine is probably the only 3.2l V6 to carry an ETA badge.

:tut: :tut: :tut:

*ducks*

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
What's an ETA badge :confused:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
What's an ETA badge :confused:
Environmental Transport Agency. An alternative to AA or RAC.

I always found myself disagreeing with what the AA said "on my behalf". I join a breakdown service to provide assistance in case I breakdown, not to have them spout their own opinions, and then claim that they are representing their membership's views. When did they ever ask me? I very much doubt that all AA members hold the same views.

Then I found that there is a motoring organisation which does more closely represent my views. Easy really.

That said, my cover currently is with the AA, as that's what came with the car.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Are you always responsible for the driving and condition of a vehicle in your charge...in the eyes of the law....?

Answer is YES.

Unless a defect was not easily identified can be traced back to the originator, where it can be proved they were responsible for causing or missing a defect on the vehicle, which later could have caused an accident or infraction.

Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts