Alfa Romeo Forum banner

381 - 400 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Fitted the new air temp sensor:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0280130073-BOSCH-TEMPERATURE-SENSOR-SENSORS-BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-PART/182492972386?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Replacing the 20 year old sensor has made the engine more reponsive and should be done by all owners of phase one cars.

Next the maf
Stupid question, but I got the old one out but the new one (identical) doesn’t want to go back in. Is there a special way to get this seated right? I don’t like forcing it.

·
Administrator
5,048 Posts
I applied a little bit of silicon-free grease to the inner edge of the hole then put the sensor at an angle into the hole to get it started then rotated it anti-clockwise and it popped in. HTH

·
Administrator
5,048 Posts
Just been for a test drive after fitting my new MAF.

The engine had an ever so slight hesitancy before, on pick up between changing gears which has gone completely.

The new MAF is MAPCO 42003 and is a direct replacement for the Bosch Maf.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thought I'd add my Ph1 96 2.0
Had this beauty for 12 years.
Thousands spent and still smiling 😁

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Just added myself to the club, with a December 1998- built V6 that I unearthed from a 4-year long sleep in a North Devon garage, with a non running engine (old cambelt) and no brakes!

As you can imagine, it needs a lot of TLC to bring it back from the dead but is totally unmodified, has minimal rust, an almost perfect redstyle interior with red carpet and optional wood dash, two original keys and remotes plus red code key (all working) and all service history from new.
I’m looking forward to spending some time and love on it this Winter. Wish me luck :rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi 916ers, this is my absolutely original 1996 GTV 2.0. Las year I had changed the sunroof and the exhaust line completely from the catalyst to the tail, and recently a new radiator and a second hand engine head was mounted because a problem of overtemperature caused by the breakage of the old radiator. Now is in perfect conditions to run.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Got this Gtv v6 ph1 in November 2017 as a non runner off eBay and got it running the same day I collected it.
Since then I’ve done loads to it this is the main items
Redone timing belt
Gta inlet cams
Full service with plugs
Thermostat
Radiator and antifreeze
Remus exhaust
Detailed engine
Q2 diff
Rebuilt drive shafts
330mm Brembos discs and pads
Some brake pipes and all flex is new fluid
Rear discs pads
Hand brake cables
17” teledails had them refurbished new tyres had my gta teledails on it for 8 months
Head lining retrimmed

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got this Gtv v6 ph1 in November 2017 as a non runner off eBay and got it running the same day I collected it.
Since then I’ve done loads to it this is the main items
Redone timing belt
Gta inlet cams
Full service with plugs
Thermostat
Radiator and antifreeze
Remus exhaust
Detailed engine
Q2 diff
Rebuilt drive shafts
330mm Brembos discs and pads
Some brake pipes and all flex is new fluid
Rear discs pads
Hand brake cables
17” teledails had them refurbished new tyres had my gta teledails on it for 8 months
Head lining retrimmed
Hi All, browsing and just came across this site. I have a May 96 N Reg 2l TS in grey. I have to be honest and admit that despite owning numerous Alfa's over the last 30 odd years, a lot of what you say might as well be an alien language as I am a complete biff and the techie stuff. I'm never happier than when behind the wheel of an Alfa but have been quite unlucky with some I have.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Started work on stripping my GTV and it is certainly an education! Getting cylinder heads off a GTV V6 is a challenge, due to the lack of space - virtually everything needs to be removed!!

I've started my own Alfa Romeo Youtube channel and will be featuring this car rebuild in early 2019.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Started work on stripping my GTV and it is certainly an education! Getting cylinder heads off a GTV V6 is a challenge, due to the lack of space - virtually everything needs to be removed!!

I've started my own Alfa Romeo Youtube channel and will be featuring this car rebuild in early 2019.
Nice!

Make sure that you put some links up on here, or even better do a thread (the pictures lounge is a good place to do that).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Will do Starkers, I’m making progress now - got the front head off and the rear one will be removed on Saturday then off to the engine builder for a skim / repair as needed, although the supposedly damaged head looks absolutely unmarked! (Dont trust anyone :wink:)
The costs are adding up dramatically though, as everything I remove in this engine rebuild is either worn out or rusty. So far I’ve had to add
New radiator
New coolant pipes
New aircon condensor
New plugs
New induction flexy pipe
New airbox
New head gaskets and all thermostat gaskets
New anti knock sensors
New rubber inlet runner connectors
New nearside engine mount
New cambelt kit with tensioners etc.
This is all before I get started on the completely missing brake pipes and the knackered discs & pads, respray and the various other bits that will need work! What have I done :jester::paranoid:

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Unclejam,

Sounds like your list is the same that mine was - took about 5 months but I had the added pleasure of stripping the running gear and removing all of the under-seal. All rot was cut out and replaced with fresh steel. Take your time and enjoy it!
Regards
Jim

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Cheers Jim, yes I am enjoying it but wish I had more time to spend on it. I’ll also have to strip the suspension as the struts look a bit iffy and the bushes will need inspecting on the front at least, rear ones look ok. Calipers will all need rebuilt too. There is a small area of perforating rust on the rear floorpan in the area under the passengers feet. A scab on a wheelarch and a few other areas need the wire brush and POR15 too but nothing significant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anybody noticed the red Phase 1 Spider that's lurking in the workshop in the latest series of Salvage Hunters- Classic Cars?
Does not appear that it's being worked on but just pops up in the odd cameo, mostly when Paul Cowland is doing a piece to camera or in an aerial shot parked alongside the building.
Would be excellent if they featured a 916 in a future programme but I'm not holding my breath.....

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
381 - 400 of 422 Posts